Guernsey Buses and crowding...

Folks,

In researching my plans to take my crew around Guernsey, our plan had been to use the buses to circle the island. I noticed in my searches here that not much has been said about how crowded these buses get, with one very aptly-named and like well-informed poster (GuernseyCruiser). I'm assuming from their name that they care very much about the Island(s) and are knowledgeable. This has me a little concerned. It sounds from them like every time we step off the bus, we'll be playing "Russian Roulette" as to when we'll be able to get back on and get elsewhere, as many buses are crowded/full.

So I'll ask more widely - have folks on recent St Peter Port cruises (esp on larger ships like Princess Royal-class) tried the buses, and did you find them to be problematic? Are there "tricks", e.g. NOT taking the obvious circumnavigating buses and instead taking lesser-known ones to specific locations?

From GuernseyCruiser, it sounds like the only safe way to use the municipal buses on a port day is to get on one that circles the island (e.g. 91/92) and stay on it for the entire circle so as to avoid getting blocked out of a return. I know our thought had been to get off twice; once at the occupation museum, and once at Fort Hommet (most likely).

Thanks!

We were in St Peter Port on the Sapphire Princess on Sunday 6 May. We decided to rent a car which was, in retrospect, a great idea.

On a couple of occasions the round the island bus passed us and it was packed, people were standing the full length of the bus. I would say there would be no chance of getting back on a bus if you got off. The lines for buses in St Peter Port were very long. From my observations, the round the island bus is a great economical way to see the island, but in reality it is overwhelmed.

We were in St Peter Port on the Sapphire Princess on Sunday 6 May. We decided to rent a car which was, in retrospect, a great idea.

On a couple of occasions the round the island bus passed us and it was packed, people were standing the full length of the bus. I would say there would be no chance of getting back on a bus if you got off. The lines for buses in St Peter Port were very long. From my observations, the round the island bus is a great economical way to see the island, but in reality it is overwhelmed.

If you can get on the first tender and then on the first available bus, you will not have a problem getting a seat or with people standing. We were also on this cruise and got the first tender and bus, and there were always a couple of empty seats all the way round. Now, later on in the day, yes it was crowded with long queues.

If you can get on the first tender and then on the first available bus, you will not have a problem getting a seat or with people standing. We were also on this cruise and got the first tender and bus, and there were always a couple of empty seats all the way round. Now, later on in the day, yes it was crowded with long queues.

Yes, the first bus we saw was at about 10.30am in the Portelet area - it was very crowded. The very early bus would probably be fine but I wouldn’t like to risk getting off and then trying to get on the next bus.

Many, many thanks, folks. After reading this, I ended up putting in a reservation with a car hire firm for a Ford S-Max for the day (we'll see if they actually have any). We're 4 adults and 2 kids, so that seems like a fun way to get around the island and hit all of the places we originally considered and maybe more. Seems a reasonable day-car for 4+2 and no luggage other than a backpack or two.

(And a chance to try out a car not sold in the US!)

Yes, the first bus we saw was at about 10.30am in the Portelet area - it was very crowded. The very early bus would probably be fine but I wouldn’t like to risk getting off and then trying to get on the next bus.

Many, many thanks, folks. After reading this, I ended up putting in a reservation with a car hire firm for a Ford S-Max for the day (we'll see if they actually have any). We're 4 adults and 2 kids, so that seems like a fun way to get around the island and hit all of the places we originally considered and maybe more. Seems a reasonable day-car for 4+2 and no luggage other than a backpack or two.

And drive on the opposite side of the road on narrow roads...

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Yup! Luckily, we went with the S-Max and not the larger option which looked close in size to a Sprinter. All part of the fun! We've got experience on narrow UK roads. Only last time, it was in a rented E-class Benz, which felt like a tank in rural Wales.

And drive on the opposite side of the road on narrow roads...

Yup! Luckily, we went with the S-Max and not the larger option which looked close in size to a Sprinter. All part of the fun! We've got experience on narrow UK roads. Only last time, it was in a rented E-class Benz, which felt like a tank in rural Wales.

We used Enterprise and pick up was on the pier right by the tender dock. There is a telephone inside the Harbour Facilities building with a freephone link to the car rental companies if you need it. It was inside this building we completed the paperwork. Driving on the island was fine, we were at the Little Chapel well before any of the tour buses, in fact we were the only people there.

Hi Mrs Emma Peel

First of all thank you for your kind words, as a frequent cruiser I very much appreciate when locals provide information on places I am due to visit, hence I am more than happy to help others where I can. I am very lucky to live on such a beautiful island, and I try to encourage cruise visitors to see as much of Guernsey as is practical in one day. Hopefully some will return for a longer visit.

You have made the right decision to hire a car in order to see the specific places you wish. Please ensure that you take a visit to the Little Chapel, it is not far from the Occupation Museum and is one of the most popular attractions. If you arrive before all the buses, you can view and be back in your car in around 20 minutes. Please make sure the hire car company provide you with a GPS sat nav.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Guernsey, and come back again. Our town was very busy today with the Royal Princess and CMV Columbus both in port. Beautiful sunny weather for the passengers.

