Cruises that include Denmark, Scotland, Ireland, Nova Scotia, etc.

lovevacadays

Some of the Transatlantics in the spring and autumn include most if not all of these countries. Check Princess and HAL

I'm looking at the Royal TA for 2014. Just curious about what people thought of these ports. I've always wanted to see Ireland so I'm pretty sure I would like this cruise.

Michelle, Copenhagen was one of my favourite European cities. Very walkable, lots of fun areas to explore, some excellent restaurants, nice people (they speak better English than we Americans, but they're all very polite and won't make you feel too inferior for not speaking your native language as well as they do). A wonderful place to spend a few days pre-cruise. I loved Scotland and would go back any time to see more of it. Friendliest people in Europe -- seriously. They're like American Southerners, only without the awful sweet tea. And I have a friend who vacations in Nova Scotia every year and would move there if she could -- she raves about it. Halifax has the Titanic museum and an historic downtown. Plus you get a taste of Norway on this cruise. And, while I've only seen Iceland from the air, it looked very cool (pun intended). So to sum up, I think it sounds like an awesome cruise. I'd go for it.

I'm thinking about a cruise that includes these areas. If you have cruised in this region what did you like about it? What suggestions do you have? What can I expect for weather in September? Thanks.:):):)
Michelle, this is a terrific itinerary, better than my previous northern T/A. The weather can be very iffy, however, and often, one or more ports are missed. On our Crown cruise a few years ago, we missed Belfast and Reykjavik and it was chilly and/or rainy a good part of the cruise.

I've never been to Kristiansand so it'll be fun to research it. I want to go to the Giant's Causeway in Belfast as I didn't get to go there the last time. I've never been to Halifax either. :)

I'm sure people will be putting together private tours in most of the ports.

Hi There

Have done this route but not in one cruise, would be fun to do,

to see Belfast where Titanic was born Cobh were see last made land fall

then Halifax were some of her passengers rest, then New York, and see

the old pier where she would have docked,

this is a cruise worth doing,

yours Shogun

Michelle, Copenhagen was one of my favourite European cities. Very walkable, lots of fun areas to explore, some excellent restaurants, nice people (they speak better English than we Americans, but they're all very polite and won't make you feel too inferior for not speaking your native language as well as they do). A wonderful place to spend a few days pre-cruise. I loved Scotland and would go back any time to see more of it. Friendliest people in Europe -- seriously. They're like American Southerners, only without the awful sweet tea. And I have a friend who vacations in Nova Scotia every year and would move there if she could -- she raves about it. Halifax has the Titanic museum and an historic downtown. Plus you get a taste of Norway on this cruise. And, while I've only seen Iceland from the air, it looked very cool (pun intended). So to sum up, I think it sounds like an awesome cruise. I'd go for it.

Oh my goodness, thanks for the back-handed compliment, I think. You know, most of us down this way have roots in Scotland & Ireland and not all of us drink the sugared up sweet tea (I love Splenda ;))

Talk to your travel agent.

Why this type of response? OP knows she can talk to her travel agent, but she wanted cruisers' experiences and comments, which she cannot get from a travel agent. This is why she posted this here.

Michelle, that cruise sounds absolutely wonderful! You and Pam should have a great time!

Michelle, this is a terrific itinerary, better than my previous northern T/A. The weather can be very iffy, however, and often, one or more ports are missed. On our Crown cruise a few years ago, we missed Belfast and Reykjavik and it was chilly and/or rainy a good part of the cruise.

I've never been to Kristiansand so it'll be fun to research it. I want to go to the Giant's Causeway in Belfast as I didn't get to go there the last time. I've never been to Halifax either. :)

Thanks Pam.:)

Love the cool weather in these ports. Nice to walk around in the fresh air.

Summer crowds should be gone then. Cruising into NYC, an awesome experience. We did this two years ago. In the very early morning we saw the Statue Of Liberty's torch lit up coming through the fog. Patriotic music was playing on the ship (About 6:00am) and narration by Maxtone-Graham). We were so lucky to have him and his wife on board. When the Statue came into full view, unbelievable.

Even if there is a port you miss, it will still be fabulous trip. We were lucky,

only port we missed was a second Greenland port (town population 1100 people). Don't think we missed much. No tours there anyway.

Halifax, a really beautiful city.

Born and raised in Nova Scotia. Beautiful fall weather in September. If your looking for Titanic theme, there are many tours offerings in this area. Maritime Museum of the Atlanic is wonderful. Just a great city to wander and explore.

Talk to your travel agent.

I do talk to my travel agent. However, I was posting here to get feedback from cruise critic posters. There are many people's opinions I trust on these boards. Did you have anything you might want to say about these ports?

Hi Pam in CA. Great to hear you are looking forward to researching Kristiansand. Do let us know if there is anything we can help you with. Our website is www.visitkrs.no - there should be some inspiration for you there.

Please ask any questions on here - we do try our best to pick up queries about Kristiansand, but there are some that we miss. Also have a look at our Facebook pages (Cruise Sorlandet and Visit Kristiansand) - where you will find, amongst other Things, photos of the region.

Welcome to Kristiansand!

Kind regards,

Kristiansand Tourist Information

Michelle, I saw this cruise yesterday, wow I would love to do it.

Now for the Canada/NE part of the trip, I did the CB Canada/NE sailing 2 yrs ago in mid September and we had great weather. Upper 60's-low 70's, a little foggy in St. John's but you couldn't ask for better "walking around, exploring weather".

Hi Pam in CA. Great to hear you are looking forward to researching Kristiansand. Do let us know if there is anything we can help you with. Our website is www.visitkrs.no - there should be some inspiration for you there.

Please ask any questions on here - we do try our best to pick up queries about Kristiansand, but there are some that we miss. Also have a look at our Facebook pages (Cruise Sorlandet and Visit Kristiansand) - where you will find, amongst other Things, photos of the region.

Welcome to Kristiansand!

Kind regards,

Kristiansand Tourist Information

Thank you so much for posting this link. I saved it in my favorites. I will be on this cruise as well and look forward to being in your area.

In reply to Michelle's query about ports on a Northern TA.

All the ports you listed are wonderful, very different from each other. But if your ship stops in St John's, Newfoundland, you are in for a treat. It is a wonderful port and has SO much to see. Cape Spear, the most easterly point of land in North America; Signal Hill, high above the entrance to the harbour, where Guglielmo Marconi made communications history when he received the first transatlantic wireless signal in 1901; the Johnson Geo Centre, just down from Signal Hill, where you can see and touch living rock that is 4 billion years old; and visit The Rooms, the provincial museum of Newfoundland and Labrador.

The houses in St John's are painted yellows, greens, reds and blues. If you are looking for a hand-knit sweater, then Nonia (at the corner of Water and George Streets) is where you should shop. If you fancy Fish and Chips, then Ches's is the place to go. For a relaxing drink, try the Duke of Duckworth Pub, down the stairs from Duckworth Street.

We do not live in St John's or even in Newfoundland, but it is our most favourite place to go.

BTW, we are also doing the Baltic/TA on Royal in September 2014, Berlin (Warnemunde) to NYC. Perhaps we'll meet you on board.

Happy travels!

Midge and Michael

Archived