Carnival Liberty Review 29 July- 3August

trfccruiser

Had a 4 night cruise on CarnivalLiberty .We went to Orlando as a family to do the whole Disney/Universal thing, so I put a bid in for a cruise at the end arguing we would need the rest (we did!).Didn’t fancy the schlep to Miami, so we decided to give Carnival a try from Port Canaveral.

Embarkation was a breeze. We arrived at 11.30 and were onboard within 15 minutes. We were sent to two stations, one to check documents and take the photo the other to sort the onboard account. Cruise card was sent to cabins and placed in an envelope outside in the holder for the daily programme, so you kept your boarding pass.

We went straight to the buffet which is our family tradition. To be honest I was a little disappointed. The range and quality was not as good as similar rivals in my view. There were some speciality stations like a deli station (sub style sandwiches) and sushi (which was extra charge). Upstairs there was a BBQ buffet with pulled pork, ribs etc.

Just outside the buffet area on deck by the pool was a Guy Fieri (of TV fame) burger shack. I sampled this later in the cruise, but my son had one and said it was excellent, the “fries” in particular were really good

Overall, there probably was plenty of choice but you had to cover a lot of ground and like some ships the buffet didn’t have a great “flow” and there were logjams.

Had a look around the deck and took first advantage of the extensive but expensive drinks package a very lively atmosphere. A lot of people had the “Cheers” package and took full advantage though no real rowdy behaviour.

We had all bought the package but the week before the cruise our son’s girlfriend had it confirmed she had a medical issue that prevented her from drinking alcohol, so we needed to cancel hers. This led to a considerable saga. I’d bought it for everyone so got in touch with Carnival who said the only was to resolve it was to nominally put her in with my youngest daughter who had the soda package. However, as we had booked through an agent we would have to do it through them. I explained we were now in the US but cut no ice. I contacted my agent who was then told it was too late to change! Crazy. It was sorted out onboard (after 3 visits and 2 phone calls to guest services). However, that was not the end of the saga-more later!

We then had the obligatory lifeboat drill. We were shepherded to muster stations (no lifejackets) which were on deck next to the lifeboats. The area was horribly cramped ad hot. A bloke in front of me kept getting told off for reading his book but in a way I don’t blame him as the gaps between the various announcements was ridiculously long.

We then went to the sail away party on deck, this was seriously lively a a real party atmosphere lots of high energy dancing and loud music. Might not be to everyone’s taste but we all really enjoyed it.

We then had a nice relax on deck there is a tiered lounger area by the largest pool. We sailed out before Oasis of the Seas which was nearby.

Went for dinner, we had opted for open seating. First night it was busy, so we were given a buzzer but were seated before we had finished our first drink. There was a bar right outside of the restaurant at he base of the huge (and very deep) atrium which had a string duo playing pop music tunes every night.

I honestly thought the food in the MDR was excellent and of good quality , but some of my party who are more picky did struggle some nights.

First night I had Calamari, Flat Iron steak & chocolate melting pudding.

Like most US lines you have to order extra veg (here as side dishes) or it would be very meat heavy.

Every night there was a movie on deck (the tiered deck I mentioned earlier) with free bags of fresh popcorn and blankets available. We watched Pitch Perfect 3. Well, the rest of the family did my wife and I quit early.

Sea day next!

28926718477_98de92ae3c_c.jpg20180729_172538 Oasis of the Seas following us out

28926716677_1004ca0ff3_c.jpg20180730_111441 Large screen on deck

29993748028_f4cdf2cc87_c.jpg20180729_172627 Whaletail funnel I love the whaletail!

28926714907_33b7f9089e_c.jpg20180730_133826 Guy Fieri burger

Carnival Liberty Day 2-Sea day

Always nice to have a lie in on a sea day. Our cabin steward asked on the first day whether we wanted the room serviced once or twice and what time window. Obviously intended to lessen requests but nice to have a time choice, we opted for 11 every morning and we still got towel animals!

The previous evening our table waiter had “plugged” the Brunch available in the fixed dining restaurant available 9-1, times only apply on sea days. What a great idea, normally dining room breakfasts finish pretty early.

We had to wait a while for the food, but it was cooked to order and the quality was really good, miles better than the buffet (as you would expect). Very wide choice including steak and eggs if you wanted it. Waiter was friendly and funny, staff are definitely keen to interact to a more informal friendly level. Sometimes it works, sometimes not (in my view).

Went for a tour of the some of the public areas, really liked the look of the piano bar a bar with a piano in the middle of the room and a bar all the way round it in a circle and all the other tables and chairs looking like piano keys.

Had a Guy Fieri burger for lunch, which my son had raved about the previous day. I’m not a massive burger fan but the quality was really good I had a chilli burger and the fries were fantastic.

