Hotel Checkout time vs embarkation time.... What do you do?

uilleann

I was looking into the details of our itinerary for our trip Avalon Waterways Amsterdam to Budapest trip in Mid-September. I noticed that our B&B checkout time in Amsterdam is Noon but embarkation is 4pm. We will probably see if the B&B will hold our luggage and we will just wander around with maybe a long lunch, a museum, and cafe. Then off to the boat. Just curious if others had ideas or recommendations.

We like to get our luggage to the boat and then head out and enjoy Amsterdam (or wherever we are). We will check out of our hotel after breakfast generally and drop bags and then return to the city and stay there til late afternoon.

I just took my first River cruise last month and when I left my hotel it

was about noon--12:30. I sailed out of Amsterdam:). When I got to

the ship there were already some other folks on board. The reception

desk folks took my luggage and I chose to stay on board and relax.

Cabins were ready about 3:00. I chatted with a few different people and

walked around the ship.....they had food in the main lounge area too.

Now I have to wait till May 2017 to sail on AMA again......it is going to

be a long year;)......but I have an ocean cruise booked for October so

that will help;)

Avalon collects all passengers at a hotel prior to boarding. This info is in your Sailing Booklet. Take your luggage over to the hotel, check in, drop your bags and leave. The ship itself is pretty locked up as the crew have completed their chores and get a couple hours ashore.

They really don't want new passengers at the boat as there is no one there to greet them. Found that out last Sept the hard way.

Your bags will be delivered to your cabin before you embark. You can either go to the ship with the other passengers or make your way there on your own. But do drop your bag off to be transferred to the ship and continue exploring Amsterdam!

PS we sailed Avalon Illumination A to B last Sept it was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JVilleGal

Different lines have different rules on embarkation. AMA welcomes guests to wait in the Lounge as early as you want, which explains LoisR's post above. Avalon prefers to have the ship empty while they do the cleaning.

OP didn't mention if she booked B & B through AMA or on her own....would that make a difference? I know on some cruises (Vantage) if you book your own pre-trip you're basically on your own to get yourself and your luggage to the ship unless you purchase transfers separately.

Does anyone know how Scenic does embarkation and whether you can board early? We are boarding in Basel, and from what I'm told the dock is not right in town like it is in Amsterdam. Scenic has a designated hotel from which they provide bus transfer to the ship, but it is in Zurich, and we are meeting friends before the cruise in Basel then taking a taxi to the boat.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Scenic prefers that you don't arrive before the designated embarkation time. They usually book a hotel and transfer you from there, but on our last cruise with them, it was easier to book a taxi from our hotel right to the boat. We did a pre-cruise tour on our own, so were in town for 2 nights before our cruise started.

We were embarking in Budapest - so had the front desk of our hotel call the boat and ask where they were docked. The hotel held our luggage after check out until we left to go to the boat.

Fran

At the end of our Seine cruise we were waiting for our transfer in the lounge and people were arriving on board at about 10 - 10.30. On our cruise this year the only direct flight arrives in Bordeaux at about 9.30 and Scenic have assured me that there is no problem we will be transferred directly to Diamond and can wait in the lounge until our cabin is ready. They obviously realise that not all ways to travel knit together seamlessly and make arrangements to ensure their customers are catered for. I actually emailed Scenic about this and got a direct reply. Obviously I understand about the cabins not being available their staff are superb but not superhuman. Have a great cruise CA🇬🇧

The OP is traveling on Avalon and not AMA. they should read my post # 4 as to how Avalon handled embarkation. Do not show up early as the boat is closed and the crew has a couple hours off the boat.

All embarking passengers meet at a local hotel clearly disclosed in their Itinerary Booklet mail 30 days prior to sailing date.

Edited by JVilleGal

We sailed Avalon and we made our own way to the boat as required- we didn't book transfers so Avalon had no desire to pick us up anywhere.

We did late check-out (Nuremberg hotel) and took a taxi to the boat, arriving about a half hour before "official" embarkation time. They were happy to check us in, and the buses started arriving about 20 minutes later (the day trips, the pre-trip package from Prague etc - our itinerary had about 7 different ways it could be booked and there were about 40 people who had been on the ship since Vienna or earlier)

I can only address the method Avalon used on the Amsterdam to Budapest route last Sept. They wanted ALL passengers (who paid for transport or not) to gather at a local hotel where they checked their bags and bused passengers to the boat.

This is the trip the OP is taking with Avalon & the one I took last Sept. We did of course have passengers who arrived After the bussed guests on their own. We did not pay for transport and were directed to the hotel when attempting to board the ship early in our own.

Please read your Trip Booklet as to how embarkation is being handled for your tour.

Once again in Amsterdam last Sept the boat had no crew on board to handle early arriving guests.

We sailed Avalon and we made our own way to the boat as required- we didn't book transfers so Avalon had no desire to pick us up anywhere.

We did late check-out (Nuremberg hotel) and took a taxi to the boat, arriving about a half hour before "official" embarkation time. They were happy to check us in, and the buses started arriving about 20 minutes later (the day trips, the pre-trip package from Prague etc - our itinerary had about 7 different ways it could be booked and there were about 40 people who had been on the ship since Vienna or earlier)

We had similar experiences on our Avalon cruises. When we arrived on an early flight, we made our way to the boat and dropped our bags, then went into town to enjoy the area.

There was always someone there to take the bags, though they did not welcome guests to board early (as does AMA, Scenic and Uniworld).

We did the pre trip once with Avalon and took their bus to the boat. It was chaotic.

Does anyone know how Scenic does embarkation and whether you can board early? We are boarding in Basel, and from what I'm told the dock is not right in town like it is in Amsterdam. Scenic has a designated hotel from which they provide bus transfer to the ship, but it is in Zurich, and we are meeting friends before the cruise in Basel then taking a taxi to the boat.

If you booked thru a TA they should have advised Scenic that you will meet the ship in Basel. Scenic would have then advised your TA where and what time to head to the ship. Scenic boarding is usually around the 3 pm mark. This gives the staff ample time to prepare ship, and have some downtime before next group arrives.

Speak to your TA (if you booked thru one) it's their job to confirm your arrival details with Scenic.

If not, contact Scenic directly.