R Class Interiors

hypercafe

I was reading a thread on the Azamara board talking about the fact that the Interiors of their ships being the same as when they came out. I was wondering about the ones Oceania has. Are they the same or more like the Riviera?

Nothing like the O class ships

More "clubby."

O class ships are more sleek and glitzy

When the ships are renovated in 2014, I suspect there will be considerable changes. We know the artwork with change and I cannot imagine that there will not be some changes to the interiors.

Nothing like the O class ships

More "clubby."

O class ships are more sleek and glitzy

When the ships are renovated in 2014, I suspect there will be considerable changes. We know the artwork with change and I cannot imagine that there will not be some changes to the interiors.

According to the official announcement the only changes will be to some dining areas and a re-do of the bathrooms in the Owners and Vista Suites. The interiors of the R ships have been beautifully maintained and materials replaced as needed. Hopefully they won't GLITZ them up like the O ships when they're classy and warm and inviting as they are. :confused:

According to the official announcement the only changes will be to some dining areas and a re-do of the bathrooms in the Owners and Vista Suites. The interiors of the R ships have been beautifully maintained and materials replaced as needed. Hopefully they won't GLITZ them up like the O ships when they're classy and warm and inviting as they are. :confused:

The announcement also spoke of changing the artwork throughout the ship -- perhaps to bring it more in line with the art collections on the O class ship. I cannot imagine that a change in the all the artwork won't be bring some changes to the interiors, but I did not mean to imply that the ships would be glitzed up like the O ships. I too much prefer the warm and inviting feeling of the R ships to the more stylized design of the O ships.

I think the announcement did say they would update the cabins also at least the one I read on Travel weekly, not just the upper suites. I suppose this would not be a major change just routine upkeep.

I believe some areas will be changed - see the official statement below

Oceania Cruises today announced that Regatta, Insignia and Nautica, its trio of award-winning R-Class ships, will undergo a significant transformation starting early next year in the largest refurbishment program in the company’s history.

The ships will receive a $50 million upgrade in a six-week timeframe that includes the refurbishment of suites, staterooms and select public rooms, some in the colors and décor-style found on the line’s newest ships – Marina and Riviera. The ships’ top accommodations, the Owner’s and Vista suites, will receive new bathrooms including the addition of oversized showers and new vanities. Original artwork, in-line with the celebrated collection on Marina and Riviera, will be commissioned for all suites and staterooms.

The Terrace Café, which offers casual gourmet dining, will also be completely refurbished including the addition of a state-of-the-art grill allowing for grilled dinner specialties such as lobster tails, steaks and lamb chops made famous onboard Marina and Riviera.

The company is also adding to Regatta, Insignia and Nautica the popular Baristas coffee bar found on its newest ships. Guests will enjoy complimentary gourmet and specialty illy™ coffees including espressos, cappuccinos and lattes as well as homemade croissants, biscotti and finger sandwiches throughout the day.

“This refurbishment program is an incredible undertaking but we are excited by the opportunity to bring some of the best features of our O-Class ships to Regatta, Insignia and Nautica,” said Kunal S. Kamlani, president of Oceania Cruises. “We will preserve the personality, elegance and comfort of these vessels while furnishing certain areas with the updated décor and amenities that are found on Marina and Riviera. This will ensure a consistent experience across the fleet that we know our guests will love and appreciate.”

Horizons, the line’s observation lounge, will also be refurbished with a new color scheme and décor. In addition, the company will completely enclose the ships’ only indoor smoking area, located in Horizons, with glass and install a state-of-the-art air filtration system.

Oceania Cruises’ flagship restaurant, the Grand Dining Room as well as Toscana, the line’s Italian restaurant will be expanded with more tables for two. Lastly, the ships’ show lounges will be refurbished, Martinis will be outfitted with new furniture and the Canyon Ranch SpaClub® will receive new steam and changing rooms.

The dry docks are scheduled from April 24 to June 6, 2014 with Insignia and Nautica being refurbished in Marseilles, France and Regatta in Vancouver, BC.

The renovated Insignia will debut on May 8, 2014 in Barcelona for her 7-day Jewels of Europe cruise. This will be Insignia’s first cruise after her two-year charter. Nautica will debut on May 16, 2014 in Civitavecchia for her 10-day Cliffs & Coves cruise and Regatta on June 7, 2014 in Vancouver for her 10-day Majesty of Alaska cruise.

When we were on Regatta recently, I noted that she had already received the integrated headboards an marvelous reading lamps as on Marina and Riviera. Next may be the sofa upholstery.

I believe the comment that was made about Azamara was about having done no freshening since the Rennaisance days; I don't know if that's true or not. I do know that maintenance on Oceania ships is not exceeded by anyone.

Azamara promised a big dry dock overhaul and then changed its mind, to the dismay of many loyal customers

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Not surprised..they never go out full and the prices change like the wind blows..how can they afford a refurb??

Jancruz1

Not surprised..they never go out full and the prices change like the wind blows..how can they afford a refurb??

Jancruz1

And although the Azamara loyalists will deny it, their price hike has been a bust. They have had TWO promotions for book inside and get a verandah, which essentially rolls back the prices to pre-hike prices. The addition of low tier spirits and Azamazing evenings (some of which have received scathing reviews) is not worth the price hike IMO.

