Ladies, what is your choice for formal night?

ekerr19

What do you preder to wear?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. What do you preder to wear?

• All out, floor length gown with all the accessories...
    • I prefer a cocktail or tea length gown with all accessories
    • The sexiest dress I can find!
    • Skirt (any length) with sequined top or nice sweater and/or jacket
    • Dressy pants suit or other 2-piece dressy outfit
    • I prefer slacks and a nice blouse and/or jacket
    • I only dress for comfort
    • I don't dress for formal night

Do you go all out? Are gowns and strappy sandals your thing? Is comfort key? Are you somewhere in between?

Personally, I think ladies have much more leeway than the men - we can get by with just about any outfit - simple black slacks and a silk blouse can be dressed up with shoes and accessories...

So, let's hear from the gals out there, how do you prefer dressing on formal nights?

Actually most of my formal wear is long dresses but I do have one black Tea Length that is quite dressy with sequins. I do try to wear some what comfortable shoes although my black strappy heels are not that comfortable but it looks the best with that tea length dress. Otherwise I wear a pair of Nordstom low heel patent.

I picked Cocktail dress for my first choice, but usually one of the two Formal Nights I like to wear a Dressy long shirt with a very dressy top. :)
What ???? No bottoms !!!!!

I usually go for the best looking and fitting dress I can find. It doesn't matter what the length is. Love plain, classic, and simple. I not much for bows, lace, and frilly stuff. I like something that hides the bad parts and emphasizes the good parts. :D

I didn't answer the poll because I don't have a set answer; it depends on many things - not only on a cruise but for any formal occasion. What is available? What will my partner be wearing? Am I healthy and well? Have I recently put on weight? Lost weight? Is there anything in particular I want to wear with my clothes - certain shoes, certain jewelry? Generally, I'd say I prefer either a gown or a cocktail dress most of the time. Depending on my mood (feeling yucky and frumpy), I might go with a dressy pantsuit...and if I'm sexy, it's probably by accident, LOL!

I agree we have a lot more leeway than the men. Then again, they don't have to make as many tough choices and they can wear the same suit with different shirt and tie and be okay. I think it's a wash since I find decision-making a sometimes agonizing experience.

I love to wear a proper formal gown with all the trimmings but as we have weight restrictions I have now limited myself to a one long formal black skirt with different dressy tops and of course black, strappy sandals.

If we were sailing out of Australian waters I would bring the "works".

Jennie

I didn't answer the poll because I don't have a set answer; it depends on many things - not only on a cruise but for any formal occasion. What is available? What will my partner be wearing? Am I healthy and well? Have I recently put on weight? Lost weight? Is there anything in particular I want to wear with my clothes - certain shoes, certain jewelry? Generally, I'd say I prefer either a gown or a cocktail dress most of the time. Depending on my mood (feeling yucky and frumpy), I might go with a dressy pantsuit...and if I'm sexy, it's probably by accident, LOL!

I agree we have a lot more leeway than the men. Then again, they don't have to make as many tough choices and they can wear the same suit with different shirt and tie and be okay. I think it's a wash since I find decision-making a sometimes agonizing experience.

What, Scrumpy, no loincloth or guayabera in your/partner's closet? I couldn't resist!!;)

I agree with your posting,,,it all depends. I don't think formal just means long gowns, though, if I feel like it, I will happily wear one. It's all about being tasteful, comfortable and relaxed. It sounds like people really obsess about what they wear... I choose what I like and go with it. It's supposed to be a fun undertaking, not an opportunity to tense up and/or pick apart other people's choices. Does anyone really do that on a trip? (rhetorical question here) Personally, I am too busy enjoying myself to waste time/energy on petty minutiae. Anyway, after the first glass of champagne, who cares about clothes anyhow?:p

I agree with Scrumpy...although I voted for all out floor length...what girl doesnt want to be Cinderella for one night???? I ususally do one night floor length...and one night in my never ending supply of black dresses...

For almost all formal nights, I wear a long gown. Many times I wear a long black crepe (or satin or silk) sheath style dress usually with some sort of beading. Being a slim cut, that style packs easily. Always a strappy sandal and accessories/jewelry.

I always bring a long black dressy crepe (or satin or silk) long skirt (again, slim cut for easy packing) and a beaded/sequined top as an alternative if I'm not in the 'mood' for the long gown routine. I wear that with the strappy sandals and jewelry etc and feel appropriately dressed.

Gosh Laura! What a question! Scrumpy and Caribbean Girl have answered it pretty well for me, except that my sandals tend to be more orthopedic and less dressy. Most of my dresses that I wear when playing harp gigs are long - although not necessarily "formal", so I usually bring along one or two of these, plus costume jewelry more gaudy than I usually wear. On a cruise of three formal nights I wear one dress twice.

Planning for a 14 day Alaska trip in September - I will probably wear the same long dress for all three formal nights, along with mukluks. ;)

I didn't answer the poll questions, sorry.

Hubby wears a dark suit - different tie on different nights.

Gerry

It was difficult to vote from the selection. After many years of packing heavy sequined dresses or tops, I now try to travel light. So now it is long black skirt or dressy evening pants with different tops and jackets. I particularly like nice evening type jackets that can be worn with the basic black skirt or pant. This way I can mix and match and it has cut down on the heavy luggage.

Always take long gowns and on the longer cruises I supplement those with a long black skirt and various beaded/sequin tops as well as my old stand-by a navy lace pants outfit.

Classic black cocktail-length dress - silver jewelry - tall strappy slingbacks.

On our cruise, the majority of women wore black, so colored dresses really stood out - just lovely. I loved all of the sparkly tops, too. Everyone looked wonderful.

I had such a hard time answering because my style isn't really there. I tried to check 2. Mine's a combination of the first, second and third. My dresses are longer than tea length, but not floor length. I also have formal pants. But I always like the idea of being a little big sexy, too (quite a challenge;) )

I'm a big "Chico's" dresser so it's basically a mix with jackets over dresses, etc ... almost always black and some glitter here and there. I'm very understated and conservative.

I am always frozen in the dining room so it's difficult. Usually I am very warm in any surrounding, but I freeze in all cruiseline's dining rooms. On one cruise, the Maitre D' finally wrapped a tablecloth around my shoulders to warm me. That was a delightful look for the ship's photographer:D

... On one cruise, the Maitre D' finally wrapped a tablecloth around my shoulders to warm me. That was a delightful look for the ship's photographer:D

LOVE this story - so funny!!!

I voted for long formal gowns, mostly because for the first time in my life I suddenly have a few. Am having so much fun dressing up and enjoying sequins at age 52.

That's what happens when woman with exactly one long, black, plain dress, her first since the prom and bought for her first cruise (me a few years ago) meets man with mulitple tuxedos who has worn them since high school and likes to go all out. One of us had to give in. ;)

I'm 5'10" and sometime *cocktail* dresses can look not formal enough. I prefer slik floor length gowns that have some type of sweep train or a train that is just a bit longer. I try to go for the elegant, red carpet type of look. I've never cruised and am hoping this look serves me well on formal night!

I'm 5'10" and sometime *cocktail* dresses can look not formal enough. I prefer slik floor length gowns that have some type of sweep train or a train that is just a bit longer. I try to go for the elegant, red carpet type of look. I've never cruised and am hoping this look serves me well on formal night!

Classy - I'm sure you'll look stunning! Best of all, you'll feel like a million bucks!!!

Boy, I wish I were that tall... I'm only 5' 2-1/2" (got to get that 1/2 inch in there, lol!) most of the time I need 4" heels or alterations!

Archived