From Atlanta to Barcelona: Delta or Air France?

mickeysgal

We are looking at a direct flight from Atlanta to Barcelona for our NCL cruise. Which airline - Delta or Air France is better overall, in your opinion? Which has better leg room, movies, food (if any), etc.

Strangely enough they also have the same flight times going out of Atlanta AND the same time returning from Barcelona (10am). I called NCL and they said the 10am flight is the earliest they would book passengers. I'm hoping we'll be ok - these are the only direct flights out for the day.

I was sort of hoping for British Airways since I love their TV's for each seat and that would make the time fly by, but so far the flight timing and price hasn't worked for us.

If it means anything, I'd suggest Delta for no other reason that their flights both to and from Barcelona are non-stops....

Any other airline, Air France or British, etc. are going to involve changing planes along the way. Both Heathrow and Charles de Gaulle are zoos!!

Delta's service and amenities are no better or no worse than anyone else.

The only slight drawback is that you arrive in BCN between 9 and 10 am, so you might have a bit of a wait until you would be allowed to board.

Enjoy your cruise!

If it means anything, I'd suggest Delta for no other reason that their flights both to and from Barcelona are non-stops....

Any other airline, Air France or British, etc. are going to involve changing planes along the way. Both Heathrow and Charles de Gaulle are zoos!!

Delta's service and amenities are no better or no worse than anyone else.

The only slight drawback is that you arrive in BCN between 9 and 10 am, so you might have a bit of a wait until you would be allowed to board.

Enjoy your cruise!

Both the Delta and Air France flights from Atlanta to Barcelona are non-stop.

Could you please explain the drawback about BCN again? I'm not understanding... :)

We flew on Delta for our Venice-Barcelona cruise last summer. Our return trip was BCN-ATL-PHX. The BCN-ATL flight was great because even though we were in economy our seats had those personal TV's with games, TV shows and movies. Our kids were happily entertained for the entire flight. We didn't have those on the ATL-VCE flight so it was much appreciated on the flight home. Check what kind of aircraft you will be on and look at seatguru.com -- it should tell you whether you have those on the Delta and Air France flights.

--Junglejane

You might want to double check the flight. Sounds like an Air France code share flight and it will be operated by Delta--not two different flights.

That's what I thought. They do have separate flight numbers though. Could they code share and still have separate flight numbers?

We are looking at a direct flight from Atlanta to Barcelona for our NCL cruise. Which airline - Delta or Air France is better overall, in your opinion? Which has better leg room, movies, food (if any), etc.

Strangely enough they also have the same flight times going out of Atlanta AND the same time returning from Barcelona (10am). I called NCL and they said the 10am flight is the earliest they would book passengers. I'm hoping we'll be ok - these are the only direct flights out for the day.

I was sort of hoping for British Airways since I love their TV's for each seat and that would make the time fly by, but so far the flight timing and price hasn't worked for us.

As OP mentioned this is likely a codeshare and its one and the same airplane. A TA or looking at the flight details can help resolve that. If it is the same plane all things being the same I'd likely go with the one that gives you the best perks ( mileage etc. ). If there is nothing else I'd pick Delta. Would you rather deal with Delta or Air France reps for Check-in and customer service.

Another airline you could consider is US Air. They fly direct from Philly, but of course if the South or Atlanta is where home is that is a no brainer.

As OP mentioned this is likely a codeshare and its one and the same airplane. A TA or looking at the flight details can help resolve that. If it is the same plane all things being the same I'd likely go with the one that gives you the best perks ( mileage etc. ). If there is nothing else I'd pick Delta. Would you rather deal with Delta or Air France reps for Check-in and customer service.

I don't quite understand this. On a codeshare, you will have to deal with the airline on whose metal you are actually flying. That is, if you book online with Delta, but you are actually flying on Air France metal, you will have to check in with Air France, not DL and vice versa.

OP - I am confused by your post. On another thread, you mention you booked cruise air. Have you paid for a deviation so you may choose your flights?

Both the Delta and Air France flights from Atlanta to Barcelona are non-stop.

Could you please explain the drawback about BCN again? I'm not understanding... :)

I was addressing your flying to Barcelona to meet a cruise. Since the flight from Atlanta (non-stop) arrives between 9 and 10 am, you might have to wait for a few hours before you would be allowed to board their ship. Just a minor inconvenience, as non-stops are always my preference....

However, only Delta flies to Barcelona non-stop - the Air France flight you saw is a "code-share" - in other words, a Delta aircraft, but sold as an Air France flight. However, no stop at CDG is required.....

OP - I am confused by your post. On another thread, you mention you booked cruise air. Have you paid for a deviation so you may choose your flights?

I do have a flight/cruise booked as a package through an online TA. I've been watching air and it has dropped enough that I can piece it the cruise and air together such that it is a bit cheaper than the package I booked and I would be able to get a direct flight rather than having to get myself up to JFK for the NCL flight.

Bottom line, I'm trying to get myself on this cruise as economically and conveniently as possible.

I do have a flight/cruise booked as a package through an online TA. I've been watching air and it has dropped enough that I can piece it the cruise and air together such that it is a bit cheaper than the package I booked and I would be able to get a direct flight rather than having to get myself up to JFK for the NCL flight.

Bottom line, I'm trying to get myself on this cruise as economically and conveniently as possible.

That makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived