In a state of shock - could this be true ?? price drop - unbelievable

Cruishappy@aol.com

Hi Everyone --- I am sitting here in a state of shock --- we made reservations for a cruise from our standard TA -- who I always had a great deal of trust and respect for --- he would always meet the price of any competitor and his service has always been super --- however I just found the same cruise that we have made reservations for --- for $900.00 less --- this is truly unbelievable --- but it is actually true --- I checked the dates - the category --- and went over them a number of times --- and they all check out to be true --- they have confirmed this price via EMail --- I am delighted with this price --- but am disappointed with my TA --- I have contacted him advising him of this update and hopefully he will be able to meet this price ----

Hi Everyone --- I am sitting here in a state of shock --- we made reservations for a cruise from our standard TA -- who I always had a great deal of trust and respect for --- he would always meet the price of any competitor and his service has always been super --- however I just found the same cruise that we have made reservations for --- for $900.00 less --- this is truly unbelievable --- but it is actually true --- I checked the dates - the category --- and went over them a number of times --- and they all check out to be true --- they have confirmed this price via EMail --- I am delighted with this price --- but am disappointed with my TA --- I have contacted him advising him of this update and hopefully he will be able to meet this price ----

You know what they say about things that appear to be too good to be true?

Make sure that you are comparing apples to apples, and that port and taxes are a part of each quote. Let us know how this turns out.

Guest rfrenchbaxter

hammybee,

I just realized our cruise had gone down also. In fact I have caught it 2 times now and called my TA, both times he called RCC and they honored it. I don't think he would match any other price but as long as the cruise line had it reduced then he would have to honer it. If he truly will match any other companies prices that is great for you. I am not convinced my TA would ever call me and tell me the cruise has gone down, I have had to do my own leg work and will continue. Goodluck!

rfrenchbaxter

I am delighted with this price --- but am disappointed with my TA --- I have contacted him advising him of this update and hopefully he will be able to meet this price ----

You don't say what sailing you are on, but it could be that sales for it have been sluggish and HAL dropped the price to stimulate bookings. If that is so, your TA should have no trouble meeting that price at all. Also, as someone else said, make sure you are comparing apples with apples. If port charges and taxes are extra with the lower price, they will gobble up much of the savings. Also, do you get an onboard ammenity package with the higher price (including some onboard credit) that you don't get with the lower one? If those ammenities are things you would probably have spent money on anyway (the cruise DVD, a photo credit, Pinnacle Grill experience, etc.), then losing that ammenity package will most likely mean having a higher onboard bill to pay at the end of the cruise.

You have to check all this stuff out or you could actually wind up paying more with the lower price than with the original higher one.

Let us know how this all shakes out for you.

Blue skies ...

--rita

hammybee,

I just realized our cruise had gone down also. In fact I have caught it 2 times now and called my TA, both times he called RCC and they honored it. I don't think he would match any other price but as long as the cruise line had it reduced then he would have to honer it. If he truly will match any other companies prices that is great for you. I am not convinced my TA would ever call me and tell me the cruise has gone down, I have had to do my own leg work and will continue. Goodluck!

rfrenchbaxter

rfrenchbaxter: Of course prices drop and sometimes many times on a cruise that is not selling well. $900 seems like a substantial drop. But then, I don't know the duration of this cruise or the intinerary or how many pax on the reservation. And most TAs will match price rather than lose a customer . It's a tough business.

I actually just had one travel agent beat my regular travel agent's price

by thousands!! It's for a family of 5, and we checked to make sure that all taxes and port charges are included. I'm still feeling a bit concerned, but

this TA is reputable.

You know what they say about things that appear to be too good to be true?

agree advice from Hammybee IMO:)

IMHO be careful: I've had price reductions after booking and TA has for the most part "matched"

however, don't don't don't cancel or move reservation until you confirm reduction is accurate, THE IDENTITY OF THE COMPANY OFFERING THE DEAL (they could be here today and in Bankrutcy tomorrow) and whether your TA, when informed, will offer to match .. most importantly, will you get a confirmation with a cruise line letterhead or will it be from some cruise broker firm in operating on an island off the coast of New Zealand?

you could get lucky:cool:

you could also wind up with more problems than you "bargained" for:)

It is hard for me, as a TA to believe there could be that much difference unless it is 1-a very long cruise or 2-a very special suite. We do see rates drops and yes, there are on line companies that offer better prices than regular agents can offer, but $900 for 2, that does sound to good to be true. If, indeed HAL dropped the price that much I am sure your TA will be able to match it or come close. Keep us posted and as has been said, be careful. Even an email response may not tell the entire story. NMnita

Hi everyone --- thanks for all the replies and the advice --- last night I was surprised to get a call from my TA --- he said that he was going to honor it and that I would receive the price drop --- - the reservation was for a suite and it is on the Noordam --- I will keep you all posted if there are any changes --- and once again thank you for all your responses

WOW!! That is a huge price drop. We are bargain cruise shoppers, and are able to cruise as often as we do because we shop for the bargains. I suspect that just about everyone here realizes that the travel industry is highly competitive, and that there is an awful lot of bait and switch advertising. And here in the big city where we live, just about every year there is a scandal about some travel agent that takes a passengers money but does not pass it on to the cruise line.

The best we have ever done was a cruise that went down in price by $250.00 per person. And all it took was a phone call to our TA, a reputable firm that advertises on CC, to get the benefit of the price drop. Just a little reminder that the Travel Agent is supposed to represent the passenger, not the cruise line. Our agent has added quite a bit to the cruise vacation experience with her knowledge and travel tips as well. So we continue to check out the competition, but we always go back and book with her.

That said, we have booked every cruise with the same person at the same agency. In fact our entire extended family uses this person, not because of the "lowest prices" but because of the reputation for honesty and accuracy.

I really recommend that you consider the advice of the posters who have responded so far and take a good hard look at this. And by all means, talk to your TA before you do anything.:)

I just found a very large price difference from a reputable on-line agency. My TA who I have used for 8 years quoted me $550.00 more per person than this agency. I just called her and told her, she said that she just recieved notice that the rates did indeed go down, so she's calling me back shortly and will meet or beat the lower price! I personally cannot believe this, who would have thought?!

Happy Cruising!

We also use the same TA --- have been on 54 cruises and he has always given us great service and met the price of any competitor --- we will be on that same ship in October and again in January --- which will be cruise No. 55 and 56 ---- I will keep you all posted if there are anymore changes - and once again thank you for alll you input

I just found a very large price difference from a reputable on-line agency. My TA who I have used for 8 years quoted me $550.00 more per person than this agency. I just called her and told her, she said that she just recieved notice that the rates did indeed go down, so she's calling me back shortly and will meet or beat the lower price! I personally cannot believe this, who would have thought?!

Happy Cruising!

This is what usually happens, The on line agencies will post a price and sure enough the cruiselines are the ones offering it. This happened to me not too long ago. A client called and said he had gotten an email announcing the reduction of his cruise by $100 per person, could I match it? Guess what? Within about an hour from the phone call the same price appeared on the cruiseline site. Another cliant last month got almost $900 back; it was a suite and a 15 day cruise.

I noticed last week, and called our TA right away. We booked through Costco, and I got $1197 back on a VF cabin for 4 on the Noordam next Feb. I couldn't believe it either, since it is a Holiday week cruise too. Maybe the fuel prices going down are helping? They told me most of the savings was the price drop for the 3 & 4th passengers in the cabin. They went to less than half of what it was.

Now I have more left over to drink and shop with on the ship!

Soooo excited! She called back and said she will meet the price and will also throw in either some on board credits, or dinner in the specialty restaurant. I cannot believe this is happening due to the holiday week in Feb. that we are going. We are actually saving over $3000.00 for the 5 of us, that's almost another cruise! Yay!

:)

We're sailing the Westerdam January 28. Our price has not gone down, but then again, they have sold out balconies, so I don't expect a price drop. However, the sailing the next week (Feb. 4) is very inexpensive, only $186 more pp for a suite. I noticed several sailings around Feb. 4 have dropped in price. I suspect bookings may be soft due to the Super Bowl being in Miami that weekend. I've heard of people cancelling cruises because hotels and air are ridiculously high around that weekend. Maybe that's why prices have dropped on some sailings?

I just saw your post and checked out the price of our cruise with our on-line agent. We are saving a total of $1,050 for the 2 of us from what we paid for our SS about 2 months ago. Also called our travel insurance company and we are getting the amount of coverage reduced because of the lower price and are getting a refund on that also. Thanks!

I just saw your post and checked out the price of our cruise with our on-line agent. We are saving a total of $1,050 for the 2 of us from what we paid for our SS about 2 months ago. Also called our travel insurance company and we are getting the amount of coverage reduced because of the lower price and are getting a refund on that also. Thanks!

That is exactly the reason that this board is so Amazing! If people don't know the facts, how can they learn things like this? I Love CC!!

Archived