Free ferry in Bermuda

marianneyaya

I've seen the new free ferry schedule to St George, but wondering if there is also a free ferry to Hamilton?

Nope. You need to pick up ferry tokens in the cruise ship terminal or at the information booth at the ferry terminal $4.50 (US) per person each way.

The free ferry, Dockyard <> Hamilton, will be available in 2018, currently it is being built.

SBtS

NCLH is actually building two ferries, but I've never seen anything stating they're going to provide free service between Dockyard and Hamilton. They might, but I don't recall that being in the plans. If you can find evidence of that please correct me.

The primary purpose of the NCLH ferries is to provide service for St. George. It wouldn't surprise me if they provide free service between Hamilton and St. George when an NCLH ship is docked in one of those places.

NCLH is actually building two ferries, but I've never seen anything stating they're going to provide free service between Dockyard and Hamilton. They might, but I don't recall that being in the plans. If you can find evidence of that please correct me.

The primary purpose of the NCLH ferries is to provide service for St. George. It wouldn't surprise me if they provide free service between Hamilton and St. George when an NCLH ship is docked in one of those places.

St.George is underserved by the local ferry from the Dockyard. Remember there are at least 4800 passengers arriving on NCL's Breakaway! The free NCL ferry from the Dockyard to St. George is being paid for by NCL and is costing the government of Bermuda nothing. It is only for the use of NCL passengers who need to show their ship card to board it. Also, it is the quickest and most efficient way for NCL's passengers to get to and from St. George without competing with other guests visiting Bermuda who must use the local ferry or bus system to get to St.George.

MARAPRINCE

St.George is underserved by the local ferry from the Dockyard. Remember there are at least 4800 passengers arriving on NCL's Breakaway! The free NCL ferry from the Dockyard to St. George is being paid for by NCL and is costing the government of Bermuda nothing. It is only for the use of NCL passengers who need to show their ship card to board it. Also, it is the quickest and most efficient way for NCL's passengers to get to and from St. George without competing with other guests visiting Bermuda who must use the local ferry or bus system to get to St.George.

MARAPRINCE

Thank you for telling me what I already knew.

I've been posting about the NCLH ferry service on this board and the Bermuda Ports of Call board since it was first announced over a year ago. For example, this from May 12, 2016:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49966428&postcount=20

Listen to what Frank Del Rio says in the press conference. He said NCL is purchasing and sponsoring two 250 passenger catamarans to take passengers from Dockyard to St. George's. Later in the press conference Premier Dunkley says the same. There's no doubt from both FDR's and Dunkley's words that the primary purpose for building the new ferries is to carry passengers from Dockyard to St. George's.

On all the cruises I took in the past that docked in St. George's, I can't ever remember taking the ferry from there to Dockyard. There's little or no reason to do so. There are beaches close to St. George's. There's tremendous history associated with St. George's. There are restaurants in St. George's. There's shopping there too, although in the last few years many store have closed due to lack of tourist traffic. With new ship calls at St. George's presumably new stores will open.

While many improvements have been made to Dockyard over the years, by and large I don't think it's a very attractive destination for anyone on a luxury cruise ship. When you're paying top dollar to cruise on a 750 passenger luxury vessel, why would you go to Dockyard to be thrust into the crowds of 6,000 or more passengers that can be present with two ships in port?

You don't need two new ferries to accommodate 750 passengers on a ship docked in St. George's. You need the ferries to accommodate the 6,000 on ships berthed at Dockyard.

Edited by njhorseman

• 9 months later...

We are on the 10/28 Escape sailing...wondering if the free shuttle to St. George will still be running??? Our arrival on day 1 is approx. 5PM in the Dockyard...too late to go to St. George. But day 2 we are docked and day 3 we leave at 2:30 PM.

MARAPRINCE