New MDR Dinner menu

mutziputzi

Just back off Ventura where they are trialing a new dinner menu. MPW was at the restaurants to meet and greet, have to say after 15 years of the same menu the new one was fantastic. A very nice salad course which is great for me as don't very often have starter or soup, although have to say the starter of scotch egg was amazing. The portions are much bigger as well, which I'm sure will please some.

Just back off Ventura where they are trialing a new dinner menu. MPW was at the restaurants to meet and greet, have to say after 15 years of the same menu the new one was fantastic. A very nice salad course which is great for me as don't very often have starter or soup, although have to say the starter of scotch egg was amazing. The portions are much bigger as well, which I'm sure will please some.

Is this the one new formal night menu they have recently spoken about?

Just back from Azura, there were some changes to the menu but most of the options were the same as on the previous menus. It was nice to have some new options while all of my favourites were still there. The quality has improved and the always available have been reinstated. The food was also hotter on this cruise than we have had before.

My only disappointment is that they have kept the MPW gala menu which I detest and it still seems to cause a problem on that night to ask for salmon or chicken on that night with the waiter having to call the head waiter to ask why I do not want one of the MPW options because the always available items are not available that night, I did eventually get a very nicely cooked piece of plain salmon but it seemed to be a real problem, the first suggestion that the head waiter came up with was that I should have the children's menu but when I said if that was the case I would simply have 2 starters rather than a starter and main he decided that I could have salmon.

On the Gala Night I always look forward to the Beef Wellington - I think the MPW menu includes Lobster doesn't it but as they always cover it in cheese sauce which I can't eat I stick to the beef. Don't like the Arctic Roll thing, can't remember what they call it, think they usually do an apple tart tartin which I really like. Will be interested to see what the menu is on Aurora when we go on her in December.

On the Gala Night I always look forward to the Beef Wellington - I think the MPW menu includes Lobster doesn't it but as they always cover it in cheese sauce which I can't eat I stick to the beef. Don't like the Arctic Roll thing, can't remember what they call it, think they usually do an apple tart tartin which I really like. Will be interested to see what the menu is on Aurora when we go on her in December.

If only the Arctic roll really was an Arctic Roll instead of the sweet sickly thing that is served up. Trouble is I never remember!

Just off the Britannia and the food in the MDR was very enjoyable. Soups and fish offerings were delicious and we didn't have one bad meal. So much so we didn't feel the need to explore some of the other eateries although we did try Sindhu which was excellent. We found the portion sizes good for us. We don't want to come back off a cruise and struggle to get loads of weight off with Xmas around the corner.

Glad I'm not the only one who detests the MPW menu.

Indeed, last xmas they had a MPW xmas dinner which, IMO, was appalling. Pretentious rubbish. One roast potato that was obviously just boiled then dipped briefly in hot oil. no nice crispy outside and soft centre. The stuffing was wrapped in a mini wellington pastry :confused:

Last year I had two country pub xmas meals and they were excellent. Succulent turkey, pigs in blankets, carrots, sprouts, roast parsnips, stuffing and excellent roast potatoes etc. There were serving dishes with more if you wanted it as well. All for less than £20 including starters and dessert.

ps - I had an email survey from P&O and one of the options was having xmas dinner at 3pm, a brilliant idea IMO. Everyone I know has their xmas dinner in the afternoon :)

MPW gala menu included halibut (fantastic) chicken also great and calves liver. Other nights 3 soups a salad option nicotine, Greek, Caesar, and many more. Main courses tandoori lamb,red mullet, pork belly, (amazing) chicken tikka nice to have curry at night. I had an aubergine and pasta vegetarian option one evening also very good.

As I don't eat deserts myself can't comment on taste but the choice was amazing and everyone enjoyed them although they were on the large side. My husband just wanted fruit salad one evening but that came in a soup bowl not the usual little dish.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone else run into the endlress supply of green beans? In the summer it was the defacto vegatable for most dishes.

I like them, but not that much.

It has been like that for ages. Maybe somebody in Carnival owns a green bean farm ;)

ps - i don't like green beans, I like peas :D

Anyone else run into the endlress supply of green beans? In the summer it was the defacto vegatable for most dishes.

I like them, but not that much.

The first time we came across the "every meal has green beans" phenomenon was on the Britannia maiden, we have done 5 more P&O cruises since and it has been the same on every one, we live in hope that they are going to become scarce soon (hopefully within the next 3 weeks before we go on our next cruise).

I have stopped cooking them at home now because we are both green beaned out.