Dengue Fever

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:10 AM.
#1
USA
3,293 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Just thought I'd share something that happened today.
My DH and I are regular blood donors to the American Red Cross.
Today was the first time we received a 'Dengue Fever Post-Donation Information Sheet'.
It specifically mentions Puerto Rico.
#2
Los Banos, CA USA
4,056 Posts
Joined May 2001
Originally posted by WetToes
Just thought I'd share something that happened today.
My DH and I are regular blood donors to the American Red Cross.
Today was the first time we received a 'Dengue Fever Post-Donation Information Sheet'.
It specifically mentions Puerto Rico.
My son just gave blood last week. He didn't get a pamphlet. But we live in California so maybe we are too far.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Past Cruises


Carnival Jubilee June 1996
Voyager of the Seas June 2001
Sea Princess January 2002
Carnival Elation June 2002
Carnival Pride December 2003
Monarch of the Seas March 2004
Carnival Liberty December 2005
Regal Princess June 2006
Dawn Princess November 2007
Carnival Pride November 2008
Carnival Spirit 2010
Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas 2011
Carnival Breeze November 2013
Carnival Miracle March 2014
Norwegian Star November 30, 2014
Crown Princess November 2016
Grand Princess June 2016
Ruby Princess November 2016
#3
NS Canada
3,948 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
As a regular blood donor there is certain ports of call .. If I got ashore I am black listed for a year from donating and considering I donate every 56 days that would be a lot of people not getting blood.
I do my research a know which ports I can not go to.. IE Haiti, Honduras, La Romana and parts of Cozumel to name a few..
My suggestion is check with your local blood donor clinic for an up to date list of at risk places that are not safe to go ashore..Most of them are concerned about Dengue Fever and Malaria..
Thank you for donating the gift of life to so many that need the blood.
Cheers
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Conquest Cruise 4 Claws 14 April 2018 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...IgI/edit#gid=0
Carnival Vista Repo 2016
Carnival Breeze BC8 2015
Carnival Liberty CAN-AM Connection 2013
Carnival Breeze US Inaugural B2B 2012
Carnival Glory Family Reunion 2011
RCI Independence of the Seas 2010
Carnival Pride Family Reunion 2008
Carnival Spirit 2005
Carnival Spirit 2003
Carnival Paradise 2002
RCI Visions of the Seas 2001
#4
USA
3,293 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by pkrchkr
My suggestion is check with your local blood donor clinic for an up to date list of at risk places that are not safe to go ashore..Most of them are concerned about Dengue Fever and Malaria..
Thank you for donating the gift of life to so many that need the blood.
Cheers
They always give a list of places and ask if we have been to those.
I don't ever recall seeing Haiti, or Cozumel on the list.

Thanks! The least we can do.
#5
U.S.
5,476 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by pkrchkr
As a regular blood donor there is certain ports of call .. If I got ashore I am black listed for a year from donating and considering I donate every 56 days that would be a lot of people not getting blood.
I do my research a know which ports I can not go to.. IE Haiti, Honduras, La Romana and parts of Cozumel to name a few..
My suggestion is check with your local blood donor clinic for an up to date list of at risk places that are not safe to go ashore..Most of them are concerned about Dengue Fever and Malaria..
Thank you for donating the gift of life to so many that need the blood.
Cheers
I think Honduras is on this ARC list. Carnival calls in Roatan, Honduras.

There is also a new current travel advisory to St. Martin too for a mosquito-borne illness.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5658
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
39 cruises and counting.....

It was me. I let the dogs out.
#6
Memphis, Tn area
25,296 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
Cozumel may be an add since their run of dengue in 2012-2013.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]

COMPLETES THE FLEET

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale) ONLY Double Milestone under the age of 21 in the world.....woo hoo!!
Showing the world what a kid with Autism can do!!!
28 year old son... finally DIAMOND (college got in the way). About to "cruise more than all of us under the water" as a. Naval Officer.

Holiday Ship On A Stick with a MARBLE base...

