Port of Puerto Vallarta

jamesnnb

When in Puerto Vallarta, has anyone taken the local bus into town from the Marina area -- instead of the shuttle or taxi? We usually take a taxi but that ride is feeling more and more like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride these days....:D

I have done it as a solo female and it was perfectly simple, the bus stop is right outside the port gate, they seem to run quite frequently (cost US$1, I think), perfectly safe (plenty of other women at bus stop and on the bus) and reasonably quick. Coming back is easy too, just get the bus marked to whatever the big shop is across the road from the port - is it Walmart? - I forget, it's one of those big american chains I never shop in.

We spend a month in Puerto Vallarta every year so are pretty familiar with transportation there.

Taking a bus is easy and quite cheap. You can catch the bus to Centro very easily and the return is via a bus that says it goes to Walmart. They are safe.

Don't take a taxi inside the port area. They are more expensive. Go out to the street to flag down a yellow taxi. Be sure & ask the price for downtown or wherever it is you want to go. The taxis aren't metered and it is usually $5 USD or 50 pesos (the taxi's don't seem to worry about the exchange rate) or it may be $12, depending on where you want to go. From the marina to Conchos Chinas where we stay it is $12; to Centro it's $5.

Enjoy. Puerto Vallarta is a nice place.

.... We usually take a taxi but that ride is feeling more and more like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride these days....:D

That gave me quite a laugh.

The city bus is safe and inexpensive transportation. I really think that the bus isn't any more relaxing than a taxi. We ride it all the time but not because the driver's are less crazy than the taxi drivers.

Enjoy!!

Look for a blue and white bus with Centro on the window just outside the gate on the main road by the stoplight. The fare is 6.50 pesos (just over 50 cents US, but they dont take coins and will give you change in pesos--They will take dollar bills) If the bus has Tunel on the window, avoid it and wait for another one. The buses also stop in front of the Soriano market about 1 block up the street toward town.

The bus will turn left off the main street at the beginning of the Malecon and will stop about 1/2 block up the street. You can get off there or stay on until the bus merges back into the main street and crosses the river into old town.

To come back, go a block or two away from the ocean until you see buses on the street and look for one with WalMart on the window. You can see the ship before you get to WalMart.

Yes very often, without any problems. For just 6,5 Pesos (the price might go up soon) you will have a great ride.

Just a reminder, the cruise terminal is NOT in the marina. The marina is a little more north, suitable for yachts.

I've been looking at the Google Map street views, and I found both bus stops near the port (Wal-Mart and Soriana). So my question is, depending on which location your ships docks, is one bus stop closer than the other? It appears to me (from the map) that Soriana is closer if your ship is docked at the southern most location. Let's hear from the experts on this. My first trip is coming up in December, and I'm taking the bus to the Malecon, and go exploring. Thanks, jonathan

We have gone on this ride of a life time :DBuses are like taxis only bigger.

I truly believe the drivers think that their horn actually will stop the veicle he he.I think brakes are optional equip.

Do the bus its a cheap thrill ride, beware most seats are metal.

quote=jamesnnb;34177523]When in Puerto Vallarta, has anyone taken the local bus into town from the Marina area -- instead of the shuttle or taxi? We usually take a taxi but that ride is feeling more and more like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride these days....:D

We have gone on this ride of a life time :DBuses are like taxis only bigger.

I truly believe the drivers think that their horn actually will stop the veicle he he.I think brakes are optional equip.

Do the bus its a cheap thrill ride, beware most seats are metal.

quote=jamesnnb;34177523]When in Puerto Vallarta, has anyone taken the local bus into town from the Marina area -- instead of the shuttle or taxi? We usually take a taxi but that ride is feeling more and more like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride these days....:D

Ha! I like the Mr.Toad's wild ride comparison.......yea like that but wilder......actually we use the city buses alot when we are down there and when you are actually on the bus they are very safe.....not so much when you are trying to cross the street sometimes :eek:

I've been looking at the Google Map street views, and I found both bus stops near the port (Wal-Mart and Soriana). So my question is, depending on which location your ships docks, is one bus stop closer than the other? It appears to me (from the map) that Soriana is closer if your ship is docked at the southern most location. Let's hear from the experts on this. My first trip is coming up in December, and I'm taking the bus to the Malecon, and go exploring. Thanks, jonathan

More or less in front of the terminal on your side- on the highway- there also is a busstop. The soriana one is a very short walk away.

Much depends which exit you can use at the terminal.

The walmart stop is on your way back.

More or less in front of the terminal on your side- on the highway- there also is a busstop. The soriana one is a very short walk away.

Much depends which exit you can use at the terminal.

The walmart stop is on your way back.

Nice to hear that a lot of cruisers are being adventourous and taking the bus rather than the taxi and thanks for the very descriptive post on how and where to get the bus to the Malecon, a place where it is so nice to walk around. When in PV, we always take the bus and enjoyed the ride. If you are lucky, you may even be entertained by a person who gets on the bus and will sing or play an instrument....very entertaining.

Ha! I like the Mr.Toad's wild ride comparison.......yea like that but wilder......actually we use the city buses alot when we are down there and when you are actually on the bus they are very safe.....not so much when you are trying to cross the street sometimes :eek:

Too funny! I think you are right - it is much safer in the bus than trying to cross those streets!:eek: Sometimes, I just say a prayer and cross!:D

The craziest transportation experience I've had in PV was my first time to PV in the 80's. I was on a cruise with my ex-husband and the taxi driver decided he couldn't tolerate all the traffic in front of him. He decided to drive down the sidewalk and then pop back into traffic!:eek::eek::eek: Thank goodness there were no pedestrians.

Any future cruises planned for you and MrQT? Next time you are visiting Disneyland we will have to meet for coffee or a drink. I'm about 20-25 minutes away from Mickey Mouseland.

is there not a boardwalk close to the cruise terminal where you can walk and go to a bistro and have a beer, and just enjoy without goin to town ?

No there is not really. Your best other option might be the Marina filled with yachts. You can walk around, have a beer etc., but it is by far not that interesting as old town and the Malecon.

To get to the marina take a cab for that short drive or a citybus in front of Walmart with the sign marina. Get off once the bus makes a left and walk towards the water. It is just a little too far to walk.

• 2 weeks later...
We spend a month in Puerto Vallarta every year so are pretty familiar with transportation there.

Enjoy. Puerto Vallarta is a nice place.

Hi Crzn-Life, we are spending a couple of weeks in PV in Nov. Tho we have visited quite a few times, we've never stayed and never driven there. We want to rent a car and drive to Ajijic. Would you recommend doing that for someone who has not driven in Mexico previously? would appreciate any insight and tips you can give us. If you would prefer to email us, please feel free: slswallows@yahoo.com.

Thanks so much for any help.

Hi Crzn-Life, we are spending a couple of weeks in PV in Nov. Tho we have visited quite a few times, we've never stayed and never driven there. We want to rent a car and drive to Ajijic. Would you recommend doing that for someone who has not driven in Mexico previously? would appreciate any insight and tips you can give us. If you would prefer to email us, please feel free: slswallows@yahoo.com.

Thanks so much for any help.

I wouldnot advise you to rent a car for that distance if you havenot driven in Mexico before. Also because you need to go through or pass Guadalajara which is a big and busy town.

Have a look at some scheduled buslines, they offer excellent 1st class service.

Archived