Private DIY shore excursions vs Ship's shore excursions

dwsterrett

We always book private excursions and have always been back aboard the ship on time. We find that private guides are very aware of the ship’s schedule and if for some reason we are running late (which is rare) will discuss options with us. Since the group is quite small - usually 6-8 people - the excursions move along more quickly and we see more. There is no herding of a busload of people and waiting for latecomers to return to the bus. We have done private tours throughout Europe, South America, and the Caribbean. There have been times that we have also rented a car and explored on our own.

For us, private excursions work great! We research a bit online (TripAdvisor, Shore Excursion Group, Viator, etc) and read reviews before booking. As someone else mentioned the Roll Call on Cruise Critic is a good way to connect with like minded others.

Have a fantastic trip!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

... Kazu and I will no doubt agree to disagree on the topic of private tours arriving late (post all aboard time) at the ship. I have stood at the bottom of the gangway several times looking for late arriving pax who were on a private tour with absolutely no way to get a hold of them so, consequently, no ETA for their return. And yes, they were left, at times, because the captain could no longer afford to wait.

It (late returning pax on a private tour/they eventually made it back and did not miss the ship) occurred as recently as December last year in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico to a group of six individuals who had booked a private small boat tour to Las Caletas beach...

(y)(y)(y) IMO this says it all - thanks, CJ, for your usual great insights!!! For my money - and peace of mind - HAL shore excursions are the only way to go.

Two cents on private tours and than I will mind my own business: some are excellent with outstanding guides, well worth the money!

Kazu and I will no doubt agree to disagree on the topic of private tours arriving late (post all aboard time) at the ship. I have stood at the bottom of the gangway several times looking for late arriving pax who were on a private tour with absolutely no way to get a hold of them so, consequently, no ETA for their return. And yes, they were left, at times, because the captain could no longer afford to wait.

It (late returning pax on a private tour/they eventually made it back and did not miss the ship) occurred as recently as December last year in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico to a group of six individuals who had booked a private small boat tour to Las Caletas beach.

Private tours can work well and you can get your money's worth, depending on where you are, but you've got to have some means of communication with the ship, or better yet, with someone from that private tour company who is standing on the pier and who can relay pertinent info to the ship's crew at the gangway. When tours/pax are running late, it is imperative that the ship knows where the bus/van/boat is, and how long it will take them to get back to port. We had it happen in Livorno to two bus loads full of Chinese pax however, they had good comms, and made it back, albeit 45 min late.

Bolding is mine John. I totally agree with that. That is SO important.

I always have my cell as does my guide/driver and the port instructions for calling. The guide (usually licensed) all have connections too.

We always plan to be back at least an hour before all onboard and I haven't yet had to call the port authority ;)

I wear my watch and keep my eye on the time. I assume some responsibility on my tours, no matter how good the guide is ;). I don't like stress so I make sure we have our bases covered, back up cars, cell phones, etc.

We have never run to the ship but we have watched those that arrive late from our balcony.

Regarding one of the ports you will be visiting, a great tour in Cartagena is the 'City By Land and Sea'. We took this tour when we did a partial transit of the canal on the Coral Princess. It's a cruise around the harbor and then a bus tour of the city - great photo ops and different perspectives than if you just saw the city by land. I recommend it if HAL offers it.

We use both ship and private excursions. If we are in a port that is known to have safety issues, we definitely book with the ship. When we book private, it's usually just for the two of us. I don't organize for groups, although sometimes we might end up in a group with a particular tour operator.

The first time I booked a private tour it was because the tours on one island were 6-8 hours from the ship and there were only 2 activities on the tour that we were interested in. I contacted a private tour operator and asked to just to those 2 things, so we had a 4 hour tour with a guide in an SUV. We enjoyed conversing with our guide and she showed us the island and talked about her life there. My husband was really impressed with the private tour and said it was one of the best we had taken. After that, I have enjoyed finding things to do that match our specific preferences, as opposed to joining a more generic ship tour.

