Port of Miami RC cruise

sneal326

We are cruising in January. 2 questions has customs checkpoint been eliminated & could a 9:45 flight be possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What ship are you going on? Could this be the new terminal that nobody has used yet? Too many unknowns. If your on Symphony or Allure, that port has not yet handled that class of ship.

What ship are you going on? Could this be the new terminal that nobody has used yet? Too many unknowns. If your on Symphony or Allure, that port has not yet handled that class of ship.

Yes Symphony - due to dock at 6:00

A 9:45 am flight is not "doubtful" - in fact, if you do self assist and get off in the first group it's HIGHLY likely you'll make your flight. However, any delays and you are at a much higher risk of missing your flight. Delays are not terribly common but can and do happen. There is certainly risk involved but it's more likely than not you would make your flight without issue.

We are cruising in January. 2 questions has customs checkpoint been eliminated & could a 9:45 flight be possible?

The need to fill out the Customs Declaration form may be eliminated.

But the need to show your proof of citizenship when returning will not.

Customs and Immigration are two distinct inspections, even when performed by the same individual from ICE.

Traffic will be fairly heavy on both the 836 or the 112 towards the airport with rush hour since it’s a week day.

Your flight will start boarding at 9:15 am which means you need to be at MIA way before then to get through security. Do you get TSA precheck? This will make a huge difference in the timing to get through security at MIA in the mornings.

If you are flying AA, that terminal is huge so it can take a while to get to your gate.

I travel frequently out of MIA and live very close to the port. Under your circumstances of getting off a cruise ship, I can tell you that I personally wouldn’t book that flight. I’ve had issues arise trying to get to the airport, longer lines than normal even with my TSA precheck and know the AA terminal extremely well and have made it to my gate with moments to spare in the mornings.

If you do it, take your own luggage and get off that ship asap.

Miami is new for Oasis class but typically self assist starts around 6:30 and is very efficient. Could realistically be at the airport by 7:00-7:15 if heading down around 6AM to join the self assist line.

If living in Brickell, wouldn't you probably head for the airport around the same time? I'd leave my condo at 7am or so. This is similar.

But under normal circumstances, you can be off Allure well before 7AM and to the airport with plenty of time to spare.

But as both you and others have previously said, no one has any idea what the normal circumstances for Oasis-class ships disembarking at their yet-to-be-completed new terminal at PortMiami will be. And the OP has to make their decision before any sample exists. So which answer is less incorrect: guessing they will make it based on those ships' disembarkation times at Port Everglades, or guessing that the likelihood for delays is higher that the likelihood the first guess is valid? The OP might as well just flip a coin...

But as both you and others have previously said, no one has any idea what the normal circumstances for Oasis-class ships disembarking at their yet-to-be-completed new terminal at PortMiami will be. And the OP has to make their decision before any sample exists. So which answer is less incorrect: guessing they will make it based on those ships' disembarkation times at Port Everglades, or guessing that the likelihood for delays is higher that the likelihood the first guess is valid? The OP might as well just flip a coin...

I disagree. A new terminal is MORE likely to flow smoother. The ship is scheduled to arrive at 6AM, which is normal, and I see no reason to think that it's at least 50% likely to be a disaster with disembarkation for self-assist passengers at a cruise port that handles countless passengers already, in a new terminal specially designed to handle this type of ship.

Have you ever done self-assist? I have done it on many ships including multiple Oasis-class ships and it's all pretty similar and consistent. You get out FAST.

The point is, under normal circumstances, you are much more likely than not to make the flight if you do self-assist in the first groups. However, as stated already, anything out of the ordinary and you run a higher than comfortable risk of missing the flight. The OP can do whatever they wish based on that ACCURATE information and assess their own risk tolerance.

OK but what this all comes down to is how it works out for the OP.

There are four possible results among the two choices:

1. Book the 9:45 AM flight and make it;

2. Book the 9:45 AM flight and miss it;

3. Book a later flight, but end up at the airport early enough to have made the 9:45 flight;

4. Book a later flight and not have arrived at the airport in time for any earlier flights.

Results 2 or 3 means the wrong decision was made, 1 or 4 the correct one.

And if you analyze the results list in total and conclude wrong decision 3 is more likely to occur than wrong decision 2, by all means take a shot at the 9:45 flight. Point now conceded.

OK but what this all comes down to is how it works out for the OP.

There are four possible results among the two choices:

1. Book the 9:45 AM flight and make it;

2. Book the 9:45 AM flight and miss it;

3. Book a later flight, but end up at the airport early enough to have made the 9:45 flight;

4. Book a later flight and not have arrived at the airport in time for any earlier flights.

Results 2 or 3 means the wrong decision was made, 1 or 4 the correct one.

And if you analyze the results list in total and conclude wrong decision 3 is more likely to occur than wrong decision 2, by all means take a shot at the 9:45 flight. Point now conceded.

You are correct. However, none of us have any clue as to WHY the OP wanted (or NEEDED??) to book a 9:45AM flight. The question was "is it possible?" Yes, it is possible, more likely than not to be without issue, but with a few caveats.

I will just say that MANY members on CC give ACCURATE advice, however as many have different experiences, the advice and experiences don’t always align. When giving advice or telling of experiences, I’m not sure that anyone can be 100% accurate because once again, our experiences change our advice. CC is an invaluable site because you do get to share and learn so much from the various members on here.

OP, as no one on here gets off a very large cruise ship on daily basis that is docked at a brand new terminal and goes to MIA again on a daily basis, it’s unfortunately not possible for anyone to give you 100% accurate advice.

Yes, you may make the 9:45 am flight and you may equally not make the 9:45 am flight. It is doable!! Personally I have had quite a few delayed disembarkations, early disembarkations and on time disembarkations over my 32 cruises. Personally I have had it take me 18 minutes to get to MIA and I have had it take me 40 minutes to get to MIA. I’ve gone there 4 times in the last couple of weeks, was there Monday and will be there Friday, then fly out again in 2 weeks and have a 8:45 am flight. My timing & experiences always varies to a degree, even when the flight is at the same time.

Book whichever flight you are comfortable with that won’t give you added stress at the end of your vacation. Just make sure you take your own bags off the ship and are in that first group disembarking. There is a good chance that you will not have any major issues, but just in case make sure you have a plan B since you are booking a flight before the suggested flight times from the cruise line.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise and happy planning!!

Edited by Host CJSKIDS

I will just say that MANY members on CC give ACCURATE advice, however as many have different experiences, the advice and experiences don’t always align. When giving advice or telling of experiences, I’m not sure that anyone can be 100% accurate because once again, our experiences change our advice. CC is an invaluable site because you do get to share and learn so much from the various members on here.

OP, as no one on here gets off a very large cruise ship on daily basis that is docked at a brand new terminal and goes to MIA again on a daily basis, it’s unfortunately not possible for anyone to give you 100% accurate advice.

Yes, you may make the 9:45 am flight and you may equally not make the 9:45 am flight. It is doable!! Personally I have had quite a few delayed disembarkations, early disembarkations and on time disembarkations over my 32 cruises. Personally I have had it take me 18 minutes to get to MIA and I have had it take me 40 minutes to get to MIA. I’ve gone there 4 times in the last couple of weeks, was there Monday and will be there Friday, then fly out again in 2 weeks and have a 8:45 am flight. My timing & experiences always varies to a degree, even when the flight is at the same time.

Book whichever flight you are comfortable with that won’t give you added stress at the end of your vacation. Just make sure you take your own bags off the ship and are in that first group disembarking. There is a good chance that you will not have any major issues, but just in case make sure you have a plan B since you are booking a flight before the suggested flight times from the cruise line.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise and happy planning!!

Thank you all for the advice. The 9:45 is a straight flight home without stops. All the other flights are later in the day or multiple stops. Killing a full day in Florida is not our favorite way to end the trip.