Wine - Can we Ship it to the Ship?

SonomaWine

This is our first time to cruise on Seabourn. In the past, with other lines, we shipped a case of wine and it was ready and waiting for us in our stateroom. Has anyone done this on Seabourn? We find it fun to meet new friends and share a bottle or two of wine from our cellar over dinner. :D

This is our first time to cruise on Seabourn. In the past, with other lines, we shipped a case of wine and it was ready and waiting for us in our stateroom. Has anyone done this on Seabourn? We find it fun to meet new friends and share a bottle or two of wine from our cellar over dinner. :D

Your idea sounds nice and good. BUT, since the wine is of very good quality and without added cost on the ship, is it that needed to do this? People could take a bottle home, but with the luggage limits and tightness in packing, they might not have the extra room. Just a couple of thoughts to consider.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

California Wines & Seabourn, now that's a dream cruise.

If only your 1st cruise on Seabourn was in the Caribbean March 4th aboard the Legend. We would be more then happy to pay any corkage fee you might encounter. :D

Thank you Lord of the Seas. We will contact Seabourn and see what arrangements need to be made. I am always shocked that an all inclusive line would charge corkage, but we had it happen at $11 per bottle on SeaDream. Silversea doesn't charge anything. I will also look into their wine packages, as it sounds like they have put some nice thought offering it.

TLCOhio, Wripro is very correct in our intentions. We always bring wine on our cruises, and not only do we enjoy it ourselves, but we love meeting new friends and sharing special vintages from our back yard. It is a way that we bring a bit of home to our vacation!

It's too bad we won't be travling with the "Wandering Winos" as I am sure we'd enjoy quite a few bottles together. We will be on the Sojourn for the December 10th sailing, but maybe we should look into the March sailing when on board.

Thank you Lord of the Seas. We will contact Seabourn and see what arrangements need to be made. I am always shocked that an all inclusive line would charge corkage, but we had it happen at $11 per bottle on SeaDream. Silversea doesn't charge anything. I will also look into their wine packages, as it sounds like they have put some nice thought offering it.

TLCOhio, Wripro is very correct in our intentions. We always bring wine on our cruises, and not only do we enjoy it ourselves, but we love meeting new friends and sharing special vintages from our back yard. It is a way that we bring a bit of home to our vacation!

It's too bad we won't be travling with the "Wandering Winos" as I am sure we'd enjoy quite a few bottles together. We will be on the Sojourn for the December 10th sailing, but maybe we should look into the March sailing when on board.

I too am a bit surprised that there is a corkage fee on SB. I look forward to meeting you on December 10th...

Host Dan

There is a real incentive to book your next cruise while aboard. Keep in mind how beautiful the Caribbean will be in March and it will also allow you to experience cruising on one of the triplets. It goes without saying we would have a lot in common.

Shirley & Guy aka. Wandering Winos

Your idea sounds nice and good. BUT, since the wine is of very good quality and without added cost on the ship, is it that needed to do this? People could take a bottle home, but with the luggage limits and tightness in packing, they might not have the extra room. Just a couple of thoughts to consider.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

Terry from Ohio --

I know SonomaWine -- and had to laugh at your advice -- SonomaWine -- DUH -- the guy lives in wine country, has a vast cellar, and asked a question regarding logistics, not whether it was worth doing.

But your response piqued my curiosity so I spent a little time on CC message boards. Terry, I think you should have your own thread on CC! To support my suggestion I note that Host Dan has posted a little over 3,000 times since joining the Boards in 2000, yet you, having been on board only since 2006, have 4,154 posts. I was so intrigued I found that just since yesterday you responded to questions about Silversea and Crystal plus topics ranging from Greek ports, London hotels, Copenhagen hotels, Capri, all things Norwegian, and the Baltics. So I thought gee, if Terry had his own thread we would know immediately where to go, thus avoiding delay in searching through other posts that may or may not warrant a comment from you.

I'm not sure how to approach Cruise Critic (Host Dan?) to promote this idea but suggestions from other CC posters will be appreciated.

