Mexico cruise (closed loop) with passport expires in 5 months

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Mexican Riviera
Includes: Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Loreto, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Pichilingue/La Paz, Puerto Vallarta, Topolobampo & Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:27 PM.
#1
California
217 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Hi,

Does passport needs to be valid for 6 months for a closed loop mexico cruise?

It seems mexico has no such requirement (google result), is it true? How about Princess or the port authority at San Pedro LA?

I want to renew the passport, but I worry not able to get passport soon enough as the cruise is approaching.

Thanks,
April
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess, always our favorite destination (17 cruises 203 days)
South Pacific & New Zealand 49 days
Europe 73 days
South America 14 days
North America 67 days
#2
San Diego, CA/Cabo San Lucas Mexico
14,035 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Mexico does actually have the requirement that a passport be valid six months or more if traveling by air or land, but for a cruise, no problem, you'll be fine. You can actually use a birth certificate on a closed loop cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
440 Days on the Sea and Counting
#3
Lynnwood, WA
741 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Make sure it's either an original or certified copy of your birth certificate and not just a photo copy.

Originally posted by CWcruisers
Mexico does actually have the requirement that a passport be valid six months or more if traveling by air or land, but for a cruise, no problem, you'll be fine. You can actually use a birth certificate on a closed loop cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Princess Elite Member 20 Cruises | Upcoming : 2018 - Princess 7 day Mexico | 2018 - Princess 10 day Mexico | 2019 - Princess 15 day Panama Canal
#4
1,143 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by CWcruisers
Mexico does actually have the requirement that a passport be valid six months or more if traveling by air or land, but for a cruise, no problem, you'll be fine. You can actually use a birth certificate on a closed loop cruise.


Actually Mexico only requires your passport be valid upon entry (US passport holders).

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...ry/mexico.html
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival:
Miracle 2017 Mex Riviera

DCL:
Wonder 2017 Caribbean

NCL:
Spirit 2010 Caribbean

Princess:
Ruby Princess 2017 Mex Riviera, Royal Princess 2016 Eastern Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Caribbean, Star Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2012 Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2010 Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2007 Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2006 Caribbean

RCCL:
Oasis 2018 Eastern Caribbean

Windstar:
Wind Surf 2000 Caribbean
#5
San Diego
7,368 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
You can use your passport so no worries!!
Renew it after the cruise! There is no 6 month requirement for cruising or for USA citizens to enter Mexico if they are not cruising.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
UP next:
Splendor March 24,2018-annual Mexican "honeymoon"
Coral Princess Panama Canal December 7,2018







#6
San Diego, CA/Cabo San Lucas Mexico
14,035 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by Steelers0854
Actually Mexico only requires your passport be valid upon entry (US passport holders).

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...ry/mexico.html
What the regulations say and what actually happens can be two different things. Depends on the mood of the immigration officer that day. I can only tell you what I've been told by those that experienced it. Best advice, just renew your passport, why wait.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
440 Days on the Sea and Counting
#7
1,143 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by CWcruisers
What the regulations say and what actually happens can be two different things. Depends on the mood of the immigration officer that day. I can only tell you what I've been told by those that experienced it. Best advice, just renew your passport, why wait.


The only time you interact with an immigration official is on the way back. So not sure where you would run into an issue with an immigration officer making any decision that would negatively impact you. The problem is upon checkin with the cruiseline, if you are going to a country that has a 6 month requirement they could deny you boarding. Since Mexico has no such requirement there is no issue.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival:
Miracle 2017 Mex Riviera

DCL:
Wonder 2017 Caribbean

NCL:
Spirit 2010 Caribbean

Princess:
Ruby Princess 2017 Mex Riviera, Royal Princess 2016 Eastern Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Caribbean, Star Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2012 Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2010 Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2007 Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2006 Caribbean

RCCL:
Oasis 2018 Eastern Caribbean

Windstar:
Wind Surf 2000 Caribbean
#8
San Diego, CA/Cabo San Lucas Mexico
14,035 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by Steelers0854
The only time you interact with an immigration official is on the way back. So not sure where you would run into an issue with an immigration officer making any decision that would negatively impact you. The problem is upon checkin with the cruiseline, if you are going to a country that has a 6 month requirement they could deny you boarding. Since Mexico has no such requirement there is no issue.
I'm not necessarily talking about check in with a cruise line. I am aware of people coming in on a land vacation that have been denied entry because their passport had less then six months remaining. I read the link provided and will pass it along. Perhaps the denial was due to the fact that you are issued a six month visa when coming in on land.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
440 Days on the Sea and Counting
#9
Washington
399 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
I recently renewed mine and I received the new one exactly two
weeks after I mailed it in. I received it BEFORE the certified return
receipt. However, I did pay for expedited, just in case.