A Navigator of the Seas mystery

I'm looking for an answer from our Royal Caribbean experts here at Cruisecritic ‘cuz I’m puzzled about something. Here's the mystery:

If you look at a recent review of the Navigator of the Seas posted by Cuizer2 – here’s the link to his review -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1810031 – and if you then go to post #6, you’ll see a picture of a ship. It clearly shows the name, “Navigator of the Seas.” But, is it REALLY the Navigator of the Seas in that photo?

How could I possible question the picture and my own eyes? Well, look at recent pictures of the Navigator of the Seas. You can see some in Cuizer2’s own review. You’ll see that the ship he was on, the Navigator of the Seas -- has balconies that use glass (or plexi-glass?) below the railing. And, if you look carefully, you’ll notice that in these recent pictures of the NOS, the balconies jut out from the main body, if you will, of the ship.

Now, compare how the NOS balconies look today to the earliest Voyager class ships, the Adventure, the Voyager and the Explorer (I believe these are the 1st three Voyager class ships). They have all-steel balconies, with steel below the railing; no glass.

So, as far as I can figure, the possibilities are two: One is that the so-called Navigator picture in post #6, apparently from Royal Caribbean itself, was a picture of a different Voyager class ship, with the name altered to Navigator. Maybe an advertising company took some liberties with the photo? The other possibility is that when the Navigator was first built it was built with all steel balconies but was later dry-docked and converted to glass-below-the-railing balconies.

I am guessing that the picture was doctored. My only reason for guessing that is that I’m also guessing that it would have been a cost-prohibitive remodel to convert the balconies from all-steel to glass-below-the-railing.

So, what gives? Are there any RCI experts out there who know the true story? I’d like to hear. Thanks for you input.

Boy do you pay attention to details! I think you are right...the photo in the review has been retouched. I am almost positive that photo is not the Navigator because she has balconies like the Mariner, with no steel hull around the balconies. I think that photo must be Voyager or one of the other early Voyager class ships. Good catch!

It's certainly a RCI stock photo and it's probably a publicity photo for the ship from before she was launched. They've done this with other ships and have made errors there as well.

Take a look at this picture -- it's got Indy's name on it, but it is NOT Indy. Anyone know why? :D

This picture came from one of RCI's worldwide itinerary guides from 2011 or so. :)

Scan20100428-1.JPG

It's certainly a RCI stock photo and it's probably a publicity photo for the ship from before she was launched. They've done this with other ships and have made errors there as well.

Take a look at this picture -- it's got Indy's name on it, but it is NOT Indy. Anyone know why? :D

This picture came from one of RCI's worldwide itinerary guides from 2011 or so. :)

Scan20100428-1.JPG

Indy doesn't have a big screen by the pool?

Indy doesn't have a big screen by the pool?

The catalog pre-dated Liberty's upgrades, so at the time none of the Freedom class ships had big screens.

Hint, look around the bridge area. :)

It's got Liberty's Penguins.

Yup! :D

It's a great picture of Liberty of the Seas with Indy's name on her. I would be willing to bet that almost every ship has a stock photo somewhere with the wrong ship name on her. :rolleyes:

Here is the original photograph that I used. I erased the "Navigator of the Seas" from the ocean before posting because I thought it detracted from the picture ...

NavOTS_zpse7f23c45.jpg

Here is another photograph I was given on the same cruise ...

Navatnight_zpsd73d93f1.jpg

Here is a stock photo I downloaded from either Royal Caribbean or the builder of the ship (I don't remember which or when) ...

NavigatorfromRoyalCaribbean_zps1e3772f1.jpg

I actually have stock photographs of all the Voyager class ships.

Here are pictures of the Navigator that I know are of the Navigator because I took the photograph ...

Docked in Cozumel in August 2004 ...

NavinCoz2004_zpse4683a33.jpg

Taken from a tender in Labadee in August 2004 ...

NavinLabadee2004_zpsf29ec8c6.jpg

Taken from a tender in Grand Cayman in March 2013 ...

ShipI_zps7357719c.jpg

• 3 months later...

That's like one of the photos of the Royal Promenade in Royal's brochure for Australia & NZ. It's supposedly Voyager of the Seas' Promenade but it's not. Infact, I dont even think it's from any of the Voyager class ships. Did some noseying around the ship plans and photos in a brochure for worldwide cruises and worked out that the photo in the brochure for Australia & NZ is actually of Freedom or a Freedom class ship!

That's like one of the photos of the Royal Promenade in Royal's brochure for Australia & NZ. It's supposedly Voyager of the Seas' Promenade but it's not. Infact, I dont even think it's from any of the Voyager class ships. Did some noseying around the ship plans and photos in a brochure for worldwide cruises and worked out that the photo in the brochure for Australia & NZ is actually of Freedom or a Freedom class ship!

Here are some Freedom of the Seas Royal Promenade photos ...

1sph-IMG_1719.jpg

1spi-IMG_1720.jpg

1spm-IMG_1716.jpg

1spf-IMG_1714.jpg

1spe-IMG_1710.jpg

1spl-IMG_1721.jpg

Did it look like any of these?

The cafe promenade looks like it could match up. It's definitely not a pic of Voyager's cafe promenade in the brochure! Will have to see if I can scan the brochure pics somehow!

Also the marketing of Voyager's cruises to and from Australia, you are lead to believe that the Promenade is just unique to Voyager! But here on CC we know better!

Archived