I leave on my first Azamara cruise next week, looking forward to the on board experience. I have met some great folks on the roll call and we have some wonderful private excursions booked. But I booked under the OLD price scheme. Once Oceania upgrades the R ships, it is going to be tougher for Azamara to keep pace -- no matter how chummy the officers and staff are. I prefer fabulous amenities to warm and fuzzy.

I prefer fabulous amenities to warm and fuzzy.

If Azamara doesn't intend to keep their R ships up to speed, Cunard appears to be panting to get them.

132954.jpgThere is even loose talk of reviving the White Star name with an R ship:

125328.jpg125404.jpg

Avid Cunard passengers posted these mock ups on Cruise Critic through sheer excitement.

If Azamara doesn't intend to keep their R ships up to speed, Cunard appears to be panting to get them. There is even loose talk of reviving the White Star name with an R ship:

125328.jpg125404.jpg

Avid Cunard passengers posted these mock ups on Cruise Critic through sheer excitement.

LOL

There has actually been some "chatter" on the A boards (totally wishful thinking IMO) about Azamara getting additional R ships from Princess or Hal or I forget who has the rest of them.

I think they are dreaming. If they cannot fill the two ships what would they do with a third?

In the cruise business, like any other, you have to invest money to keep up with the competition -- as O has done, as Celebrity has done, as RCCL and NCL have done. New ships, new amenities are what cruisers want. Higher prices based on a little bit of included alcohol and an evening shore excursion with 600 of your "closest friends" being herded off in buses doesn't seem to be a good business plan to keep afloat (oops pun) -- but that seems to be Azamara's plan thus far. I am sure the on board experience will be terrific -- but at some point, they are going to need to step up to the plate with some $$$ if they are going to attract new customers.

When we were on Regatta recently, I noted that she had already received the integrated headboards an marvelous reading lamps as on Marina and Riviera. Next may be the sofa upholstery.

I believe the comment that was made about Azamara was about having done no freshening since the Rennaisance days; I don't know if that's true or not. I do know that maintenance on Oceania ships is not exceeded by anyone.

The "R" class ships, built for Renaissance in the 1990s and while constructed in France, were designed by John McNeese in England, who developed what came to be known as the "Classic British Manor House" style. One can't really improve upon Perfection as many have already discovered.

I suspect that the dark woods, magnificent domed ceilings in the GDR and a beautiful library will be kept in the wonderful condition still maintained by Oceania.

Let us hope so - what Princess and Azamara have done in the past cannot be forgiven - but we do have the three "R" class ships with Oceania to enjoy for some years to come....

Personally, I hope they don't do anything to alter the decor on the R ships. It's nice to see a ship that's not all glass and steel and that reflects what ships looked like in another era. I believe the thread on Azamara was started by someone who didn't want to sail on a ship that wasn't contemporary in design although she loved the proposed itinerary.

The "R" class ships, built for Renaissance in the 1990s and while constructed in France, were designed by John McNeese in England, who developed what came to be known as the "Classic British Manor House" style. One can't really improve upon Perfection as many have already discovered.

I suspect that the dark woods, magnificent domed ceilings in the GDR and a beautiful library will be kept in the wonderful condition still maintained by Oceania.

Let us hope so - what Princess and Azamara have done in the past cannot be forgiven - but we do have the three "R" class ships with Oceania to enjoy for some years to come....

This is so perfectly true. We have sailed the "R" ships and twice last year on the Marina since 1999 and every time we set foot on the "R" we are absolutely delighted to be there. The wood and the furniture and the library are so much more elegant than some of the glitzier lines. We sailed on Azamara once when it was brand new and we were grossly disappointed and haven't sailed since. I've been told things are better but we will only sail if the itinerary is fabulous. I don't believe that Oceania will do anything that will take away from the "Classic British Manor Style" -- hopefully only enhance the atmosophere that so many of us crave. I will be looking forward the grill in the Terrace as it was a nice change for us when we sailed on Marina. Also the addition of Baristas will be wonderful - love their frozen coffee!! Arlene;)

Nice to hear all the good stuff, I really did not think Oceania would let the ships go to pot as some have. I was put off by the smaller ships but maybe we will give them a try. I read some ware that RCCL was in a bind because of the fire and cut back to save $. Nothing turns me off more than a run down ship, anyone can get a bad meal but worn carpet and furniture just do not get it. On my last HAL trip the ship was in such bad shape I would not go again if it was free.

If Cunard really are anxious to get hold of an R ship my guess would be they get P&O Cruises' Adonia. Carnival often switch their ships around the various fleets and that would make more sense. Much as I enjoy her, she doesn't really fit within the P&O fleet.

If Cunard really are anxious to get hold of an R ship my guess would be they get P&O Cruises' Adonia. Carnival often switch their ships around the various fleets and that would make more sense. Much as I enjoy her, she doesn't really fit within the P&O fleet.

I agree with you, Sharon, but I'm old enough to remember Carnival before they had all of the money in the World, and at that time they were not adverse to picking up a Cruise Ship or two, when the original owners were struggling to make a profit (as AZ seems to be).

mg-fleet.jpg

I fell in love with the R class ships when we cruised Ren in Polynesia. They don't seem to generate the kind of revenue the larger ships get and cruising IS A BUSINESS! i don't think Princess would keep the 2 they own if they got a good offer for them.

I was reading a thread on the Azamara board talking about the fact that the Interiors of their ships being the same as when they came out. I was wondering about the ones Oceania has. Are they the same or more like the Riviera?

neither have changed as fsar as i could tell on a quick peek

Archived