Please feel free to post any further questions and I will try to assist.

I hope the car hire is refundable if you do not actually get ashore. Tendering into Guernsey is frequently cancelled due to rough seas. Your chances of getting there are probably only fifty- fifty, if that!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh we know - thanks. We've been following every thread and stalking the cruises; that's why we didn't rent a car at all until we looked deeper and heard from this season's early cruisers that the buses continue to be an issue. The company has a 5GBP cancellation Ins, but interestingly, so far the info has been "you pay when you collect your car". I have given them no payment info yet. But I also need to hear back on whether the S Max will be available that day. When they contact me with confirmation, I'll ensure that the cancellation ins is purchased.

I hope the car hire is refundable if you do not actually get ashore. Tendering into Guernsey is frequently cancelled due to rough seas. Your chances of getting there are probably only fifty- fifty, if that!

I agree, to be honest for all ports of call I always ensure that the tour, car hire etc is fully refundable if the ship does not dock, even if it is not a tender port. Chances of docking are not as pessimistic as you quote, approx 10% of the ships that are due to call are unable to tender.

Thank you - I actually felt bad starting this thread, since I thought maybe it would sound like I was second-guessing your posts over the years. I wanted to see if anything had changed for the early 2018 cruises. Clearly, they have not, so I looked one more time to try to find a 6-person car for rental. I _seem_ to have found one (we'll see), and indeed, it is a Ford S Max with a built-in SatNav.

We actually had forgotten about the Little Chapel, since our original bus planning didn't make that easy. But if the car comes through, I'm guessing we'll go. I'm sure my crew will love it.

And my books-mad elder daughter has been reading about the island.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up in case the seas are rough, but if I'm honest, Guernsey may be the port I'm most excited to see.

We were thinking of visiting Fort Hommet as an example of the German fortifications when we were bussing it; if we have a car and are not limited to buses, are there others you would recommend? We've watched several documentaries about the fortifications.

Hi Mrs Emma Peel

First of all thank you for your kind words, as a frequent cruiser I very much appreciate when locals provide information on places I am due to visit, hence I am more than happy to help others where I can. I am very lucky to live on such a beautiful island, and I try to encourage cruise visitors to see as much of Guernsey as is practical in one day. Hopefully some will return for a longer visit.

You have made the right decision to hire a car in order to see the specific places you wish. Please ensure that you take a visit to the Little Chapel, it is not far from the Occupation Museum and is one of the most popular attractions. If you arrive before all the buses, you can view and be back in your car in around 20 minutes. Please make sure the hire car company provide you with a GPS sat nav.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Guernsey, and come back again. Our town was very busy today with the Royal Princess and CMV Columbus both in port. Beautiful sunny weather for the passengers.

Please feel free to post any further questions and I will try to assist.

Thank you - I actually felt bad starting this thread, since I thought maybe it would sound like I was second-guessing your posts over the years. I wanted to see if anything had changed for the early 2018 cruises. Clearly, they have not, so I looked one more time to try to find a 6-person car for rental. I _seem_ to have found one (we'll see), and indeed, it is a Ford S Max with a built-in SatNav.

We actually had forgotten about the Little Chapel, since our original bus planning didn't make that easy. But if the car comes through, I'm guessing we'll go. I'm sure my crew will love it.

And my books-mad elder daughter has been reading about the island.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up in case the seas are rough, but if I'm honest, Guernsey may be the port I'm most excited to see.

We were thinking of visiting Fort Hommet as an example of the German fortifications when we were bussing it; if we have a car and are not limited to buses, are there others you would recommend? We've watched several documentaries about the fortifications.

Please confirm the date you are due to visit, as certain attractions are only open on certain days.

On our Eclipse sailing last June Guernsey was to be our first port but the seas were rough and we went straight on to Cherbourg, our second port. The next day was a sea day, so after that the ports were all as scheduled. The last day was supposed to be a sea day but instead we tendered at St Peter Port...it was a glorious day and we had a wonderful time.

Renting a car is a good idea as the bus does get crowded as the day progresses. I still haven't ade it to the Little Chapel in two visits, next time is going to be a land tour...;)

Ah, right. I had read that about the fortifications - we will be there on the Royal Princess on Tues, 19 June. Thanks for all of your great info!

Please confirm the date you are due to visit, as certain attractions are only open on certain days.

Ah, right. I had read that about the fortifications - we will be there on the Royal Princess on Tues, 19 June. Thanks for all of your great info!

Just in case your vehicle does not have sat nav (like ours), I have the ‘Here’ app on my phone. This makes it possible to download specific maps before you set off from home. Consequently I didn’t need expensive cellular roaming to access maps. It worked really well on the little lanes of Guernsey.

