RFID protection

Noticed in some travel catalog travel items with RFID protection for passport and credit cards. I used to work for a cruise terminal and occasionally saw passengers with these plastic and other devices. Just educated myself on what RFID is and now can see my passport has the chip but DH does not (he applied one month earlier than me). So, I see several web sites selling products from RFID sleeves, wallets, etc. Just was wondering if the more experienced travelers have a certain favorite cloking darling product. Otherwise, I'll just pick something. I'm also interested in buy a secure, strong fanny pack. We are going to Alaska and Cozumel this fall/winter on cruises. Those are not high-risk areas, but still, protection is important these days with RFID scanners in the hands of no-gooders/criminals... Well, hope someone replies, but this is not a biggie as there are plenty of products out there. I was just hoping to get recommendationis.

Noticed in some travel catalog travel items with RFID protection for passport and credit cards. I used to work for a cruise terminal and occasionally saw passengers with these plastic and other devices. Just educated myself on what RFID is and now can see my passport has the chip but DH does not (he applied one month earlier than me). So' date=' I see several web sites selling products from RFID sleeves, wallets, etc. Just was wondering if the more experienced travelers have a certain favorite cloking darling product. Otherwise, I'll just pick something. I'm also interested in buy a secure, strong fanny pack. We are going to Alaska and Cozumel this fall/winter on cruises. Those are not high-risk areas, but still, protection is important these days with RFID scanners in the hands of no-gooders/criminals... Well, hope someone replies, but this is not a biggie as there are plenty of products out there. I was just hoping to get recommendationis.[/quote']

Seems the only ones saying you really need this protection are the companies that sell it.

This thought has occured to me. But also, in viewing some youtube video on RFID, it does seem protection is needed. According to these youtube videos, ebay sells scanners for only $8, so criminals can readily obtain a scanner. So, I've decided to purchase something, especially since my passport is clearly marked on the front cover and its last page (page 28) that the chip is in there... I have seen my son use a company ID card with a chip, and all he had to do was wave the wallet by the scanner w/o taking his id card out of his wallet. Soo, seems to me, any thief could do the same. Just watch the youtube demonstrate. The RFID products are not too expensive, so, I'm definately get DH a tri-fold wallet and me will get a passport neck holder/bag. Since I need to get a new fanny pack, I'll get one with safety features making it less easily to slice open, even though I do not worry about visiting Alasaka nor Cozumel. I have been to Cozumel and it was quite safe while I was there. I tend to ramble, g/g.

I had a csh point card cloned using RFID. It is known that was what it was as it is a card not used regularly and linked tio a savings account, so it is not a debit card and does not get swiped and had not been used in an ATM for more than 6 months. I was used to empty my acount in an area I was at the time, but a LONG way from home. Bank said they believe this is what happened.

I personally don't have any concerns on the new RFID technology. The information stored on the chip is exactly what's printed on the passport itself, which in my opinion, doesn't really give criminals much to work with. The chip is read-only and all the details on a person's movements are only stored in a government database.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about all the laptops that the government and corporations seem to be frequently losing containing banking information, social security numbers, and other sensitive data than what can be obtained off a passport.

We have them available in the luggage store where I work part time and to be honest with you, I never even show them to people unless they ask.

There is no personal information on the RFID.

We all carry cards with RIFD information every single day, grocery store membership cards, toll road transponders.

I suppose if you really believe the hype that someone will steal your information from you, an investment in a blocking device will give you some measure of comfort.

Yeah I saw that video too. That is when I began thinking this is a joke, like a frat brother thing... Imagine walking around with a duct tape wallet like this??? I dunno... Like the previous poster commented, seems only those companies selling these products are promoting them. I just wanted to know what other CC buddies think on this subject. At any rate, I'll be buying some sort of sleeve or slip cover bc I run better-safe than sorry mode. I also bought trip insurance too. LOL Just a personality thing, I guess.

If info on the chip is read-only, then I don't really see the big deal in someone stealing the info that's on a passport...but PLEASE correct me out there if I'm wrong.

Its not only passports, ATM cards as well.

There was an article in our paper today about how you can be "tracked" or compromised by anyone with the proper electronic "grabbing" stuff by your passport with this "technology"....

