Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old June 15th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Disney 7 Night mediterranean Cruise

I am wondering if anyone can make recommendations for port excursions to Villefranche, La Spezia, Civitavecchia, & Naples. The choices are overwhelming, and this is our first-time traveling to Europe with our 12-year old & 2 19-year olds. Which cities are the best to see? Should we limit our time to one area, or try to see 2 to 3 cities/towns, as many excursions offer? Should we take the tours offered by Disney, or try to navigate some of these ports on our own? Which cities are must-sees? Which are disappointing? Should we try to do excursions at all 4 ports, or is it too exhausting to see all of them on back to back days? We currently have a Disney excursion scheduled for each of the 4 ports, but I just don't know if we've chosen the right ones. We currently plan to see the following:

Villefranche: Monaco, Monte Carlo, & Eze
La Spezia: Florence & Michelangelo
Civitavecchia: Vatican City, the Coliseum, & Catacombs
Naples: Pompeii, Sorrento, & Capri

We would be completely open to trying a different excursion, tour company, or exploring a bit on our own with some solid guidance. I'd love some honest opinions from people who know more than I do about these ports!

Old June 15th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

You would be best posting this on the appropriate ports of call boards.

Old June 15th, 2013, 10:54 AM
5,000+ Club

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You might want to check if there is a roll call for your cruise. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=451 You can "meet" some people on your cruise and perhaps arrange excursions.

Here is the ports of call board. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=603

Hope you have a great cruise!
Raffaello - 1968
MV Three Gorges - 1988
Atlas - 1995
Olympic - 1996
Constellation - 2005
Disney Fantasy - 2012
Queen Elizabeth - World Voyage 2014

World Voyage Blog - kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com

Old June 15th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We went on an 11 night Disney Med cruise 3 years ago. Unlike other cruise lines, Disney has unique shore excursions which are unlike other cruise lines. You will get more responses on the Disney board, but here's what we did.

In Villefranche, we did the Eze perfume making excursions. It was fun. In La Spezia, we went to the castle which had a tie-in with dinosaurs. That was not fun - mostly because of the other large group that came through the castle at the same time and tried to pick my pocket, but also because of the tour guide who stopped at a square for "10 minutes" which turned into an hour of waiting.

We did private excursions in Naples and Rome with Rome in Limo. We used tour guides in addition to the driver for both, but when we went again, last year, we just used the driver.

42 nights with RCCL, 7 nights with Carnival, 11 nights with Disney, 14 nights with Princess, 45 nights with HAL

Old June 15th, 2013, 11:27 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandajo66 View Post
I am wondering if anyone can make recommendations for port excursions to Villefranche, La Spezia, Civitavecchia, & Naples. The choices are overwhelming, and this is our first-time traveling to Europe with our 12-year old & 2 19-year olds. Which cities are the best to see? Should we limit our time to one area, or try to see 2 to 3 cities/towns, as many excursions offer? Should we take the tours offered by Disney, or try to navigate some of these ports on our own? Which cities are must-sees? Which are disappointing? Should we try to do excursions at all 4 ports, or is it too exhausting to see all of them on back to back days? We currently have a Disney excursion scheduled for each of the 4 ports, but I just don't know if we've chosen the right ones. We currently plan to see the following:

We would be completely open to trying a different excursion, tour company, or exploring a bit on our own with some solid guidance. I'd love some honest opinions from people who know more than I do about these ports!
We did the DCL Med cruise in 2010. We did the Monaco, Monte Carlo, & Eze tour and enjoyed it. It has a lot of walking, but the weather was beautiful and not many people were there that day.

In La Spezia we went to Florence & Pisa. Mostly because I've always wanted to see the Leaning Tower. We were late back to the ship due to some people who felt they didn't have to keep up with the group and traffic.

Civitavecchia - Taste of Rome. We saw Trevi Fountain, walked over to the Forum and through it, Coliseum, and then to Vatican City. There we were given gelato tickets (one each) and had 2 or 3 hours free time (I forget how much). We ate lunch, and went to St Peters (including the catacombs). It's at least a 1 hour bus ride from/to the ship to Rome, so this was a long day.

Naples - Timeless Pompeii & the Flavor or Sorrento. JMO, adding Capri to this would make a very full day, with the feeling that you really didn't see anything. Most reports I've read say that Capri should be a trip unto itself, as the time involved in getting there (and back) is quite long. That's what we plan to do the next time, just go to Capri.

Old June 15th, 2013, 11:38 AM
50,000+ Club

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Be sure to post this on the ports of call boards.

France for the french port, Italy for the Italy port and so forth.

Keith

Old June 15th, 2013, 04:59 PM
10,000+ Club

Get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports and read what he has to say about what you can see in those ports in the time you have, and how to do it. On his website you can download free audio tours of Rome, Pompeii, and Florence for mp3 and ipod, along with maps. The slow train to Rome will take 1-1/4 hour and price of r/t ticket includes public transport in Rome. Once you get there, Rome and Florence are very walkable cities. EM
Queen Elizabeth 15 May 2013 4 nights Inside
Celebrity Infinity 16 April 2013 B2B San Diego to Harwich 27 nights OV/Concierge
Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean 4/30 - 5/24/2012 24 nights Inside
Millennium B2B2B 2/6-20/2012 Caribbean 14 nights Concierge/Inside/Inside
Caribbean Princess 10/29/2011 Caribbean Islander NY to FLL 10 nights Mini-suite
Celebrity Solstice 5/1/2011 FLL to Barcelona 13 nights Concierge
Carnival Fascination 2/28/11 Bahamas 5 nights OV
Queen Mary 2 12/8/2010 Caribbean Delights 11 nights Balcony
Celebrity Summit 10/24/10 B2B NY to San Juan 13 nights OV/Balcony
Emerald Princess 8/29/10 Western Caribbean 7 nights Inside
Diamond Princess 5/29/10 B2B Alaska Inside
Westerdam 2/7/10 Eastern & Southern Caribbean 14 nights Inside
Carnival Dream 10/27/09 Transatlantic 16 nights Cove balcony
Carnival Sensation 6/18/09 Bahamas 3 nights inside
Carnival Splendor 5/17/09 B2B Mexi-not to Canada 14 nights 4J inside
Oosterdam 2/28/09 San Diego to Rome 32 nights OV
Carnival Fascination 12/13/08 Bahamas 5 nights Inside
Queen Elizabeth 2 7/31/08 Lands of Fire and Ice 12 nights OV
Celebration 3/27/08 Bahamas 4 nights Porthole
Celebration 1/26/08 Bahamas 5 nights Inside
Norwegian Spirit 10/20/07 CTN 1 night Inside
Elation 4/23/07 B2B Bahamas 10 nights Inside
Zenith 8/2006 Bermuda 7 nights OV
Calypso 7/2005 Greek Isles 4 nights Inside
Star Princess Inaugural 2/2002 Pacific Rim Singapore to LA 26 nights Balcony
Millennium 8/2000 Baltic 14 nights Balcony
Fantasy 6/1999 Bahamas 4 nights Porthole
Royal Princess 1/1999 Buenos Aires to Manaus 14 nights OV
Home Lines Oceanic x 2 1973 NYC to Nassau 7 nights
Homes Lines Homeric x2 Eastern Caribbean 1972 10 nights

Old June 15th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandajo66 View Post

Your cruise sounds wonderful. Yes, I'd definately do all four ports. That's why you go to the Mediterranean and while you'll be tired after day four you can always rest on day #5. The only change I might make to the itinerary is to choose an excursion that goes to Sorrento and Pompeii but skips Capri. That would slow your day down and make it more enjoyable.