1st Time to St Kitts Port

sweets2323

Hi everyone,

I’m going on a 8 day cruise and St Kitts is one of the ports. But after watching you tube videos I’m not really sure if there is anything that interest me.

Did you enjoy this port?

The train on YouTube didn’t really seem that interesting. I’m still searching more ideas.

I really don’t want to take pictures with monkeys either and I don’t want to drive 30 minutes to get to a destination[emoji85]

Any suggestions would be good.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Palms Court Gardens isn't directly on a beach but has a big pool overlooking the water with a restaurant/bar and is VERY close to the cruise port terminal.

http://www.palmscourtgardens.com

Thank you. I will look it up as well as the Marriott. Someone listed it on another post I just read.

We were only in port for just over 4 hours on a Sunday morning in mid-November so just wandered around the town. The Prison is a delightful sight with its handwritten sign taped to the door, advising visitors not to bring in 'strong liqour' - it looks like a row of cottages! If you get 'banged up', this is probably the best prison to serve your time :-)). There is a park at Independence Square that has egrets wandering around; there is also a fountain that is a monument to the enslaved people - a very dignified memorial. Because it was Sunday morning, there were lots of people walking home after Church and all were happy to engage in a few words of pleasantries - lovely people!

Not spectacular, but quietly impressive, and a lovely island with some very friendly people - I'd go back in an instant! On my next visit, I will ensure that I applied more DEET to my arms & legs - I was the Sunday morning BBQ!

St Kitts is gorgeous....we just went there for the first time in November. We did an island tour which may not be your thing but you see some amazing sites. It reminded me of Hawaii.

Sailing towards St Kitts......large active volcano under the clouds and rainbow

IMG_0237-M.jpg

IMG_0318-L.jpg

IMG_0278-M.jpg

IMG_0281-M.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
We were only in port for just over 4 hours on a Sunday morning in mid-November so just wandered around the town. The Prison is a delightful sight with its handwritten sign taped to the door, advising visitors not to bring in 'strong liqour' - it looks like a row of cottages! If you get 'banged up', this is probably the best prison to serve your time :-)). There is a park at Independence Square that has egrets wandering around; there is also a fountain that is a monument to the enslaved people - a very dignified memorial. Because it was Sunday morning, there were lots of people walking home after Church and all were happy to engage in a few words of pleasantries - lovely people!

Not spectacular, but quietly impressive, and a lovely island with some very friendly people - I'd go back in an instant! On my next visit, I will ensure that I applied more DEET to my arms & legs - I was the Sunday morning BBQ!

How far of a walk is it to town and the prison from the port? Thanks for the DEET reminder, mosquitoes love me.

Hi everyone,

I’m going on a 8 day cruise and St Kitts is one of the ports. But after watching you tube videos I’m not really sure if there is anything that interest me.

Did you enjoy this port?

The train on YouTube didn’t really seem that interesting. I’m still searching more ideas.

I really don’t want to take pictures with monkeys either and I don’t want to drive 30 minutes to get to a destination[emoji85]

Any suggestions would be good.

Thank you

We like shopping in St. Kitts.

How far of a walk is it to town and the prison from the port? Thanks for the DEET reminder, mosquitoes love me.

The walk to the town and prison is about 600 metres - we were just 'following our nose' and pointing the camera at anything and everything, so we probably took the longest route possible! If you're staying within the town boundaries, even wandering aimlessly, it's probably1 hour maximum actual walking - the rest of the time is for photos (20 minutes for the egrets!) and talking to local people - and for me, that takes longer than the photography!

There is one charming old gentleman who was in the Independence Park, telling stories of his upbringing near the site of the slavery memorial - gentle but poignant - well worth listening.

Have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

Paying to use a hotel pool seems silly to me. Might as well just relax on the ship under the same sun, free food and drinks (especially if you have a drink package). Makes for a beautiful day while most people leave the ship and you have it all to yourself. :cool:

Paying to use a hotel pool seems silly to me. Might as well just relax on the ship under the same sun, free food and drinks (especially if you have a drink package). Makes for a beautiful day while most people leave the ship and you have it all to yourself. :cool:

We have been thinking the same thing!! But I would like to get off and walk around a bit near the ship

We have been thinking the same thing!! But I would like to get off and walk around a bit near the ship

Our family did the day pass at Marriott resort and loved every second. Best of beach and pool. Umbrellas, chairs and gorgeous grounds .

We did have a full day there.

It worked out better for us (due to the 6 people travelling) to rent a day room which was more economical.

This was our third time to St kitts and our favourite by far

I know what you're saying but Palms Court Gardens is an old plantation house, it's not a hotel, it only caters accommodation in a cottage for up to 4 people, they have a vintage rolls royce there and hand make jewellery, It's a beautiful relaxing place with gorgeous gardens. The owner came and spoke to us and we met some lovely people there, It was very quiet, I'd say 15 people there max. Much more beautiful and peaceful than the ship.

Plus the walk there goes past a monument and like I say on the way back the locals were out cooking on oil drums and drinking beer, we loved being off the ship

PS I am very frugal with money (single parent) and I spent over a hundred dollars that day, but it was worth it

It might be a 30 minute drive but Brimstone Hill fort is really cool. It was built by the British in the 18th century. The views are spectacular and you can see several other islands from up there.

We just took a cab up there so it was pretty easy. Probably about 2-3 hours total.