Is this the dumbest idea for an early flight ever?

We are getting off the Allure the Sunday after Thanksgiving. We already have a crappy flight booked on Southwest that takes us to Atlanta before going back to Houston at 11:20 a.m.

There is another flight at 9:20 a.m. Is that just an absolutely crazy thought, especially considering it is the Sunday after thanksgiving? :D

Thanks,

Debbie

We are getting off the Allure the Sunday after Thanksgiving. We already have a crappy flight booked on Southwest that takes us to Atlanta before going back to Houston at 11:20 a.m.

There is another flight at 9:20 a.m. Is that just an absolutely crazy thought, especially considering it is the Sunday after thanksgiving? :D

Thanks,

Debbie

I think so.

In other words, I would not do it. But, hey, if you book it, we want to hear a blow-by-blow description of your day.

:D

9:20 is not an optimal time being so early. Can you switch your air to Monday and stay over in FLL? Sunday after Thanksgiving is one of the worst travel days. :)

Edited by janetz

I think so.

In other words, I would not do it. But, hey, if you book it, we want to hear a blow-by-blow description of your day.

:D

Ha. Ha. :D I figured. I was hoping maybe by some miracle everyone would tell me it is just fine.

To answer the second question my kids have to be in school Monday morning. I know that day will be miserable. I'm hoping our 11:20 flight will work.

Debbie

9:20 is not an optimal time being so early. Can you switch your air to Monday and stay over in FLL? Sunday after Thanksgiving is one of the worst travel days. :)

I think that I remember reading that the Sunday after Thanksgiving is THE worst travel day of the year. #1. The Big Kahuna.

Ha. Ha. :D I figured. I was hoping maybe by some miracle everyone would tell me it is just fine.

To answer the second question my kids have to be in school Monday morning. I know that day will be miserable. I'm hoping our 11:20 flight will work.

Debbie

My tip..As soon as you get into the luggage terminal, grab a porter. He will get your luggage and get you though the line, outside pretty quick, and hail you a taxi. It works very well. Enjoy your cruise. The Allure is a great experience. :D

Edited by janetz

In my experience, the problem is not getting off the ship. It's not going through customs. It's not getting to the airport.

It's dealing with the "experience" that is the Southwest terminal at Fort Lauderdale Airport.

OY!

On a "good" day, the security line can stretch thousands of people deep.

Unless you know that you can get "TSA Pre-Chek", I hold out little optimism for you, debbs.

:)

Agreed. The quicker you get to the airport the better off you are. Ahead of buses full of fellow cruisers. You do have the option of walking off your luggage. That can start as early as 6:30am. If that is not an option ask to be in the first group called off. :)

Edited by janetz

After all the crap we read on cruise critic, I have actually really enjoyed your responses. To answer a few questions. Yes there is a much better flight out. However, we are using all points we have saved up for quite some time and that 12:35 p.m. flight is not an option as it would cost me approx 1K more to book that using our points and pay the extra. Just not worth it. Same holds for booking with another airline. I'd rather not pay a bunch out of pocket when I have well over 100 K southwest miles. On another note the new chase sapphire card is with any airline so that is good news. Southwest left us pretty limited. Everyday I check the website to see if they have released "Wanna get away" fares for that 12:35 p.m. flight.

Thanks to the poster who let me know that the Southwest Terminal at Fort Lauderdale is awful. Good information to have.

And yes I have already prepared myself that it will be awful to travel that day. Our school district now sends a letter from the courthouse on day 3 of the unexcused absence. After that, you have to have a doctors note for every single absence they have. Not fun since the trip is in November. That will make for a long year. So we really do need to fly home that day. I plan to drink to get through it. :D

We were on the Allure in April and were booked on the 9:20 flight on SWA. We easily made it to FLL in plenty of time for our flight and that was even with a delay with disembarking- we did not get off until about 7:30 due to computer malfunctions. My biggest recommendation is that you enroll in the Global entry or TSA Pre-Check program asap. We were able to bypass the VERY long security line at FLL which is why we were not running to our flight. Getting off the ship was a breeze and we carried all our luggage with us. You can do it!!

