Ensenada .... worth getting off the ship?

dockhl

We plan to head to Papas and Beer when we go there next weekend. It's a party place and we're going with the DS (19), Female BFF (19), and Male BFF (20). We would have gone to Hussong's but if you have to be 21...that's not happening. The kids want to have a couple of beers and have fun not get stinking drunk. The DH and I will be with them to make sure all's well and that they make it back to the ship on time!:D

We will be stopping there on our way home from Hawaii as well this winter. I bake a lot, so I will be on the lookout for the vanilla. I saw somewhere that there was a place you can go to see Sea Lions. Does anyone know how to get there- there is no Princess excursion that does this. Has anyone done it- was it worth it?

We will be stopping there on our way home from Hawaii as well this winter. I bake a lot, so I will be on the lookout for the vanilla. I saw somewhere that there was a place you can go to see Sea Lions. Does anyone know how to get there- there is no Princess excursion that does this. Has anyone done it- was it worth it?

There is usually a group of sea lions at the end of pier 2(the farther one). If you are at this pier, then go to the end of the ship (usually the back, as they are on the concrete by the entrance to the port area). There is usually 1 or 2 swimming around the marina.

SeaLionsinEnsenada1a_zpsc3743c9f.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
When we booked our cruise I researched things to do in Ensenada. We decided on a winery tour but wasn't to hip on a big bus tour thru the cruise line. We booked a private tour with Mariana from toursbylocals. It was awesome. Our guide was very knowledgable and knew the vintners personally. We ended up visiting 4 wineries (had to pay for only one) plus had an amazing lunch. We bought 20 bottles of wine ( yes we had to check it but customs was a breeze). The wine country was very nice and this was one of the best excursions we have ever done.

Hi Firestorm1... question - how was customs a breeze? I thought the limit was 2 bottles per person. Did you have to pay a fee to bring all that wine back in? did you declare it all on the form? I sail next week and plan on going to the wineries. As I'm a wineclub member in Temecula, I know I will want to buy everything that I like, so I was concerned with how the customs stuff works if you're over the limit.

thanks much!!!:confused:

The 1 liter limit is for California residents. I believe that non California residents may bring back 5 cases.

I know people who live in CA that have brought more than 1 liter and weren't fined. It depends on the agent and whether or not he/she is feeling generous or not.

The 1 liter limit is for California residents. I believe that non California residents may bring back 5 cases.

Odd, isn't it, that California residents can only import 1 liter of wine, while others can import 5 cases?...can we suggest that "California Wine Merchants have a bit of influence in state laws"? Oregon has similar rules about bringing in hard liquor, but I'm sure that it is only a coincidence that the State of Oregon owns, and controls, all hard liquors sold in the state. Nothing like "of the people and for the people"....

Odd, isn't it, that California residents can only import 1 liter of wine, while others can import 5 cases?...can we suggest that "California Wine Merchants have a bit of influence in state laws"? Oregon has similar rules about bringing in hard liquor, but I'm sure that it is only a coincidence that the State of Oregon owns, and controls, all hard liquors sold in the state. Nothing like "of the people and for the people"....

California residents can bring in 5 cases of wine (60 liters). They would still be subject to Federal Duty fees.

http://www.abc.ca.gov/permits/importing.html

We declared 20 bottles of wine on our customs form. The agent called his supervisor who told him to waive us on thru. I do believe there are different rules depending on your state of residence (we are from Idaho).

Firestorm, how much was the tour per person that you did through Marina? We've taken the Wine Country tour and enjoyed it, but this might be a better option.

• 2 weeks later...
If you have any interest in food, Ensenada is a fantastic port of call. It has the full range. Street food- La Guerreense, La Fenix; casual - Tres Muelles; fine dining - Manzanilla, Sano Steakhouse.

I'd like to second these suggestions. I've eaten at Manzanilla and Tres Muelles and both are excellent. Tres Muelles is right by the cruise port, and Manzanilla is a short walk.

