Will you book a September cruise again?

ebonybee

We usually cruise in September for several reasons-kids in school and our anniversary. However, hubby just TOLD me not to even give cruising in September a thought-the answer is going to be just plain NO! I think this is just the year for the "hurricane cycle." Any thoughts?

However, he's not going to keep me from cruising! What's the average number of hurricanes in say....first half of December!

We have already booked a cruise for next Sept ! I guess we're either brave or stupid! We booked while onboard Navigator's now notorius Aug. 28 cruise which became a 9 day instead of a 7. We loved getting extra days. My husband says let's always try for a Sept cruise. Maybe we'll get lucky and get extra days again! Actually, we cruised VOS last Sept. and had perfect weather. Anyway, I couldn't resist the Sept. 12 2005 itinerary of Jewel, 10 days out of Boston which includes both Bermuda and Tortola, two islands we've never seen, as well as 2 favorites, Labadee and St. Martin. If we miss those ports, oh well, we'll just try again!

We have been cruising every year around Labor day for some time. I think every year we have had active storms somewhere while cruising, but have never missed a port or had our cruise altered until this year.

What happened this year will not change our ways. I have lived in Florida all my life and I know how often the storms come near us and it really is not very often. What has happened so far this year to happen is not normal at all.

We always cruise the last week of August around labor day. This year we got "stuck " on the Enchantment for 2 extra days thanks to Frances!! Next year we are sailing on the Adventure, leaving the Sunday before labor day. As long as we are on the ship, it doesn't matter what happens!!

We just got back from the Mariner. We missed Grand Cayman but made all of the other ports. We've been cruising around Sept or Oct for years now. This is the first time we've missed a port. But it won't stop us from cruising this time of year. We've got 2 booked for next year and one of them is going to be early Oct.

I think this is just the year for the "hurricane cycle." Any thoughts?

The experts are saying this is the beginning of an above average or active hurricane period which could extend 30 years. Apparently, we just came out of a 30 year "quiet" period.

When I lived overseas in the 60's, I remember we had lots of hurricanes during those years.

Only time will tell if the experts are correct.

Until then, I guess everyone should buy cruise insurance (but I bet it gets more expensive if they continue to suffer losses like I'm sure they are having this fall)

I would do it again in a minute! We lost some planned time but that was okay, still would schedule or not schedule because of the hurricane season.

Ira

Did any of this make sense? Did to me but looks like my typing and translation might not be the same. :cool:

Hi Ebonybee! Were were on the Brilliance with you and Ron. We ALWAYS cruise in September, ususally Hawaii. In fact, we leave Sunday for a 22 day back to back on the Serenade. It is a great time to catch some of the repositioning cruises out of Alaska. The prices are very good and the weather perfect in the islands. No hurricane worries at all!

Hope to cruise with you again!

We have cruised the first week of December for the last 3 years. The weather has always been extremely warm and sunny. The exception was this past year the last day of the cruise in St. Thomas was overcast. Next day returned to San Juan to a torrential down pour with almost a foot of water standing everywhere. It just made getting luggage to the taxi and then the airport a problem.

We love to cruise the first week of December. Holiday decorations are up and the Christmas music is playing throughout the Islands. It is a wonderful time of year to cruise.

We just came back from Enchantment on Saturday. This was my first cruise and we sailed through the tail end of Ivan. We missed our stop in Key West, which while a bit disappointing wasn't a big deal. However, the waters were so rough 3/4 of the ship was sick, sick, sick...so I think I will save for a bit longer and go during non-hurricane season next. I've never been so sick in my life those first two days. The last three were great and we had a wonderful time...but not sure I'm willing to chance it again. So, I guess my answer is no, not in September...but definitely will cruise again...it was a blast.

Cruising in September you get uncertainty as to where you'll be going, but in exchange, you get the lowest prices of the year. It's a tradeoff.

I don't mind being on a "mystery cruise" so I'm willing to take that risk in exchange for a low price.

If there was a port I absolutely wanted to visit, I wouldn't plan visiting it during hurricane season.

My wife and I sailed on the Voyager of the Seas in the first week of October and we had beautiful weather on our western itinerary and we are booked again for the same period next year on the Mariner and hope we have the same weather as before. If we have a hurricane to deal with,we will just deal with it at the time. I don't think it will stop us from going again in that time of year.

Absolutely. I wouldn't think twice as a matter of fact.

The prices are right and it's the only vacation that can actually move around a storm.

Although I might take consideration into what airport we fly into/out of - like probably hit Miami or Ft. Lauderdale as opposed to San Juan - not for weather reasons, but my own biased thinking is that Fla airports probably have a more efficiant crisis mode.

If you are willing to be flexible, definitely!!!!! The prices are good, kids are in school, why not?? If you are the kind of person that MUST go where the itinerary says, then maybe not - but if you are willing to go with the flow, go for it!!!!

Oh, and definitely buy insurance :D

Just returned from VOS 9-nite Caribbean and had a great time in spite of the hurricanes, which required an almost total itinerary change (except for Labadee). I would take a Sept cruise in future, but not to the Caribbean, not so much because of hurricanes, because obviously the captain and crew know what they're doing. In my case, the abominable heat and humidity in San Juan and St. Maarten really got to me, and perhaps I should have just stayed on the ship, which is magnificent. But Bon Voyage to all of you who don't have a problem with the heat.

we just returned from the enchament and even though we had a really good time, we will never cruise during hurrican season ever again....i had cruised many, many years ago during hurrican season and did not have a problem at all...but with mother nature changing her ways, this time was a total different ball park....from mon - wed the seas were VERY rough.....i myself was sick all of tuesday night and missed out on everything....i acutally couldnt wait to get on land....i am still swaying....i will cruise again, but not during those months....between missing key west and being as sick as i was from the effects of the storm I called R.C. to see what kind of compensation they would offer....there exact words "NOTHING"....i was a bit ticked off at that beings they took us 100 miles south of the storm....we do not understand why we did not go a different route....3/4 of the ship was sick becuase of thier judgement call..i would have been happier being left out at sea with calm waters then take the itenerary that we did...i have decided next cruise we will go with a differnt cruise line(just keeping my options open).

I would never cruise during Hurricane Season. We did it once and it was very nerve racking because there was a Hurricane out there that just wouldn't go away. Kept bobbling around. Never affected our cruise other than some rough seas. The only place I would go is Alaska in September. We had a lovely time there in September last year. It is also a good time because they have loads of stuff on sale cause you are some of the last Alaska cruises of the season.

I know some people have no choice but to cruise during that time though.

Hurricane Season only last thru November. Can't remember the exact date but could easily be looked up.

HAPPY CRUISING!!!!!

Archived