Gratuities to be included in RCI fares

Just posted on Facebook by a couple of TAs

Service charges to be included for Australia and New Zealand sailings.

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises have just unveiled a new "streamlined" fare structure, under which gratuities for stateroom attendants and dining room staff will be included in cruise prices.

The move means clients will pay a single inclusive cruise fare incorporating all main meals, accommodation, kids club, entertainment and activities. Passengers will continue to have the option to provide a discretional additional gratuity.

"Guests will see no change to the published price of cruises via any Royal Caribbean point of sale, including website, advertising and call centre pricing," the company said.

The change means free gratuities will no longer be available as one of the perks included in the Go Big, Go Better, Go Best promotion.

The all-inclusive fares apply to new bookings effective 12 December 2016 onwards, on sailings departing on or after 15 January 2017.

Be the end of the world, or so I read on every tipping thread on the main boards as they explain how it can't possibly work.

I hope someone can report back on what difference it makes to the fare on a few cruises.

I welcome the change, We always prepay our gratuities and actually think if everyone did we'd have lower fares not higher. The estimated 30% who do pay the gratuities subsidise those who don't. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I just purchased my RC cruise two days ago, it asked me if I wanted to incorporate gratuities into the fare. I chose yes, because if you choose no, they will still add the gratuities onto your daily tab and you'll simply have to pay it at the end. So, you CAN choose not to incorporate it into your upfront fare, but why would you? I booked a 14 day cruise and the gratuities was 400 something, I didn't think it horribly over the top or unjust. I'd rather it in the fare than pay as a bill at the end !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

it was posted else where that the aussies will be paying more once they convert their AUD to USD to pay their account so maybe RCI might have to do what princess does and change their currency to AUD to compete with the aussie ships or they might lose business

Payment for my cruise is due 14/12 with a deposit ($200) penality if cancelled before then. I will have 2 days to figure out if new price is better plus the $200 I would loose compared to the old price + grats. My bet they wont make that new price worth it for me.

Edited by Fluffy Tiger

I welcome the change, We always prepay our gratuities and actually think if everyone did we'd have lower fares not higher. The estimated 30% who do pay the gratuities subsidise those who don't. Just my opinion.

I agree, :D

it was posted else where that the aussies will be paying more once they convert their AUD to USD to pay their account so maybe RCI might have to do what princess does and change their currency to AUD to compete with the aussie ships or they might lose business

We can only hope.

As people won't have USD gratuities on their bill any more, resulting in a lower overall cost, if anything this would weaken the need for RCL to switch.

+1 from me!

My ta knew enough to quote me the price including prepaid gratuities since I had no idea what to expect with pricing. It's sure easier to budget for them prior to final payment than at the end of the trip.

I don't tip in Australia or New Zealand but I would never avoid doing so if it was customary such as on cruise ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It will be difficult to tell the effect on the overall cruise price as they vary from week to week anyway, depending on what "sale" is being promoted. That said, I welcome the "all inclusive" quote, which will presumably be the rate indicated at the start of a search on the RCI (and Celebrity) com.au web sites.

It will be difficult to tell the effect on the overall cruise price as they vary from week to week anyway, depending on what "sale" is being promoted. That said, I welcome the "all inclusive" quote, which will presumably be the rate indicated at the start of a search on the RCI (and Celebrity) com.au web sites.

I know they promised that it would be on website prices but the websites are notoriously bad for being consistent and working well, especially on issues like this. Time will tell but I am expecting some issues on the sites.

I think it's silly seeing all those people queuing at guest services on the last day to either add or remove gratuities. These guys get paid very little for the hard work they do for making your holiday enjoyable. Making them included brings RCI in line with the Aussie norm. We have always pre-paid our gratuities and give those particular staff a little extra and will continue to do so.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Forums mobile app

I think it's silly seeing all those people queuing at guest services on the last day to either add or remove gratuities. These guys get paid very little for the hard work they do for making your holiday enjoyable. Making them included brings RCI in line with the Aussie norm. We have always pre-paid our gratuities and give those particular staff a little extra and will continue to do so.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Forums mobile app

I agree, except that not all those people are sorting out the gratuities, many are paying their account (cash) or sorting out discrepancies with the account (dining or drinks, etc).

We are very pleased at this decision & had wondered just how long before this was introduced. It will actually make no difference for us, but we are happy for the crew who will now have some certainty.

Tipping is not part of our culture (Aus & NZ), and so it was not unexpected to have issues with this, with 'US ships' operating downunder. Prior to our 1st cruise the TA advised us of the tipping 'etiquette' for RC ships ie pre-pay or pay in cash on-board. We elected to pre-pay, and have done so on all 11 RC cruises. We also pay extra to those who made our cruise special.

It was disappointing to us that people, within their rights, removed or did not tip. Even worse were the people on social media encouraging others not to tip. Add in the TA's who went out of their way to tell people that they didn't 'need' to tip.

Anyway, all gone now.

In terms of what we will see re 'total' cruise pricing, I expect it will be difficult to actually see what impact the 'included' T&G's will have as pricing is very fluid, and it will likely not be that obvious. In any case we will continue to cruise with RC and likely pay extra cash tips to those who we consider deserve them.

Ironically we booked a cruise on Explorer for 2018 whilst on-board Legend OTS 2 weeks ago, and pre-paid our T&G's :)

Edited by mr walker