Had a chill by the pool with tiered decking. Drinks stewards were attentive to take your order, but drinks took a while to arrive.

Had evening meal excellent salmon dish for main. I’d read a review saying that the drinks stewards in the MDR were hard to find and not attentive. I found the opposite to be the case. They actively encouraged you to have another drink knowing you had a cheers package and plugged drinks of the day etc.

We all went to see Flick which was a tribute to songs from various films. A very high energy performance with some stunning special effects.

I thought this was very well performed and produced and was a very entertaining 45 minutes.

Maybe it’s me, but I always find at least 1 singer in a ships company seems to think volume equal quality .There was only one on this occasion ,all the others were pretty good a couple better than that.

28926688527_61b9a53aa5_c.jpg20180730_113103 Piano Bar

28926717727_bb3dfbc3a6_c.jpg20180730_101755 View from rear of fixed time MDR

28926686277_76dab96089_c.jpg20180730_114210 Main theatre

28926715587_6252dbee21_c.jpg20180730_115508 Towel Animal

Thank you! Sailing Liberty the first time next year. Your review and pics are so helpful! What cabin/deck were you in?

Thanks. we were on deck 7 balcony cabins near the aft lift ( 2 cabins) my son and girlfriend were on deck 9 balcony right near the buffet. The noise from the atrium was quite bad for them but they are heavy sleepers

Carnival Liberty Day 2-Sea day

. . . We all went to see Flick which was a tribute to songs from various films. A very high energy performance with some stunning special effects.

Just now reading this and hoping that show is still available to see on the 4-nt sailings. I should have asked, but didn't. (duh on me)

Just debarked today from the 3-nt sailing and had enjoyed the Flick show on previous Liberty cruise, so was quite disappointed at what was presented last night. America Rocks! If it turns out that's a new replacement, then it might explain the quality.

I reboard again this coming Sunday for the 4-nt itinerary, so perhaps I'll get to experience Flick again.

Maybe it’s me, but I always find at least 1 singer in a ships company seems to think volume equal quality .There was only one on this occasion ,all the others were pretty good a couple better than that.

Yep, we might be thinking about the same person. ;)

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Day 3- Nassau

The standout day. Had read quite a lot of reviews suggesting Nassau wasn’t the most interesting port. I’d also noticed that there were 3 other ships in so I knew Nassau itself would be busy.

I did some research and found a resort on a private island, Rose Island called Sandy Toes with excellent reviews. I pre-booked this tour direct with the company. This meant getting to Paradise Island to catch a boat. Paradise Island is connected to Nassau via bridge and is only a 5 minute drive.

Nassau has a slightly unusual taxi system; most taxis are minibuses and you often have a joint journey with another party and pay a per head figure. This happened to us and we shared with a group going to a nearby beach.

At the ferry terminal we found the Sandy Toes check-in. The boat journey lasted 30 minutes and was quite choppy on the way, but it was so worth it. Rose Island is like a picture postcard paradise.

Sandy Toes have created areas on the Island so there is a covered bar and eating area, deck chairs on the beach and hammocks in the shade, showers, toilet facilities etc.

However, it’s the beach and sea that make this place, it is simply stunning. We were in and out of the sea all day and the water was crystal clear. There is also various livestock on the Island including chickens and pigs who swim in the sea (the pigs not the chickens!)

Sandy Toes provide a buffet lunch with soft drinks included, the Jerk chicken was excellent.

Snorkelling was also offered which the children did a returnable deposit was the only “charge”.

Also took some photos and videos of the swimming pigs. Cute.

All too soon it was time to get back on the boat, leaving a taste of paradise behind. Honestly, it was just like how you would imagine an unspoilt tropical island to be. A real red-letter day.

Returned to the ferry terminal where more “taxis” (minibuses)were waiting for us, another shared journey. This “taxi” was a lot older than the earlier one and didn’t strike me as especially roadworthy but at least we knew we weren’t going far.

Back on board after mildly irritating the rest of the family by taking photos of the other ships in port:

Carnival Ecstasy, Disney Dream & Majesty of the Seas.We were “herded” into the boarding area, which unlike some ports had no facilities other than a water station for the ship. As I’d been taking photos I’d not noticed the queue and by the time we were in it , we couldn’t escape. It took 35 minutes to get back on board queuing in searing heat. Not impressed. I don’t do queuing at the best of times, I will usually escape and come back later.

We rewarded our patience with a cocktail on deck most of us opting for a Strawberry Daquiri including some zero proof ones.

It was at the point that it began to dawn us on all, how sunburnt we were. Normally, I receive considerable stick from the rest of the family as to how much and how often I slap the sun cream on. However, I think we were all undone by going in and out of the beautiful crystal-clear sea.

