Norovirus on QM2

milamber

Just heard from some friends still aboard QM2 that there is currently quite a nasty outbreak of norovirus aboard, apparently brought on by a passenger/passengers boarding in Dubai.

The ship has had to miss both Salalah and Aqaba due to public health concerns. No news on any other upcoming ports yet apparently.

Our friends are spending plenty of time in their cabin to minimise contact with others which isn't the way you want to end a world cruise. Must be very hard for the already hard working crew with all the extra cleaning and sanitising an outbreak like this will require.

Glad we got off when we did!

"...A Cunard spokesman said; “Despite extensive negotiations with relevant port authorities Queen Mary 2 has been refused entry into Aqaba tomorrow following a minor outbreak of gastro illness on board.

“Guests who have booked shore excursions will receive automatic refunds and the ship will continue en route through the Suez Canal.

"The call at Limassol will be brought forward by 24 hours and will now be on Thursday April 28..." - Quoted from http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/14450633.Norovirus_outbreaks_hits_cruise_ship/

According to that report, "There are 2403 guests on board with seven guests confirmed as symptomatic." Seems odd to me that ports would be cancelled with only 7 passengers symptomatic:confused:

Anyway, wishing a speedy recovery to those stricken.

Salacia

Not sure. All we had from our friends is the above, but it seemed like a whole lot more than 7 people have been ill. Not sure why Cunard, and other lines, try to play the figures down when this happens. It's not going to be Cunard's fault.

There is little more the cruise lines can do to prevent this happening. It's almost always going to be the fault of a passenger not declaring an illness or failing to adhere to basic hygiene rules.

We've been on plenty of ships across a number of different cruise lines and have never seen anything, but the highest standards of cleanliness aboard the ships. We have, however, seen plenty of passengers failing to sanitise their hands, picking up food and putting it back, sneezing without covering up and so on.

According to various reports, there are several demonstrations currently taking place in Egypt after days of unrest. Likely this is not the best time for a tourist visit.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/police-deployed-egypts-capital-ahead-protests-38645238

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/25/cairo-protests-egypt-red-sea-islands-saudi-arabia

Edited by Salacia

There is little more the cruise lines can do to prevent this happening. It's almost always going to be the fault of a passenger not declaring an illness or failing to adhere to basic hygiene rules.

We've been on plenty of ships across a number of different cruise lines and have never seen anything, but the highest standards of cleanliness aboard the ships. We have, however, seen plenty of passengers failing to sanitise their hands, picking up food and putting it back, sneezing without covering up and so on.

Unfortunately you are right. I have regularly observed that passengers do not comply with basic rules of hygiene, although spreading of bacteria in general is impossible to control and sanitising hands before eating and after etc. does not kill the noro virus. However, Cunard tries to reduce the risks and passengers should try as well.

While on QM2 in 2010 or 2011, there was a noro virus outbreak and I remember that within 2 days it was gone, which was quite an accomplishment.

Still, I would have liked to be on this cruise.

We're on QM2 and there were quite a few more than 7, love understatement, but less and less cases are now being reported and the "early" sufferers have already been released. We're going through Suez a day early-on the way now with the Queen Elizabeth behind us-the spare day is now being spent in Haifa so that will mean an overnight there. Cyprus would probably have been preferred by the guests but The Office decided we'd be there for the end of Passover and if they speak....

... We've been on plenty of ships across a number of different cruise lines and have never seen anything, but the highest standards of cleanliness aboard the ships. We have, however, seen plenty of passengers failing to sanitise their hands, picking up food and putting it back, sneezing without covering up and so on.
A few years back I was on a QM2 TA when there was a (thankfully contained, with only a very few affected) Noro outbreak.

Passengers were being served tea/coffee/juices & all foods in the Kings Court (no self-serve food or drink). No condiment containers on tables. Notices in the Daily Programme and statements made during announcements reminding people to take precautions about hygiene etc. Hand gel dispensers everywhere. Notices in the loos/restrooms.

Yet, despite all this, I still noted guys leaving the "gents" without as much as looking at soap, water and sink... :mad:

Edited by pepperrn

"...The Queen Mary 2 cruise liner has been refused entry to Jordan and Oman due to an outbreak of the norovirus vomiting bug.

Cunard described it as a "minor" outbreak and said there were two confirmed cases onboard.

Some passengers have spoken of "unrest" onboard after missing the opportunity to see Petra in Jordan..." quoted from

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-36137829

I'm so sorry for the guests aboard. I'm sure that for many of them this trip was a "once in a lifetime" opportunity and I'm sure Petra would have been one of the highlights, I know it would be for me. All that said, if the Jordanian authorities deny entry to the port, how can they blame Cunard? If the numbers really are as low as 7, it seems to me that the authorities could have requested that those identified as ill remain quarantined for the duration of the stop, and enforced hand sanitizing before disembarkation.

As for Cunard (or Carnival Corp.), maybe they should re-think future stops there.

I'm so sorry for the guests aboard. I'm sure that for many of them this trip was a "once in a lifetime" opportunity and I'm sure Petra would have been one of the highlights, I know it would be for me. All that said, if the Jordanian authorities deny entry to the port, how can they blame Cunard? If the numbers really are as low as 7, it seems to me that the authorities could have requested that those identified as ill remain quarantined for the duration of the stop, and enforced hand sanitizing before disembarkation.

As for Cunard (or Carnival Corp.), maybe they should re-think future stops there.