Terry from Ohio -- I know SonomaWine -- and had to laugh at your advice -- SonomaWine -- DUH -- the guy lives in wine country, has a vast cellar, and asked a question regarding logistics, not whether it was worth doing. But your response piqued my curiosity so I spent a little time on CC message boards. Terry, I think you should have your own thread on CC! To support my suggestion I note that Host Dan has posted a little over 3,000 times since joining the Boards in 2000, yet you, having been on board only since 2006, have 4,154 posts. I was so intrigued I found that just since yesterday you responded to questions about Silversea and Crystal plus topics ranging from Greek ports, London hotels, Copenhagen hotels, Capri, all things Norwegian, and the Baltics. So I thought gee, if Terry had his own thread we would know immediately where to go, thus avoiding delay in searching through other posts that may or may not warrant a comment from you. I'm not sure how to approach Cruise Critic (Host Dan?) to promote this idea but suggestions from other CC posters will be appreciated.

THANKS, dusababy, for noticing and commenting! BUT, I don't think that many would really care or be that interested in just what I'm doing or where going. We've only done three cruises. Kind of limited experience compared to what most others, especially "THE CHAMP", Keith, have done. For me, the "fun" is sharing info and answering questions, especially based on many previous land trips that we have done in many parts of Europe. It's not all been cruises. With work schedules and budget "realities", I don't cruise that much, compared to others.

The picture postings have been great fun. As Keith and I have talked, the visuals are very powerful and sometimes what people remember most. That's why this thing called television has done fairly well in our society. The old saying "A picture is worth a thousand words" incorporates the idea that a complex messages can be conveyed with just a single or a few still images. That saying summarizes that through visualization, it is possible to communicate large amounts of "data" or words quickly. Supposedly, this comes from a Chinese proverb attributed to Confucius. A Russian writer wrote "A picture shows me at a glance what it takes dozens of pages of a book to expound." French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte reportedly said: "A good sketch is better than a long speech".

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

The advice that you were given to check with Seabourn is a good one. Somtimes some of the port agents will not accept the wine if shipped to them. In some ports it is perfectly fine but I know of some cases where it was fine and is no longer fine. So, check with Seabourn, have them verify with the port agent that it is fine, and be sure that they provide you with the precise information for for the outside of the box so when it arrives to the port it is held and then brought over to the ship.

Keith

I too am a bit surprised that there is a corkage fee on SB. I look forward to meeting you on December 10th...

Host Dan

Hi Dan, We are also looking forward to meeting you. If memory serves me correct, don't we have a mutual friend Vivene that use to work for Silverseas?

Hi Dan, We are also looking forward to meeting you. If memory serves me correct, don't we have a mutual friend Vivene that use to work for Silverseas?

Yes we do! My friend and TA introduced us.. :)

Host Dan

Well, I'm happy you are on my sailing and also am looking forward to meeting you and hear about Sonoma from one who lives there.

• 1 month later...

I contacted Guest Services regarding shipping wine to the ship. Below is the repsonse:

You certainly may bring your own wine on board, for security reasons we do not divulge Port Agent information, therefore you cannot ship there.

Please note there is a corkage fee of $13.00 per bottle in the dining venues on board.

I find it interesting in two regards. First, I don't understand why the Port Agent information is kept confidential. On previous cruises with Silversea, they supply you the agent information in the cruise doucments. And, much to my suprise and contrary to the what others have experienced, there is indeed a corkage fee. I wonder how the came up with $13 per bottle? Just as unusual as SeaDream charging $11 per bottle.

I do not understand at all why they would charge a corkage fee for your own wine. I have never seen this before and have been on board with others who have brought their own wine. If anything you are saving them the price of the complimentary wine you are not drinking and should charge them.

I do not understand at all why they would charge a corkage fee for your own wine. I have never seen this before and have been on board with others who have brought their own wine. If anything you are saving them the price of the complimentary wine you are not drinking and should charge them.

I too have never seen a corkage fee charged.

