Tips for bringing pop onboard

SparklingBlonde

Hey all,

I just got off the Noordam a few weeks ago and forgot how much I loathe their cans of pop. I don't know what country their pop comes from but it is definitely not the recipe I am used to in the states. I'm going on the Westerdam soon and was wondering if anyone has brought pop onboard and what tips you have to do so. I hear about people bringing it onboard but I've never noticed anyone in line to get on with a case of pop. All tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Hey all,

I just got off the Noordam a few weeks ago and forgot how much I loathe their cans of pop. I don't know what country their pop comes from but it is definitely not the recipe I am used to in the states. I'm going on the Westerdam soon and was wondering if anyone has brought pop onboard and what tips you have to do so. I hear about people bringing it onboard but I've never noticed anyone in line to get on with a case of pop. All tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Put a room tag label (luggage label) on a case and it will make it to your room. It's very easy

Hey all,

I split my Mt Dew between suitcases so that no suitcase is too heavy and then put a few in my roll-on for consumption before luggage arrives.

Edited by Crew News

I prefer the 12oz. plastic bottles, so I put as many 8 packs as I can in a single rolling carry on--I think 3-4 fit well. I buy it in my embarkation port, so I only have to be able to roll it to the ship.

I replenish my supply in ports of call.

We don't take a lot of cans of pop aboard so we just put 12 cans into our checked luggage. When we have sailed from Ft. Lauderdale we just go out the night before the cruise and buy a 12 pack. However, the last cruise we had one can burst open in the suitcase. No idea how, but for here on out we will put the cans in plastic sacks. Had to wash out a bunch of shirts and pants, luckily nothing was damaged.

Have the store double bag some 8 or 12 packs and carry it on.

If you have one of the canvas (tan color) HAL tote bags, put a few packs in there. Those totes are pretty strong. :) I wouldn't do it with the new blue ones.

I normally bring on 2 liter bottles, so I do not have to drink a whole can.

Also, remember that you can bring more onboard at any port. We have done this at Key West for example (the first day out of Fort Lauderdale) to avoid having to carry more weight/items on the first day.

DaveOKC

Hey all,

The reason may be that in many countries they use real sugar instead of corn syrup as a sweetener.

DON

Thanks for the tips! I am a fan of the real sugar pop - that is fine with me, but even the Orange Fanta pop was different. It was light orange and had a very mild taste. It said it was Mandarin Orange flavored.

This time we are only doing a 7 day so one 12 pack will be more than enough. Thanks again! Keep the suggestions coming!

I've seen many posts about putting a luggage tag on a case and having it delivered to your cabin with the checked bags. I did that once and will never do it again. I checked a 12-pk of diet DP. Between the time I checked it and the time it reached my cabin, something sharp ripped the package and punctured a can. When I got the package, the box was sopping wet and the can was empty. Neither of my suitcases was wet. I have no idea whether my DP sprayed someone's luggage and ruined their clothes or electronics. I felt awful about the situation.

If I bring drinks onboard, I put them in a rolling bag and hand-carry them. If something happens, it's on me.

Whether bottles or cans, we just put them in a rollaboard and roll them on ourselves. Then we have some extra bag room on the way home for the stuff we buy. We also bring travel mugs so we can drink our soda out and about.

Hey all,

We always bring soda and bottled water on board! When in SD a few years ago, we bought a small folding ice chest that could be pulled along. we found this in SD in a drugstore. we have used it every cruise since.... we can pack the cooler in our luggage, and fill it after getting to port. Upon arriving to our cabin, we always tip the cabin steward and ask him to keep the ice chest filled with ice, and place the cooler in the bathtub. this has worked out beautifully for us! and we can have the sodas we like best... I use bottled water with a powdered flavor, hence the water!

Double bag it at a local store before you embark or bring a durable tote bag to pack it up and bring it through the carry-on. The only downside to this (assuming you bring a fair bit) is that you are stuck toting is around until you can get into your room.

I've yet to try to luggage route.

Remember the days before carry ons had wheels? We had a "trolley" with 2 wheels at that time, and now it easily carries 3 bungy corded 12 packs of my favorite no sugar added, cherry coke. I wheel it on; no problem with cans exploding or suitcase/clothing getting sprayed with explosive cans. Works beautifully for long cruises when it's hard to hand carry more than 2 cartons, plus other essential carry-ons.