If I were on board, like you, I'd also be very disappointed about not seeing Petra. It would be especially vexing for those any were trying for the second time to see Petra: on the QM2 World Cruise last year, the port stop at Aqaba for Petra was also cancelled. (I believe that decision was made by Cunard. News report here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6162 )

Since Cunard states that only two passengers are currently symptomatic, it does cause one to wonder why the Jordanian authorities are apparently taking such a draconian position in not allowing the ship to dock in Jordanian waters. :confused:

Salacia

I wonder if the discrepancy is that there might have been a larger outbreak but as of the time of the Aqaba refusal there were still seven active cases onboard. This would square the reports from onboard about an outbreak that appears to be dwindling down with Cunard's position that they should not have been refused entry at this stage of the game.

Just conjecture from my end of the sofa...

Since Cunard states that only two passengers are currently symptomatic, it does cause one to wonder why the Jordanian authorities are apparently taking such a draconian position in not allowing the ship to dock in Jordanian waters. :confused:

Salacia

The decision the Jordan authorities took is most probably in application of their law. In order to prevent outspread of infectious diseases, such laws are often designed on a large-scale basis and do not allow exceptions. Allowing them would mean acting against the law.

I note that the Queen Mary 2 is currently in the Suez Canal, with the Queen Elizabeth a little astern of her.

I feel VERY sorry for all those who missed seeing Petra, it was one of the highlights on the complete QE World Cruise that a friend of mine enjoyed last year.

However, I don't feel that any blame can be laid at Cunard's door; the ship was denied access to the country, something outside of their control.

(I trust the passengers who complained loudest and longest about missing the port, weren't the same people who regularly neglect to wash their hands after using the loo... )

I sincerely hope that this doesn't totally spoil passengers enjoyment of the World Cruise.

Edited by pepperrn

The decision the Jordan authorities took is most probably in application of their law. In order to prevent outspread of infectious diseases, such laws are often designed on a large-scale basis and do not allow exceptions. Allowing them would mean acting against the law.

The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan certainly has the right to make and enforce their laws. I'm just surprised that a cruise ship was banned from entering Jordan's territorial waters because two (or seven, as previously reported) are reported to have noro.

"...Answering a question about cruise ships and tourist numbers, Madi [Aqaba Special Economic Zone Authority Commissioner for Economic Development and Investment Affairs] said in a phone interview that over the past two months, around 20 ships carrying 30,000 tourists from several nationalities docked at the Aqaba Port..." copied from http://www.albawaba.com/news/jordan-denies-british-cruise-ship-over-norovirus-fears-833708

Of those ships carrying 30,000 tourists, are we to believe that there were no cases of gastro-intestinal illness reported on board and/or that it wasn't reported to Jordan's authorities?

Anyway, if I wanted to see Petra, I couldn't rely on any cruise ship getting the necessary permission to dock in Jordan after refusing permission to QM2 - but that's just me. -S.

Edited by Salacia

The Oceania Nautica had Norovirus on board and docked there, I believe that it was within the last week. Not sure of number sick, think it was around 43, on a ship with 684 passenger capacity.

It was reported on cruise critic that the ship was cleaned in that port as most people were off on excursions.

Why would they let Oceania Nautica to dock and not Queen Mary 2??

The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan certainly has the right to make and enforce their laws. I'm just surprised that a cruise ship was banned from entering Jordan's territorial waters because two (or seven, as previously reported) are reported to have noro.

"...Answering a question about cruise ships and tourist numbers, Madi [Aqaba Special Economic Zone Authority Commissioner for Economic Development and Investment Affairs] said in a phone interview that over the past two months, around 20 ships carrying 30,000 tourists from several nationalities docked at the Aqaba Port..." copied from http://www.albawaba.com/news/jordan-denies-british-cruise-ship-over-norovirus-fears-833708

Of those ships carrying 30,000 tourists, are we to believe that there were no cases of gastro-intestinal illness reported on board and/or that it wasn't reported to Jordan's authorities?

I can understand that you are disappointed - so am I, since I had to cancel some segments of this world cruise.

As I said before, such laws are designed to prevent epidemics. That is why they are so strict and do not allow exceptions.

Whether or not there have been more noro virus cases on other ships we do not know, but if this was the case those ship companies acted against the law, which might have consequences.

We are onboard and haven't heard a single complaint about the itinerary changes. The Captain has done a terrific job keeping passengers informed and the Entertainment Director put in place a full program. It isn't a major discussion point at the bars during cocktail hour.

I live in Cyprus so I was there to welcome QM2 and see some cruise friends.

I spent the day showing my dear friend Dennie Farmer ( Godmother of the QE ship) around and we had a good day. Limassol not the most exciting port, but Cyprus has a lot to offer and some beautiful views and scenery, archeological sites and wall to wall sunshine. Hope guest on QM2 had a good day.

Edited by maggiemou

Limassol port seemed to appreciate QM2's visit...

http://cyprus-mail.com/2016/04/28/queen-mary-2-docks-in-limassol/

Hopefully, passengers enjoyed the welcoming port in Cyprus.

Cheers, -S.

We enjoyed Limassol.

However, the Tourist Information Office near where the shuttle bus dropped everyone off was really helpful to us during the morning.

However, it was closed in the afternoon for the four day holiday so it would have been closed all day on the Friday had QM2 continued with her original plan.

There were some complaints about missing Petra but they were countered by the people who had booked initially for Egypt-which had been cancelled 12 months ago-so it was really quite well accepted because it was realised these things happen.

Only one case of "the problem" yesterday so hopefully the end is in sight.

• 2 weeks later...

I read that Fred Olsen Braemar has an outbreak of NV, yet was permitted to dock in Portland and Baltimore and passengers allowed to go ashore.

What's good enough for USA is not for Jordon. I've been to Jordan and this surprises me.

David.