After all the crap we read on cruise critic, I have actually really enjoyed your responses. To answer a few questions. Yes there is a much better flight out. However, we are using all points we have saved up for quite some time and that 12:35 p.m. flight is not an option as it would cost me approx 1K more to book that using our points and pay the extra. Just not worth it. Same holds for booking with another airline. I'd rather not pay a bunch out of pocket when I have well over 100 K southwest miles. On another note the new chase sapphire card is with any airline so that is good news. Southwest left us pretty limited. Everyday I check the website to see if they have released "Wanna get away" fares for that 12:35 p.m. flight.

Thanks to the poster who let me know that the Southwest Terminal at Fort Lauderdale is awful. Good information to have.

And yes I have already prepared myself that it will be awful to travel that day. Our school district now sends a letter from the courthouse on day 3 of the unexcused absence. After that, you have to have a doctors note for every single absence they have. Not fun since the trip is in November. That will make for a long year. So we really do need to fly home that day. I plan to drink to get through it. :D

Were it any old day, most people would use miles for a connecting flight rather than paying for the better timed nonstop flight. But thanksgiving weekend with a family connecting through ATL? Boy, I'd shop my other options carefully. Perhaps those SWA miles could be saved for the next trip.

In my experience, the problem is not getting off the ship. It's not going through customs. It's not getting to the airport.

It's dealing with the "experience" that is the Southwest terminal at Fort Lauderdale Airport.

OY!

On a "good" day, the security line can stretch thousands of people deep.

Unless you know that you can get "TSA Pre-Chek", I hold out little optimism for you, debbs.

:)

I guarantee that to be an exaggeration

A 9:20 am flight out of FLL brings back fond memories of a cruise we did a few years ago where disembarkation didn't even start until 9:30 due to a customs issue... Doesn't happen often but that one time...

My hats off to those who take that chance... You are braver souls than I...

We had pre-screen on our boarding pass during the last cruise for our departure flight out of Nashville and hadn't even signed up. It was great!

In FLL, however, for our return flight, the pre-screen was NOT printed on our pass and we were unable to go through the line.

I am going to sign up for the pre-screen for our cruise this fall because we want to depart on a flight leaving FLL @ 9:00 a.m. It's the only non-stop flight back home and costs much less.

We always self-embark and carry our own luggage off. Been able to get off the ship before 7:00 a.m. each and every time.

Can't you speak to the kids teachers/front office prior to your vaca about the upcoming trip so you can fly home Monday?

We do this so our daughter is not out unexcused but has an approved time out of school. Just a thought cuz I would HATE to have to fly Thanksgiving weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

...And yes I have already prepared myself that it will be awful to travel that day... I plan to drink to get through it. :D
Now there is a plan to help with making good decisions when things fall apart with your connections in ATL.:eek:

What is the deal specifically with atlanta. It is going to cost us $1,000 or possibly more as a family to change flights. Ive searched every possible alternative. I can't see much that would be worth that. And no, I'm already taking them out of school for 2 days. On the 3rd day, I get the letter. I've done it 3 years in a row with Disney trips but now with one going to be in 8th grade and one in 5th that seems to always be sick afterwards it is not worth the stress. Even if one school excuses the other one won't based on the fact that I'm taking my kids out of school already for a pricey vacation and don't want to deal with traveling on Sunday. I just don't see that happening. Not only that but hotels to stay another night along with the fact flights are expensive as well the next day tells me that monday has some pretty high demand as well.

I know it is not optimal but people do live through this don't they? Ive got an Isla mujeres trip planned for my bday. I can't imagine spending that money on a direct flight rather than another vacation. If there is really a legitimate concern over possibly turning into an elderly person while waiting in Atlanta, id like to hear it. Or is it more if an annoyance? I was also joking about the drinking. I might not feel that way once the day comes.

Sent from my Iphone 7

Edited by debbs0723