Centrium, what ships have them besides Vision class?

I am eagerly looking forward to Royal Caribbean's 2016-17 schedules for Europe and Transatlantic.

DH and I love the Centrium. We have been on Rhapsody, Legend, and Radiance which have Centriums. Do any of the ships beyond Vision and Radiance class have the Centrium?

Bob? :D

I am eagerly looking forward to Royal Caribbean's 2016-17 schedules for Europe and Transatlantic.

DH and I love the Centrium. We have been on Rhapsody, Legend, and Radiance which have Centriums. Do any of the ships beyond Vision and Radiance class have the Centrium?

Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class all have the Royal Promenade. You will only find a Centrum on Vision and Radiance class ship.

Edited by cruisenfever

Technically all of the ships (can't speak for the Quantum) have Centrums. The Centrum concept was first introduced on Sovereign of the Seas and it blossomed from there. The Voyager and Freedom Class Centrums have less to do with the activities around them, but they're still open and provide that atrium feel. Haven't experienced the Oasis and Allure Centrums (but will in a few days!).

Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class all have the Royal Promenade. You will only find a Centrum on Vision and Radiance class ship.

And poor little Majesty, all alone in her class now.;)

Technically all of the ships (can't speak for the Quantum) have Centrums. The Centrum concept was first introduced on Sovereign of the Seas and it blossomed from there. The Voyager and Freedom Class Centrums have less to do with the activities around them, but they're still open and provide that atrium feel. Haven't experienced the Oasis and Allure Centrums (but will in a few days!).

May I ask where the Centrum is located on Voyager and Freedom class?:eek::confused:

Just returned from 3 weeks on Allure and though there is Central Park, The Boardwalk and The Royal Promenade, I didn't find anything that resembled a Centrum. When you're on board, if you find it, please let me know.

Edited by cruisenfever

May I ask where the Centrum is located on Voyager and Freedom class?:eek::confused:

Just returned from 3 weeks on Allure and though there is Central Park, The Boardwalk and The Royal Promenade, I didn't find anything that resembled a Centrum. When you're on board, if you find it, please let me know.

I'm wondering the same thing........

Please forgive me, as I'm a mere Platinum member. I ask for a pardon in the presence of Pinnacle Members.

Are the glass elevators that are open from the Skylight (and in some cases the Viking Crown Lounge) down to the very bottom of an atrium like structure not considered a Centrum?

Everything that was published on board those ships referred to that area as Centrum. When talking about gangways, they asked guests to use the Aft Centrum Elevators and Stairs. To me (and the marine architects that built those ships), those are considered Centrums.

Royal at one time referred to vertical areas near the elevator lobbies on Voyager/Freedom class as centrums. They do not resemble the centrums on Vision/Radiance class ships as gathering places, but they are similiar in that they are multi-deck vertical cylinder shaped spaces with elevators.

See the aft (or midship) area of this deck plan:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=04&shipCode=VY&shipProfile=1605&sailDate=1150305&hasNavigation=false

Edited by clarea

Please forgive me, as I'm a mere Platinum member. I ask for a pardon in the presence of Pinnacle Members.

Are the glass elevators that are open from the Skylight (and in some cases the Viking Crown Lounge) down to the very bottom of an atrium like structure not considered a Centrum?

Everything that was published on board those ships referred to that area as Centrum. When talking about gangways, they asked guests to use the Aft Centrum Elevators and Stairs. To me (and the marine architects that built those ships), those are considered Centrums.

If you are being sarcastic, you need not be. :( I was just asking a simple question that I needed clarification on.

The description of "Centrum" as Bob so graciously has described is my understanding as well. However, the Centrum "area" on Vision and Radiance class ships is not the same on any other ship, no matter how you describe it. It is an area in the "center of the ship" on Vision and Radiance class ships that can be viewed from Deck 8 on Visionclass and Deck 12 on Radiance class.

Edited by cruisenfever

If you are being sarcastic, you need not be. :( I was just asking a simple question that I needed clarification on.

The description of "Centrum" as Bob so graciously has described is my understanding as well. However, the Centrum "area" on Vision and Radiance class ships is not the same on any other ship, no matter how you describe it. It is an area in the "center of the ship" on Vision and Radiance class ships that can be viewed from Deck 8 on Visionclass and Deck 12 on Radiance class.

But you were given a simple answer. The aft elevator shaft is labeled as a Centrum and it feels like a centrum. It begins with the art gallery, next is Boleros, Champagne Bar and Guest Services, Business Services, Library, RC Online, Concierge Club, Pool Deck and sport Deck. I'm not sure that the centrum has to be in the "center" to qualify. :o

Since the OP specifically indicated they love the Centrum on Vision & Radiance class ships the negative response, although not 100% accurate, is probably the correct response to the question. While there are areas on other classes of ships that are defined as "Centrum" they're nothing like what you'll find on Sovereign, Vision or Radiance class ships. If the OP is expecting to see & enjoy what they've had on previous cruises, they'll be dissappointed.

But you were given a simple answer. The aft elevator shaft is labeled as a Centrum and it feels like a centrum. It begins with the art gallery, next is Boleros, Champagne Bar and Guest Services, Business Services, Library, RC Online, Concierge Club, Pool Deck and sport Deck. I'm not sure that the centrum has to be in the "center" to qualify. :o

I did learn something today. In all of our cruises on a ships other than a Vision/Radiance class ship, I have never considered those elevators as being in a Centrum area. Just not the same as on Vision/Radiance class.

Edited by cruisenfever

I did learn something today. In all of our cruises on a ships other than a Vision/Radiance class ship, I have never considered those elevators as being in a Centrum area. Just not the same as on Vision/Radiance class.

I hope I did not come off as snarky, BTW, the Radiance deck plans don't even label that area as Centrum. :confused:

I hope I did not come off as snarky, BTW, the Radiance deck plans don't even label that area as Centrum. :confused:

Not at all. At least you didn't bring our C&A level into your answer!!:D I think that's what hit the sensitive nerve for me.:(

Edited by cruisenfever

Given the context of the question, this answer is exactly how I would have responded.

Didn't RCI create the word Centrum.....meaning Central Atrium? :confused:

Centrum

At the heart of the ship, a reinvented Centrum (our iconic, multi-level atrium) comes alive as a vertical theater, with a series of dazzling aerial acrobat shows set against artful lighting and LED screens.

Watch Video

Available: Splendour of the Seas, Rhapsody of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas, Legend of the Seas, Vision of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas

Centrum

At the heart of the ship, a reinvented Centrum (our iconic, multi-level atrium) comes alive as a vertical theater, with a series of dazzling aerial acrobat shows set against artful lighting and LED screens.

Watch Video

Available: Splendour of the Seas, Rhapsody of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas, Legend of the Seas, Vision of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas

Funny. They never did put the aerial show on Enchantment, and they left out some other ships where they do have the aerial show.

Edited by clarea

Funny. They never did put the aerial show on Enchantment, and they left out some other ships where they do have the aerial show.

Looks like the new site is a lot like the old site:D but it did give an idea of the ships with a Centrum. Don't think they will be performing the shows in an "elevator shaft" forward or aft or live music.

Edited by setsail

Centrum

Watch Video

I hope I get to see the aerial show in a Centrum some day. When I walked into the Centrum on Rhapsody, I was awed by the impressive glass elevators.

Given the context of the question, this answer is exactly how I would have responded.

Didn't RCI create the word Centrum.....meaning Central Atrium? :confused:

Yes, Royal Caribbean coined the term when Sovereign of Seas debuted in 1988. Until that time cruise ships, and passenger ships in general, just didn't have large open spaces like that. So Sovereign was a ground breaker in many ways. Other cruise lines had to adopt the Centrum design concept in order to be competitive. By 1994, a mere six years later, the Centrum was considered so integral to cruise ship design that it was noted, and not fondly, when new ships didn't have it.

Yes, Royal Caribbean coined the term when Sovereign of Seas debuted in 1988. Until that time cruise ships, and passenger ships in general, just didn't have large open spaces like that. So Sovereign was a ground breaker in many ways. Other cruise lines had to adopt the Centrum design concept in order to be competitive. By 1994, a mere six years later, the Centrum was considered so integral to cruise ship design that it was noted, and not fondly, when new ships didn't have it.

Interestingly enough, Wikipedia does not list RCL's Centrum. However there are references that preceed Soverign by several years

The Centrum, or officially Centrum in Worcester as it was then known, opened in September 1982

Architectural terms are often borrowed