Went to MDR for a meal and we again had a buzzer but didn’t wait long. Had Leek &Potato Soup, lamb Shank and Crème Brulee which were all really good. I do like a nice Crème Brulee. In fact, I don’t mind a really average Creme Brulee. I just like Crème Brulee. Think that’s clear now!

Afterwards we went to the karaoke bar which I couldn’t stand for long. Off key singing is the equivalent of someone scratching their fingernails down a blackboard. So, we went to the piano bar , it’s a guy playing request songs and he is very versatile. Not all his versions worked but most did.

43814986302_fa3ac94cfd_c.jpg20180731_104234 Sandy Toes

42054766470_1bc269929c_c.jpg20180731_121417 Sandy Toes Beach

43863204071_fdd63d1fc2_c.jpg20180731_110421 Swimming pig

42054772800_eb2754d33c_c.jpg20180731_104622 Beautiful sea

Wow! That looks amazing! I'm always undecided on what to do in Nassau...have been there several times. This looks like a great option! Thanks for sharing this. Loving your review! :)

Thanks it was truly amazing a real red letter day.I'd read very mixed reviews about Nassau as a port but this was a fabulous trip.

Day 4- Freeport

Decided to have continental breakfast in cabin which arrived precisely half way through the half hour slot. Cereal and coffee were fine, toast was cold and chewy.

I’d thought about another beach day, there were a few advertised resort pass days with Hotels that looked good but quite expensive, but I’d spotted a review of a surf shack on a beach where you could use his facilities in return for buying drinks and snacks. Cleveland who owns the shack picked us up, he used to run a taxi company and still has the minibus.

The shack is on Lucayan Beach about a 20-minute drive from Freeport. The beach was beautiful not quite as stunning as Rose Island. There were very strong waves, but the sea was really warm.

The shack was quite rustic but in a lovely spot. We had quite a simple lunch, but the local fried fish was delicious.

It was a really nice day but not as cheap as I’d expected as we were charged for borrowing loungers which wasn’t mentioned, and the taxi fare was pricey too.

Cleveland is clearly a proud Bahamian and said he would take us past some Freeport sights on the way back. This included the power plant, the courthouse and the brewery. I think it’s fair to say that Freeport is not the most blessed.

I did overhear that others had been to lovely beaches too. There are quite few souvenir shops near the port and my daughters bought a couple of Bahamas tie-dye T-shirts that should come with their own sunglasses.

Had a drink on our balcony and had a nose at Grand Celebration docked next door to us.

ent to MDR which featured the Baked Alaska parade plus dancing waiters just as we arrived. The timing seemed wrong but that’s what you get for open seating!

I had Cannelloni as a starter which was excellent, Beef Tenderloin and Apple Pie which was delicious.

We then all went to America Rocks a “tribute” to America rock bands. Very high energy well staged and well sung. We were all issued with stars and stripes bandanas. Fortunately, I was in the loo when they came round.

My son and his girlfriend missed part of it due to their third trip to Guest Services. If you remember they had allowed her to cancel the drinks package due to her medical condition. However, all sorts of charges had appeared for alcoholic drinks on her account she had not touched a drop.

I can easily see how this arose in part. I’d read lots of reviews saying that Carnival did not allow you to buy a round of drinks even if all your party had the Cheers package. However, this was not rue and all bars and waiters would take multiple cards off you and assign drinks randomly, I would advise checking!

This issue was cleared up, but they insisted that some drinks were hers and “the signatures match, we’ve checked them”. My son’s girlfriend asked to see them, but they were strangely not available.

It was clear mistakes had been made as the were things like a Chocolatini on there which my son said, “I didn’t even know that was a drink, so how could I ask for it?”

They would not budge, and the amount outstanding was quite large. We are still out of pocket.

The only thing my son and his girlfriend could do was remove the auto gratuity which they didn’t like doing but they would not budge.

It forced me to check my account and I found an amount for $45 for bingo. I hate bingo! I have this raised with Carnival UK now as I couldn’t face the queues on board. The printout was quite useful though as was apparently buying bingo at the same time as I was buying a drink in the Piano bar!

This did take the shine off the last night a bit, but we did still really enjoy the cruise.This has since been resolved and a credit to my account is pending.

Disembarkation was a bit of a nightmare the next day. We opted for carry own luggage off and the first few decks seems to go fine then horrible queues formed and we were told wait a few minutes. When we were called we gave it a few minutes but it was carnage in the stairwell. Not the first time I’ve experienced this though.

28975982277_671107fa22_c.jpg20180801_105118 Lucayan Beach

43194556514_ab97542b4e_c.jpg20180801_165553 Grand Celebration