NEW Noordam Pictures

Winchester

OK. I have shots enough up to make my own thread.

This is my picture site. I took a ton of shots on the Noordam on Monday 2/20/06 in NYC. More will be coming. As I said on the other list, I shoot a lot when I have no idea when/if I will be back.

I also think this is an appropriate set of shots to view when considering the new Queen Victoria. Design is similar.

For my comments below, I am comparing to Maasdam, my last HAL ship. And this is the first of this class I have been aboard.. which is another reason i took so many shots.

On this ship I LOVE the Lido deck ... the pool under the big dome and the dining area. Looks like I will have to have lunch 2x a day!! The 2 favorite things I like, the fresh pasta and stirfry stations each have their own spaces now. I also think the piano bar is much better arranged than the Statendam class. No longer the afterthought squeezed around a staff area.

I was not as excited about the atrium area or the main dining room. I thought the ceiling height in the part I was eating in was LOW. The atrium was puny and cramped especially on deck 1... at the bottom. I think traffic flow would be a problem.

I'll continue to add shots in the next week as I have time.

Thanks again for the great photos!

The vexing thing about the Vista-class ships, to me, is that the dining room and the main lounge are much less impressive than on the S- and R-class ships.

On the other hand, I rather like the Vista-class atrium, it is smaller than on hte S and R ships but with the bar down on Deck 1 and the Ocean Bar open to the upper level, it is decided more "usable". On the S and R ships the atrium seems mostly decorative, I tend to pass through it but never actually spend any time there.

That said, the Vistas are beginning to grow on me. Certainly, while some of the fundamental flaws (lack of a cinema, the rather disappointing dining room, poor sightlines in the main lounge) can't be fixed, it seems that each Vista-class ship has been better than the one before.

NOORDAM's interiors look particularly attractive and honestly while I never thought I'd go out of my way to sail in a Vista-class again, but actually I've almost caught wondering when I can sail in her... She's the first Vista that really attracts me.

What talent you have .

Are you going on the March, 25th, 2006 A.D voyage? Or do who else is too then..

Your site is well done as well in the interactive media used.

An American asset you are. Holland America has the best allie.

You should sell some of your works to WNBC which broadcasts on the net too in New Jersey here on RT 9 W next to the Pallisades Interstate Parkway (PIP). WCBS is just a few block from the NYC Passenger Ship Terminal too...

With Holland America finally coming back to the original US Port the 4th Noordam was welcomed and the public wants more.. the NY Post would probably run your portfolio too...

I have stumbled onto the CC site and hastily joined. My wife and I are sailing on Noordam a week from tomorrow (but who's counting?)!! I am so excited and can't get enough info about "our" ship and the people we will meet onboard. This is such a great resource and your pictures are a godsend. Especially useful are the critical comments of the ship. I have been trying to find out a couple of details.. 1st - Did the crew have visible issues concerning the tragedy in the Phillipines? With 1800+ killed I would imagine that they are a sober and sad bunch. My heart goes out to them. 2nd (and oh so trivial)- will I be able to download and burn images from my digital camera using the ships computers or do I need to stock up on expensive digital flash media?

Welcome to the boards, and to the March 4 sailing.

From what I know of the digital camera issue, no, you are not able to use the ships computers to burn CD's. It is available as a service in the photo shop. They charge (last I heard) 15.00 per CD to burn it. I use 1gig Flash, which to the best of my knowledge will not fit on one CD, I believe it takes two. So for me to get them burned, 30.00 per card does not compare well to paying about 65.00 for another 1 gig card. Others have stated, but I am not sure where, you may be able to get them burned on land while in port at a cheaper rate. The price of the cards has come down so much lately, that in this case it seems a better option to stock up, at least for me anyway.

Some go as far as bringing their own laptop for the purpose of transferring images.

Also, if you can make your way around this site, there is a roll call board with this sailing listed. There is not a large group, but we are planning a meet. Seems many of the posters here are on the current maiden voyage.

Thanks for the photos!

You cleared up a question I had about the pics on HAL we site of the Lido Pool. The dolphin sculpute is very similar to the one on the Westerdam.

I wonder why HAL has different animals on the first three Vista class ships and then repeated the dolphins from the Westerdam on the Noordam.

Other than that admittedly minor thing, I love the look and decor of the Noordam.

Archived