#7
185 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
As a receiver of blood...... I would like to thank all of you who donate! It is a selfless thing to do and helps so many!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Escape Oct 2016
Carnival Magic March 2014
Carnival Dream October 2012
Carnival Sensation March 2012
Norwegian Pearl March 2010
Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas 2004

URL=http://www.cruisecritic.com][/url]
#8
Perth Australia
4,918 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
I have had Dengue twice, the second time nearly killed me!

I didnt even know I had it the first time but it showed up in the blood tests for the second.

I am O rh neg and gave Blood quite frequently but now in Australia i cannot give blood I can give plasma but it takes a lot longer and i just dont have time.

Dengue mosquito's bite during the daylight hours so anyone visiting Dengue risk areas should wear a personal repellent with a high % of Deet. but not good for small children.

There are 3 strains of dengue and one is a potential killer you can get the strains in any order so could get the worst one first.

I can no longer go to Dengue risk areas during wet season.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#9
11,236 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Are the Florida Keys on the Dengue Fever list? I had read a while ago now that there were documented cases from that area.
#11
North Carolina
924 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Wow, I didn't know that and I am a blood donor also! hmmm I better check up on it. Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
10-12-2013 Carnival Liberty-HMC, San Juan, St. Martin, Grand Turk
02-22-2014 Carnival Liberty-Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman
10-14 Carnival Valor-St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Barbados, St. Lucia, Cozumel
11-28-Carnival Paradise-Grand Cayman, Cozumel
1-31-2016 Carnival Conquest-Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica
11-2016 Carnival Sunshine-Freeport, Nassau
1/29/2017 Carnival Splendor Amber Cove, Puerto Rico, Grand Turk, St. Thomas
#12
The Big Easy
18,614 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by Karysa
Are the Florida Keys on the Dengue Fever list? I had read a while ago now that there were documented cases from that area.
I'm not sure, but I haven't heard of anyone getting it recently.
#14
NH USA
578 Posts
Joined May 2012
According to the CDC's latest "Mortality and Morbidity Weekly Report" (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwr...cid=mm6250md_w), so far in 2013, New York City and California have had more provisional cases of dengue fever (at 99 and 68 cases respectively) than Florida (61). In 2012, looks like Florida had a spike of 132 cases.
Meanwhile, Puerto Rico has had over 7,000 cases in 2013.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
===================================
Sailed! Celebrity Xpedition 10-13-2013 10 day Galapagos Cruisetour
Sailed! Oceania Regatta 5-25-2013 10-day Majesty Of Alaska Cruise
Sailed! Oceania Regatta 10-19-2012 14-day New England/Canada/Bermuda (Hurricane Sandy Mystery Cruise)
Safari! Tanzania February, 2012 (The Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, Lake Manyara)
Sailed! Maine Windjammer Stephen Taber 9-2008 4-day cruise of mid-coast Maine on a floating National Historic Landmark launched in 1871.
#15
11,236 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by Arusha
According to the CDC's latest "Mortality and Morbidity Weekly Report" (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwr...cid=mm6250md_w), so far in 2013, New York City and California have had more provisional cases of dengue fever (at 99 and 68 cases respectively) than Florida (61). In 2012, looks like Florida had a spike of 132 cases.
Meanwhile, Puerto Rico has had over 7,000 cases in 2013.
I had read that PR had 5000 reported cases in 2012. So on top of that amount there has been another 7000 reported cases this year. That is troubling indeed.
#16
Perth Australia
4,918 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Originally posted by Karysa
I had read that PR had 5000 reported cases in 2012. So on top of that amount there has been another 7000 reported cases this year. That is troubling indeed.
Yes it is! A Dengue mosquito does not carry Dengue unless it first bites a person or animal who already has Dengue and then passes it on to the next person they bite.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#17
11,236 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by fishtaco
Yes it is! A Dengue mosquito does not carry Dengue unless it first bites a person or animal who already has Dengue and then passes it on to the next person they bite.
I never did like Mosquitos and I like them even less now!
#18
more or less in TX
10,418 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Dengue Fever is seasonal (now is the season!). My husband got it while at Martinique for a 2 week long stay during January about 30 years ago. He was so ill he was afraid that he would not be allowed back in the USA when his plane landed in Miami.

It is nasty!