They're calling it "Little Brother" (as opposed to "Big Brother"). I don't like it! While they SAY the government won't track you, folks with the proper technology HAVE been able to track random people by the RFID chips! Beware!

There was an article in our paper today about how you can be "tracked" or compromised by anyone with the proper electronic "grabbing" stuff by your passport with this "technology"....

They're calling it "Little Brother" (as opposed to "Big Brother"). I don't like it! While they SAY the government won't track you, folks with the proper technology HAVE been able to track random people by the RFID chips! Beware!

I think the issue isn't as big as many people make it out to be. Many of my friends including myself have an iPhone and if you take a look on the app store, there are dozens of applications (Loopt, etc.) that allow you to track friends (or strangers) movements by GPS while they update what it is they are doing throughout the day (i.e. twitter). There's even an app called "Teen Tracker" that parents can use to track their children. Maybe it's generational, I'm not sure.

I think it's prudent to be concerned, but I don't think RFID technology is something that we should be worried about. If the government wanted to track someone I would guess that there are dozens of tools and methods currently at their disposal to do so.

"I think it's prudent to be concerned, but I don't think RFID technology is something that we should be worried about. If the government wanted to track someone I would guess that there are dozens of tools and methods currently at their disposal to do so."

The story in today's paper was about a guy who bought a scanner on E-bay then camped out in his parked car. He was able to pick up information from passerbys from 30 feet away. His purpose was to show how anyone can easily obtain this info.

New passports and driver's licenses now have the chip with your info on it. Pretty soon the government will be having us carry chips with all of our medical info on them.

There are still some companies, schools, etc that are stupidly using your SS number as your ID number. We can't stop the government from what they are doing, it's all the others we should be concerned about.

Pretty soon, if not already, when you walk into Walmart they will be able to scan all of your information you have on you, then check your credit cards and see what you bought last time for their "marketing" purposes. If you think it's harmless, great, I don't.

Noticed in some travel catalog travel items with RFID protection for passport and credit cards. I used to work for a cruise terminal and occasionally saw passengers with these plastic and other devices. Just educated myself on what RFID is and now can see my passport has the chip but DH does not (he applied one month earlier than me). So' date=' I see several web sites selling products from RFID sleeves, wallets, etc. Just was wondering if the more experienced travelers have a certain favorite cloking darling product. Otherwise, I'll just pick something. I'm also interested in buy a secure, strong fanny pack. We are going to Alaska and Cozumel this fall/winter on cruises. Those are not high-risk areas, but still, protection is important these days with RFID scanners in the hands of no-gooders/criminals... Well, hope someone replies, but this is not a biggie as there are plenty of products out there. I was just hoping to get recommendationis.[/quote']

I have 2 pac safebags, one is a fanny pack and the other us a shoulder bag. They have a website and Magellan's also sells them along with most any other travel item.

In fact here is a link to an item you might like http://www.magellans.com/store/Safety___Security___Document_OrganizersLB172?Args=&refchan=Search

• 2 weeks later...

You don't actually need to buy anything - wrap whatever you're concerned about in a layer or two of aluminum foil.

You don't actually need to buy anything - wrap whatever you're concerned about in a layer or two of aluminum foil.

I hear foil makes a good hat if you're concerned about anyone reading your mind! :D j/k!!!!

Seriously, if you want to give yourself something to think about, read Broken Window by Jeffrey Deaver. Fiction obviously, but gives you something to think about.

I think the issue isn't as big as many people make it out to be. Many of my friends including myself have an iPhone and if you take a look on the app store, there are dozens of applications (Loopt, etc.) that allow you to track friends (or strangers) movements by GPS while they update what it is they are doing throughout the day (i.e. twitter). There's even an app called "Teen Tracker" that parents can use to track their children. Maybe it's generational, I'm not sure.

I think it's prudent to be concerned, but I don't think RFID technology is something that we should be worried about. If the government wanted to track someone I would guess that there are dozens of tools and methods currently at their disposal to do so.

I work for a phone company and we actually sell this as a product so that people can watch where their employees are at all times. You would need to shut your phone off to not be tracked.

I am actually more worried about private industry tracking me with RFID and other stuff.

Archived