The Tripadvisor reviews are mostly accurate, but Chowhound is the best place to go for foodie destinations: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/767830

And here's an encomium to La Guerreense street cart (I've not eaten there, but it's on my list): http://www.streetgourmetla.com/2009/09/la-guerrerensethe-streetcart-named.html

Hi everyone - I'm just back from a 3 day to Ensenada Aug. 8-11.

Here are my thoughts on Ensenada. We used the shuttle from the cruise ship to town and then bought the $15 tour that takes you to the blow hole and drops you in downtown.

DO not go to the restaurant recommended by the tour company at the flea market. The food was nasty. The tacos by the little restaurant by the bathrooms in the parking lot looked delish and tons of people ate them. Eat those first! the churros at the stand on the edge of the parking lot were best.

Learn to negotiate pricing with vendors and be willing to walk to the next shop to get a better price. Each vendor owns like 20 stalls so you can get deals if you stand your ground!

Definitely go to downtown. We margarita hopped as is our nature wherever we go LOL Husson's is the best. small margaritas, but 2 for $3. It's an old place on the side street by Papas & Beer (which is party central). Bestie and I totally loved the old world feel of hussons. Having been in the Navy, we've seen our fair share of party ports so can do without those types of shenanigans LOL

I highly recommend the hand made leather flip flop sandals at the flea market. I got 5 pairs for $60. They are soooo comfy!!

Liquor is not limited to how many bottles you can bring, just DUTY FREE applies to one bottle. You can bring back 30 bottles, but have to pay Duty tax. Most of the time, they just waive you through. They don't want to do the paperwork. Wine tours in Ensenada a very nice to do. Estero Beach is great for a simple day at the beach.

Liquor is not limited to how many bottles you can bring, just DUTY FREE applies to one bottle. You can bring back 30 bottles, but have to pay Duty tax. Most of the time, they just waive you through. They don't want to do the paperwork. Wine tours in Ensenada a very nice to do. Estero Beach is great for a simple day at the beach.

We did a wine tour and enjoyed it a lot. I probably wouldn't waste my time anywhere else in Ensenada.

• 4 weeks later...

Are you asking if the shuttle buses offer a wine tour or are wine tours offered once the shuttle gets you in to town? We did a Guadalupe Valley tour through Princess and the price was only $49.00. We visited two wineries had tastings and snacks and got a free bottle of a pleasant red at LA Cetto winery. We were back,at the ship by about 1:00pm. Then walked into town to the fish market and enjoyed delicious fish tacos, cocteles de camarrones and Margaritas. Casually strolled and window shopped back to the ship. The most spectacular port call of my life? No, but a perfectly lovely day., never the less. Can't imagine just staying on the ship, but we are all different, of course.

I like Ensenada for a few reasons:

1. small town --- quiet for the most part.

2. Great place to get a new pair of glasses or contact lenses if its time for your eye exam and you need a new Rx.

3. Great prices on fabric --- great fabric shop just off the main drag near Rositas Cantina

4. Great little places to eat, get Mexican coffee (yum!) and pastries ---these are everywhere

5. The cops don't hassle me when I set up my easel to paint in whatever area I want --- cops in Ensenada are very cool and nice to me. Always. A couple have even bought paintings from me. (and like a good neighbor, I give them a great discount.)

La Bufadora is no big deal in my opinion...when you get there, you will say to yourself, "I came xyz hundred miles to look at a hole...."

The mercado near La Bufadora really doesn't offer much in the way of bargains if that's what you're looking for...most is overpriced junk. But, that's just me...

Winery tours are nice also. Ensenada is what YOU make of it...nice, quiet little town with time for shopping, and then back to the ship for lunch and pool time.

Do you have more information on the fabric stores???

• 4 weeks later...
We stopped in Ensenada during our April 2012 Sapphire Princess cruise. We had not planned on going ashore until a couple we met during dinner encouraged us to take the winery excursion through PCL. At that time it was only $35/pp and it was fantastic! We were each given a bottle of wine as well. It's now $45/pp. :( Sign of the times I guess.

What was the name of the winery tour that gave you a bottle of wine? Thanks. Marlster

• 4 weeks later...