Enjoy your cruise and happy planning!

but you've got to have some means of communication with the ship, or better yet, with someone from that private tour company who is standing on the pier and who can relay pertinent info to the ship's crew at the gangway. When tours/pax are running late, it is imperative that the ship knows where the bus/van/boat is, and how long it will take them to get back to port.

Copper 10-8 - If I recall correctly, there is a phone number on our key cards. Is that the correct number to call to advise the ship if you’re having trouble getting back on time?

If the port is familiar to us, we prefer to DYI (completely, with a rental car or public transportation). Even if we haven't been to a particular port, I research the ease it would be to DYI and always choose that option. Otherwise I prefer a ship tour (after choosing very carefully).

I had a not so good experience with a private tour with a well respected tour company in Italy. But when he took us to his buddy's restaurant for lunch and the plates of unordered food started coming out before we even had a chance to order, it literally left a bad taste in our mouths. I could see the guide giving his buddy "looks" and shrugging his shoulders when some of us didn't play along and order huge amounts of food on top of what they had brought out already. At least with a HAL tour you know up front if lunch is included or not, and if it isn't, you can get it on your own at the place you choose. Small groups may be great, but if there's one or two who take it upon themselves to make all the decisions, it isn't a good option for us.

In Guatemala, definitely book a HAL excursion.

I have taken a land based vacation in Guatemala and once off the few highways, the roads are narrow and slow. The highways are also prone to massive backups.

Carlos Mijangos is probably in my top ten tour guides and was fantastic in Guatemala. He did a great job, fabulous lunch (very cheap and authentic) and showed us about. One of my planned visits was the children's school - Ninos con benedicion (hope I remembered that correctly). It was planned for near the end, after the major touring was done.

Our roll call had taken up a collection for the children's school there and when we arrived there, neither the children nor teacher knew. We toured the school (without it they would not have an education) and the children performed for us.

When I heard about the school earlier, I had asked Carlos and since he is a supporter, he gave me a list of the things they needed. So basic but so important. We removed the items off the ship discreetly in HAL bags and even roll call members who weren't on the tour helped so we would just look like "typical tourists".

Neither they nor the teacher knew we had brought supplies. The tears in the teacher's eyes, the look on the children's faces still moves me to this day. The children were afraid to take anything - we think they thought we would take it back, so thankfully, we had saved our pillow chocolates and when those were offered they were taken immediately and while the children munched, the teacher and I explained these bags (we had put them in huge wicker baskets) were for them. And, then as realization dawned on them that this was real, the look on their faces, would have brought anyone to tears.

They needed things that you and I take for granted every day (they had one big tube of toothpaste and 3 toothbrushes - when we left each child had a tooth brush and several replacements along with a multitude of school supplies, ink, pencil cases (thanks to 1of4), and I am so glad that we had the opportunity to help.

I would happily tour privately in Guatemala again. It was well done and well organized and everyone had a truly great experience and we came away much richer for it.

Besides the issue of not getting back to the ship on time, there is the question of refunds on privately

booked tours if the ship skips the port.

Last cruise to New Zealand, both Dunedin and Christchurch were skipped because of fog -- at least we were better off than the folks who'd gotten off in Milford Sound to stay overnight in Queenstown, then

spent two more days on whatever-is-available buses chasing the ship up the coast looking for clear

weather.

Besides the issue of not getting back to the ship on time, there is the question of refunds on privately

booked tours if the ship skips the port.

A good many private tours do not require payment in advance, although it's becoming a less common practice in Europe. However, I also find that most of the reputable and frequently used agencies have policies that specify you are not charged if the ship fails to dock, for any reason.

A good many private tours do not require payment in advance, although it's becoming a less common practice in Europe. However, I also find that most of the reputable and frequently used agencies have policies that specify you are not charged if the ship fails to dock, for any reason.

