Copenhagen Hotels

rkr

The last time we stayed in Copenhagen, we were in the Clarion Mayfair Hotel that offered breakfast and dinner included in the rate. The hotel appears to now be owned by FIRST, and known as First Hotel Mayfair, not free breakfast and no dinner offerings. The area was not the best, but was controlled with regard to the across-the-street brothel.

Can anyone suggest a hotel in the downtown area of Copenhagen?

Thank you,

Kathy

Edited by rkr

We stayed at the Scandic Palace. It was perfect. Ample and free breakfast, really large, even by US standards, rooms, great location. It is on the end of the walking zone, and across the street from Tivoli. It's also a very short walk from the train station, so you can take the train easily from the airport.

Glad to hear you liked the Scandic Palace. I think this is the hotel we have through HAL. All of our paperwork says Palace and this seems to be the only Palace in Copenhagen. Please, somebody, correct me if I am wrong.

We stayed at the Scandic Palace. It was perfect. Ample and free breakfast, really large, even by US standards, rooms, great location. It is on the end of the walking zone, and across the street from Tivoli. It's also a very short walk from the train station, so you can take the train easily from the airport.

Our cruise is in August and we are considering taking the train from the airport to the Central Station because we are also staying at the Scandic Palace. What tickets did you purchase (how many zones), how much did it cost and was the walk too far to the hotel while carting big luggage? If the price is somewhat comparable to a taxi, we might not worry about the train.

Raddison Blu Royal, loved it; very centrally located, great service, most importantly, AC, which was very important to us. Highly recommended! We have also stayed at the Marriott, lovely, but way overpriced.

Edited by sippican

I think the ticket was very cheap, maybe $8-12/person? There were 8 of us, 2 senior citizens, 2 kids, so the prices varied, and honestly, those are not the sort of numbers that stick in my head. I wasn't sure how many zones we needed, so I just stood in the short line for the ticket office and told them where we needed to go.

The walk was 2 blocks at most. If you take the train, come out and as you are looking at Tivoli, go left around the park. It is shorter than going right, which we did, while dragging our luggage. Even that was not a hard walk, though there was a longish section of cobble stone along our route, which made for bumpy luggage rolling.

If you take the left side, you'll walk past the front entrance of the park and end up directly at the City Hall square.

We just returned from Copenhagen.

We stayed for 3 nights before the cruise at the Savoy Hotel and for one night after our cruise at the AC Bella (owned by Marriott).

The Savoy was located a few blocks from Central Station. Free breakfast which was wonderful. Great location centrally located in the downtown area close to dining, shopping and sites to visit.

We took the train there from the airport to the Central station and walked from Central station. There were a lot of taxis available for anyone who would prefer a taxi. It was maybe a 5 block walk which was easy in nice weather. If it had been raining, then a taxi would have been a cheap alternative. Rooms were very small, but clean and comfortable. Beds were wonderful for sleeping.

Remember that there is the train and the tram. The tram is what people might call the subway only its not necessarily below ground. The train was cheap and we were able to pay by credit card at the airport.

The AC Bella hotel was nice, but not conveniently located for touring. There is nothing close by except for the tram. The hotel has a restaurant but it was over-priced and the breakfast was an extra charge. It is about a 2 block walk to the tram which you can take to the central area of town. We chose this hotel after the cruise since it offered a free shuttle to the airport and we had early flights out the next day. Rooms were clean and the front desk staff was great, but I would not recommend this hotel if you want to explore the city due to its inconvenient location.

We stayed at 71 Nyhavn. We were satisfied with the hotel and the area, but I think there are probably better hotels downtown unless you want to attend some danish plays (the playhouse is right next door). It's just too long a walk to the metro from 71 Nyhavn, especially with luggage. It is, however, very close to the hop on/hop off.