Tauck vs. Vantage

agnesd

Hampton Inn versus Four Seasons. Apples and oranges. You need to do a lot more research if you are not aware of the extreme differences between a value experience and a luxury experience.

I'm a Vantage person, as you can see from my signature...Tauck is much more high end than Vantage, and pretty much anyone else. If you can afford their prices, you will not want for anything. My Mom went with Tauck and they took wonderful care of her and her friend. I haven't won the lottery yet, so I'm sticking with Vantage!! :D

I see from your posting history that you cruise a lot with Crystal, which is one of the luxury ocean cruise lines and is known for having really high quality cuisine. So I would recommend that you look at the high-end river cruise lines, which by general consensus would be Tauck and Uniworld, and I would add AmaWaterways because they have [according to the Berlitz guide to River Cruising in Europe, and my own experience] the best cuisine on the rivers. You should also read the sticky New to RIVER CRUISING??? at the top of this forum, especially the downloadable pdf:

http://pdf.cruisecritic.com/travel-guide/UltimateGuidetoRiverCruising.pdf?et_cid=1262487&et_rid=99616845

which discusses each cruise line and compares them to ocean cruise lines and hotels [this will give you a frame of reference].

PS - You posted in January that you were going on a Tauck river cruise in May. Did you go? We would love to hear about it here on the River Cruising forum!

I see from your posting history that you cruise a lot with Crystal, which is one of the luxury ocean cruise lines and is known for having really high quality cuisine. So I would recommend that you look at the high-end river cruise lines, which by general consensus would be Tauck and Uniworld, and I would add AmaWaterways because they have [according to the Berlitz guide to River Cruising in Europe, and my own experience] the best cuisine on the rivers. You should also read the sticky New to RIVER CRUISING??? at the top of this forum, especially the downloadable pdf:

http://pdf.cruisecritic.com/travel-guide/UltimateGuidetoRiverCruising.pdf?et_cid=1262487&et_rid=99616845

which discusses each cruise line and compares them to ocean cruise lines and hotels [this will give you a frame of reference].

PS - You posted in January that you were going on a Tauck river cruise in May. Did you go? We would love to hear about it here on the River Cruising forum!

Yes we did and it was beyond, beyond! But I have been receiving mail from Vantage and was curious. Tauck even handed us 40 euros as we left the bus for our "lunch on your own". We visited Monet's garden an hour before it opened to the public. Special treats on many occasions. As far as cabins go, we are in the always in the lowest cat since we just about can swing the fare. We would rather go on less trips and enjoy the luxury.

Yes we did and it was beyond, beyond! But I have been receiving mail from Vantage and was curious. Tauck even handed us 40 euros as we left the bus for our "lunch on your own". We visited Monet's garden an hour before it opened to the public. Special treats on many occasions. As far as cabins go, we are in the always in the lowest cat since we just about can swing the fare. We would rather go on less trips and enjoy the luxury.

I have had the same experience on Vantage, Agnes, where CD would hand us money to get lunch on our own....sort of like the kids lining up and getting lunch money for school! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hydrokitty,

I'm looking at a Vantage cruise in the spring. I see that there are no fridges in many of the cabins:

1. Are ice and beverage glasses readily available?

2. How much are sodas onboard

3. How much can you expect to pay each day for gratuities?

4. How good is the wifi?

5. Is the wifi free?

Thanks!

Hydrokitty,

I'm looking at a Vantage cruise in the spring. I see that there are no fridges in many of the cabins:

1. Are ice and beverage glasses readily available?

2. How much are sodas onboard

3. How much can you expect to pay each day for gratuities?

4. How good is the wifi?

5. Is the wifi free?

Thanks!

Hi Nancy...short on time today so I'll just answer in order

1. there are ice machines on at least one floor and the bar is always open. You will have at least 4 glasses in your room (2 bathroom and 2 drink size) and there is a 24 hour coffee station with quite a variety of hot drinks....hot chocolate is wonderful.

2. Don't know because I don't drink soda.

3. 9-11 EURO per person per day for crew (includes dining room and housekeeping); 3-6 E per person per day for cruise director and concierge;

1-2 E per person for local guides and drivers. On board gratuities will be automatically added to your account on the last day BUT you can change the amounts by notifying the front desk at any time up to the last night.

4. There is free wi-fi throughout the ship and it's pretty reliable. However, depending on where you are, it can also range from not so good to not at all!

Edited by Hydrokitty

There is no problem purchasing cans/bottles of soda in the towns and bringing them on board to keep in your cabin.

I never thought of that....but that's because I haven't had soda in 20 years, when I finally kicked my Pepsi addiction!! :D