That has been my experience as well.

I was lucky enough to be on the Panama Canal cruise with Kazu and went on a number of her private tours. All were great, and all got back well before the ship left. She inspired me to host private tours of my own. If you research top ranked Tripadvisor tours, talk to the tour operator you have talked, and carry your cell, there usually are no problems. As was said before, most don't make you pay before, and of those that do, most all refund if the ship can't make it to port. That being said, in some places, there are very few tours on Tripadvisor or elsewhere. That's what I found on my South Pacific cruise this fall. Google can be your friend, and plan on doing lots of internet research. Ships tours don't always go where you want or stay as long at the place you like. I much prefer being in a group of 8- 10 to a bus of 40 if I can swing it. And thanks, Kazu, for opening my eyes! The crocodile tour was AMAZING and I have the coolest picture of a giant croc jumping up to eat the fish from the guide's hand. FYI, the ships tour the same day did not see any crocs- our boat saw at least 8!

We did miss our ship in St. Thomas years ago. Snorkeling at coki beach on our own, traffic very congested and hold ups coming back to the ship. Westerdam was pulling up her anchor when we got to the peir. It took years off our lives and we missed the last 3 or 4 days of our cruise. Never again will we gamble. You never know what can happen.

I was lucky enough to be on the Panama Canal cruise with Kazu and went on a number of her private tours. All were great, and all got back well before the ship left. She inspired me to host private tours of my own. If you research top ranked Tripadvisor tours, talk to the tour operator you have talked, and carry your cell, there usually are no problems. As was said before, most don't make you pay before, and of those that do, most all refund if the ship can't make it to port. That being said, in some places, there are very few tours on Tripadvisor or elsewhere. That's what I found on my South Pacific cruise this fall. Google can be your friend, and plan on doing lots of internet research. Ships tours don't always go where you want or stay as long at the place you like. I much prefer being in a group of 8- 10 to a bus of 40 if I can swing it. And thanks, Kazu, for opening my eyes! The crocodile tour was AMAZING and I have the coolest picture of a giant croc jumping up to eat the fish from the guide's hand. FYI, the ships tour the same day did not see any crocs- our boat saw at least 8!

Thank you for the kind words. :D

I am so glad you enjoyed what we did and you are branching out to do your own.

Well researched private tours take a bit of time and emails but well worth the effort. Good for you :)

We have also have had a bit of a challenge on our upcoming cruise since not a lot of ships go to the ports. But, I think we have succeeded well.

I would add that if HAL offered tours of longer length or more intricacy we would happily do them in smaller tour groups. And while HAL offers the smaller groups, which we paid a premium for on one cruise, we ended up on a big bus with more passengers than promised and what we paid for..

Go for the quality, it takes time but is SO worth it :) :D

Edited by kazu

We did miss our ship in St. Thomas years ago. Snorkeling at coki beach on our own, traffic very congested and hold ups coming back to the ship. Westerdam was pulling up her anchor when we got to the peir. It took years off our lives and we missed the last 3 or 4 days of our cruise. Never again will we gamble. You never know what can happen.

I take my DIY and private tours very seriously; I do realize there are risks involved and that this isn't the comfortable path for everyone. I've always got a plan in mind, should things go south -- fortunately, for me, they have not yet. I'm relatively young, well-traveled, and used to "going it alone" and managing my time wisely.

So for me, it's worth it. I couldn't be happy not being in charge of my own sightseeing -- it means too much to me.

I'll also just mention that there are always risks, no matter what we do. I've been on CC a long time and have read of people who get left behind on ship shore excursions too -- left because they didn't make it to the bus on time, left because the guide miscounted, left due to an injury sustained during the tour, left because the ship left early. Even with the ship's help getting you to the next point in your journey, it can be stressful.

If it ever happens that I get left behind, I'll try to look at it as an opportunity to show my resilience and practice my problem-solving. :cool: