Bar Harbore HAL excursions in Acadia National Park

ontheweb

I'm looking at the Lobster Bake in the park, but DW is not interested. She might be interested in the bike ride in the park. It seems to be a good way to see the park as it says the guide makes frequent stops .She thinks this sound better than riding a bus through the park. However, it says strenuous, and she wonders how strenuous it really is. BTW, she is the one who said when she saw Bar Harbor as a port that she wanted to visit Acadia National Park.

Has anyone done this bike ride? If so, would you recommend it? BTW, she is in her low 60s, and in reasonably good shape. She does long walks to keep in shape.

I will also post this in the New England/ Canadian forum.

I'm looking at the Lobster Bake in the park, but DW is not interested. She might be interested in the bike ride in the park. It seems to be a good way to see the park as it says the guide makes frequent stops .She thinks this sound better than riding a bus through the park. However, it says strenuous, and she wonders how strenuous it really is. BTW, she is the one who said when she saw Bar Harbor as a port that she wanted to visit Acadia National Park.

Has anyone done this bike ride? If so, would you recommend it? BTW, she is in her low 60s, and in reasonably good shape. She does long walks to keep in shape.

I will also post this in the New England/ Canadian forum.

We were on a cruise and went to Acadia this past October. Many years ago I did the bus tour. This time we hired a biologist to take us around for a private tour with walking around at many places within the park. Funny thing happened in that biologist had to go on a field study and got an off-duty park ranger as his replacement. We had a wonderful day. Just an option if the bike ride is too much for your wife.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

Acadia is hilly, large and has some beautiful coastline but can be windy and cold. There are plenty of places you want to see that would be very long bike rides. Take the bus if this is your first trip to Acadia....you will see and enjoy much more than biking. Have lunch at Jordan Pond, try the famous popovers. If bus isn't in a hurry you can walk around the whole pond there, and then ask the bus to take you up Cadillac Mt.. If it is fall....bring warm clothes and if it is summer at least a sweatshirt. (I lived in Maine for 37 yrs.) Enjoy the town of Bar Harbor and your entire cruise.

One time we booked HAL's tour which included the Lobster Bake. About a month before we were to leave, we got a notice from HAL that the Lobster lunch part of the tour had been cancelled. We still did the bus tour and loved it.

Another time we did Olie's Trolley -- booked it when we got there -- the 2 hour one -- and it was also great.

Acadia is hilly, large and has some beautiful coastline but can be windy and cold. There are plenty of places you want to see that would be very long bike rides. Take the bus if this is your first trip to Acadia....you will see and enjoy much more than biking. Have lunch at Jordan Pond, try the famous popovers. If bus isn't in a hurry you can walk around the whole pond there, and then ask the bus to take you up Cadillac Mt.. If it is fall....bring warm clothes and if it is summer at least a sweatshirt. (I lived in Maine for 37 yrs.) Enjoy the town of Bar Harbor and your entire cruise.

The views ffom C adillac mountain are truly beautifull. Looking down from there to the ship at anchor is outstandding. A view you cannot see from m all t hat many places.

We booked Ollie's Trolley, it was a very nice tour with several pleasant stops. I think it would be difficult to ride a bike through the park, unless you bike over hilly terrain all the time. Several of the roads were quite steep. If you want lobster, go to the West Street Café, look their menu up on line, it is right across the street from Ollie's Trolley. They had a lobster special that includes clam chowder, lobster and fries and warm blueberry pie. It was quite reasonable in September of 2016, $25.00 per person, it included a 1 to 1 & 1/4 pound lobster, for an additional $10.00, you could get a 2 lb. lobster. With all of the other food included, the smaller lobster was enough for us.

Thanks for all the replies.

DW is now looking at a hike for an excursion. The description says it is on the coast line, and looking at further details it seems to be in Acadia Park.

If it's the guided walking tour of the Rockefeller trails, it's very nice.

Thanks for all the replies.

DW is now looking at a hike for an excursion. The description says it is on the coast line, and looking at further details it seems to be in Acadia Park.

Is it the Ocean Walk? If so, it is very scenic and fairly easy to do. We've done it on our own, but through HAL you'll get a guide with interpretation. We like that hike so much we're repeating it this summer.