Host Dan

On our recent Med cruise we boughta couple of very nice Bandols and brought them on board. They never mentioned a corkage charge and they were kind enough to serve it to us in the "special" crystal glasses they reserve for wines purchased from the wine list.What fun!

Even though we don't have the world "wine" in our name...we do collect and have a cellar, so we are looking forward to meeting you! I love the California wines and so does my husband altho his number one is the French bordeauxs. However, as our age advances, we have quit collecting and are into more "drinking". We don't want to leave any for our children! Looking forward to meeting you. You can't take too many cruises on Seabourn! Try it again in March!!

Nancy, we too are looking forward to meeting you and sharing some nice wine. As we can't ship a to the ship, we need to figure out another plan. I cringe at the thought of checking a case on our flight due to the unconditioned cargo hold, and hate the fact we can't carry it on. Does anyone have any thoughts? Perhaps I can ship a case to the hotel for them to hold for our arrival. It just seems so odd to me you can ship luggage, but not wine!

Nancy, we too are looking forward to meeting you and sharing some nice wine. As we can't ship a to the ship, we need to figure out another plan. I cringe at the thought of checking a case on our flight due to the unconditioned cargo hold, and hate the fact we can't carry it on. Does anyone have any thoughts? Perhaps I can ship a case to the hotel for them to hold for our arrival. It just seems so odd to me you can ship luggage, but not wine!
We are sympathetic since we live in a ridiculous state that is controlled by liquor distributor lobbyists and we can't ship wine to TN.

People get around it by having it wrapped in CA in a plain box, sometimes marked "dishes/fragile" etc. and UPS doesn't know what it is and it slides through People also used to ship to friends in Huntsville (Alabama is a little less controlled) and go pick it up. I have "heard" this is done! Anyway, I guess we could put a couple of good bottles in suitcase but if they broke...... Shipping to hotel sounds good....or to someone driving down who doesn't live too far away?

Just try living in Pennsylvania with it's Liquor Control Board, going into some stores with bars separating you and the wine. OK, they are i the tougher neighborhoods. We have to go to NJ or Delaware for good wines and cheaper liquor and then drive around for a while to be sure you don't get followed back into the state with some hootch in the trunk!

Last year I brought a few bottles of Moscato onboard the Legend in Rome. Enjoyed most of one and after the rogue wave in Casablanca tossed lots of fragile things on the floor, never got to finish it. OK, FF to March and the other bottle was nowhere to be found. No biggie, probably also lost in the wave upset. However, this year Maciek approaches me at the sail-away with a 'Guess what I have!". He took very good care of it ad I enjoyed it with no corkage fee. Now that's Seabourn service.

Just try living in Pennsylvania with it's Liquor Control Board, going into some stores with bars separating you and the wine. OK, they are i the tougher neighborhoods. We have to go to NJ or Delaware for good wines and cheaper liquor and then drive around for a while to be sure you don't get followed back into the state with some hootch in the trunk!

Last year I brought a few bottles of Moscato onboard the Legend in Rome. Enjoyed most of one and after the rogue wave in Casablanca tossed lots of fragile things on the floor, never got to finish it. OK, FF to March and the other bottle was nowhere to be found. No biggie, probably also lost in the wave upset. However, this year Maciek approaches me at the sail-away with a 'Guess what I have!". He took very good care of it ad I enjoyed it with no corkage fee. Now that's Seabourn service.

Jane, years ago I did live in Holiday Park outside Pittsburgh and remember it well My son also spent a few years in Bucks County on the Delaware and I remember the liquor stores well...also they wouldn't carry my groceries to the car, and I had never heard of such a thing and the rudest drivers I had ever met. No one would ever let you in, and on those dark unlit roads in Bucks County I was scared to death! However, many years ago and I was a lot younger. On the positive side, loved the scenery and the food and history and loved flyfishing the streams, just gorgeous country. I flew either to Allentown or Phlly and it seems like I always hit a snowstorm. Those are my memories! I did love tubing the Delaware, gorgeous summers!!l

That's a nice Seabourn story by the way...that should be in the Seabourn Herald!!

Archived