Excellent, the bunker at Fort Hommet is open on Tuesdays (and Saturdays) from 2pm to 5pm. Definitely worth a visit, you can also walk around the headland itself with others structures to view. The owner of the Occupation Museum also owns the bunker at Fort Hommet. Depending upon time availability and interests, the German Naval Signal Station in St Peter Port is also an excellent attraction, parking is difficult, you would need to try to find a parking space around the Odeon car park/Candie gardens. Excellent views of town and the island can been seen from the top of Victoria Tower. No charge for entry, pick up the key from Candie Museum, max 8 people (I think) allowed at any one time. Same area to park as for the Naval Signal Station.

Thank you - this is pure _gold_ for us! Now, I just need to keep our slightly-outsized rental car out of the hedgerows, and we'll have fun. I think our plan for the St Peter Port was to drive early and then return to port to relinquish our car and view the port. That way, we don't end up on the far side of the island too late. I'm assuming the rental car will have a parking "clock" in it, but we'll need to check. Been reviewing the Guernsey rules of the road.

Excellent, the bunker at Fort Hommet is open on Tuesdays (and Saturdays) from 2pm to 5pm. Definitely worth a visit, you can also walk around the headland itself with others structures to view. The owner of the Occupation Museum also owns the bunker at Fort Hommet. Depending upon time availability and interests, the German Naval Signal Station in St Peter Port is also an excellent attraction, parking is difficult, you would need to try to find a parking space around the Odeon car park/Candie gardens. Excellent views of town and the island can been seen from the top of Victoria Tower. No charge for entry, pick up the key from Candie Museum, max 8 people (I think) allowed at any one time. Same area to park as for the Naval Signal Station.

Folks,

In researching my plans to take my crew around Guernsey, our plan had been to use the buses to circle the island. I noticed in my searches here that not much has been said about how crowded these buses get, with one very aptly-named and like well-informed poster (GuernseyCruiser). I'm assuming from their name that they care very much about the Island(s) and are knowledgeable. This has me a little concerned. It sounds from them like every time we step off the bus, we'll be playing "Russian Roulette" as to when we'll be able to get back on and get elsewhere, as many buses are crowded/full.

So I'll ask more widely - have folks on recent St Peter Port cruises (esp on larger ships like Princess Royal-class) tried the buses, and did you find them to be problematic? Are there "tricks", e.g. NOT taking the obvious circumnavigating buses and instead taking lesser-known ones to specific locations?

From GuernseyCruiser, it sounds like the only safe way to use the municipal buses on a port day is to get on one that circles the island (e.g. 91/92) and stay on it for the entire circle so as to avoid getting blocked out of a return. I know our thought had been to get off twice; once at the occupation museum, and once at Fort Hommet (most likely).

Thanks!

Having been to Guernsey a few times on holiday, never on a cruise but while ships have been in port, and never having rented a car, I can speak from the tourist perspective on the buses. They do run extra buses on the 91/92 routes on cruise days, but the buses do fill up. I think that most cruisers who take the round-island ride do stay on for the full trip as your fare includes just one "ride" and you pay again when you re-board.

On a cruise day, I've boarded a 92 bus in Vazon, which is more or less directly opposite St Peter Port. It was crowded, and we were standing for a bit, I think until the airport.

A relative on Guernsey told me last year that the Guernsey buses have added an "extra-fee" bus (£7-10 I think) that is specifically for cruise guests that does have some narration and makes on/off stops. Maybe GuernseyCruiser can chime in on that.

Alternately, I can recommend Intransit (http://www.intransit.gg) as an option for a bus tour with stops.

We've stayed in Vazon twice and missed the opening of Ft Hommet both times. Ft Hommet is the quintessential blend of the old British fortifications and the influence of German occupation. There are some beautiful sunsets from there, too. :)

Thank you - this is pure _gold_ for us! Now, I just need to keep our slightly-outsized rental car out of the hedgerows, and we'll have fun. I think our plan for the St Peter Port was to drive early and then return to port to relinquish our car and view the port. That way, we don't end up on the far side of the island too late. I'm assuming the rental car will have a parking "clock" in it, but we'll need to check. Been reviewing the Guernsey rules of the road.
What's a 'Parking clock'??

Just in case your vehicle does not have sat nav (like ours), I have the ‘Here’ app on my phone. This makes it possible to download specific maps before you set off from home. Consequently I didn’t need expensive cellular roaming to access maps. It worked really well on the little lanes of Guernsey.

You can also, on google maps, download areas for offline use. I've done that for Guernsey, Jersey, and other parts of Europe with good success. At least you know where you are, even if you're still lost :)

What's a 'Parking clock'??

One of those discs you display in a vehicle and use to indicate when you parked in certain zones. Widely used in a Guernsey, I believe. Parking free, but you can only stay a certain amount of time.

One of those discs you display in a vehicle and use to indicate when you parked in certain zones. Widely used in a Guernsey, I believe. Parking free, but you can only stay a certain amount of time.

Ah right, bit like the old blue disabled badges with the clock on.