Roth or Nuremberg or Nuremberg Rally Ground excursion?

shipsealand

On our river cruise, DW & I have choice of included excursion of Roth or Nuremberg or Nuremberg Rally Ground. To help us chose, would like to hear of experiences and recommendations. Also can we wait til board boat to select to hear more from the cruise director or is that too late and if so, when should we make our selection?

It's with Avalon River Cruises and will be on the Magnificent Europe trip.

Here's the details from their itinerary:

Roth–Nuremberg

This morning, relax on board, before docking in Roth. After lunch, join a GUIDED SIGHTSEEING of the city. This delightful Bavarian

town, with its half-timbered houses and market square, is also an industrial center for textile manufacturing. Take pictures of Schloss

Ratibor, an ancient hunting lodge built in 1535, with a most picturesque inner courtyard. Or you may prefer to choose a GUIDED

SIGHTSEEING TOUR of nearby Nuremberg. Although 90% of Nuremberg’s Old Town suffered extensive damage during WWII,

much of it has been restored to the glory it once knew as the unofficial capital of the Holy Roman Empire. Marvel at this thousandyear-

old city’s medieval fortifications, extraordinary gothic churches, and the Kaiserburg (Imperial Castle), or join a more specialized

NUREMBERG RALLY GROUNDS tour.

It's with Avalon River Cruises and will be on the Magnificent Europe trip.

Here's the details from their itinerary:

Roth–Nuremberg

This morning, relax on board, before docking in Roth. After lunch, join a GUIDED SIGHTSEEING of the city. This delightful Bavarian

town, with its half-timbered houses and market square, is also an industrial center for textile manufacturing. Take pictures of Schloss

Ratibor, an ancient hunting lodge built in 1535, with a most picturesque inner courtyard. Or you may prefer to choose a GUIDED

SIGHTSEEING TOUR of nearby Nuremberg. Although 90% of Nuremberg’s Old Town suffered extensive damage during WWII,

much of it has been restored to the glory it once knew as the unofficial capital of the Holy Roman Empire. Marvel at this thousandyear-

old city’s medieval fortifications, extraordinary gothic churches, and the Kaiserburg (Imperial Castle), or join a more specialized

NUREMBERG RALLY GROUNDS tour.

We just got our docs for AMA Christmas Markets on Danube and ours also lists Roth-Nuremburg. Maybe a new spot to dock?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is the first I've heard about a ship docking in Roth. It looks like it's about 4.2 km (2.6 miles) from the canal where the ship will be docked to the town center. The town looks nice, and the castle has good reviews on TripAdvisor. Not having seen Roth, it's a tough call. If you have real interest in WWII, then the rally grounds is probably a good choice (watch Leni Riefenstahl's

on YouTube before you go). Otherwise I'd go for Roth or Nuremberg. If you decide on the general Nuremberg tour, be sure and try some of the delicious Nuremberg sausages!

I've been to Nuremberg twice. The Nuremberg tour description don't give you much to go on. One tour I went on included the courtyard of the castle with views over the city, a visit to the rally ground and free time in the market square to get lunch, visit the church on the square and visit the market stalls. If you are into WWII history the rally grounds are interesting. You can stand where Hitler's addressed the crowds. If you have a chance, the nearby Documentation Center explains why Nuremberg was so important to the N a z i s along with a lot of WWII information. We spent about 3 hours there and only left then since we had to call catch a train. If you are not into WWII history then visit Nuremberg over Roth since Nuremberg had such a role in history. IMO the average person can't tell that the historic buildings are restored. Do try the sausages. An order includes three sausages that are little bigger than your pinkie finger.

My third trip to Nuremberg will be this Dec 6. One last thought, carry some small Euro change for using the toilets. You never know in Europe where you will need the coins.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did a Danube cruise with Avalon starting in Nuremberg. Our trip included a sightseeing tour in the morning and we chose the Rally Ground tour in the afternoon (don't remember what other choices there were for the afternoon). As others have said, if you're at all interested in WW II, the Rally Ground tour is very interesting. The Documentation Center museum with exhibits showing how Hitler came to power. It was one of the most interesting tours of our trip.

Shipsealand,

as previous posters have pointed out Roth is an unusual choice for an excursion or stop. I myself have not been there either. It looks very appealing, though, from what the website of Roth shows. Wikipedia coverage is understandably short: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roth,_Bavaria The town's website: http://www.stadt-roth.de/index.php?id=871

A hidden gem for foreign tourists in the Franken (Franconia) area of Bavaria I would say. Great of Avalon to put this on the itinerary. The landscape around there is appealing too.

By the way, the harbour of Roth is of some importance but I could not find anything about the textile industry. In fact, the big clothes department store closed down earlier this year. Not sure what Avalon means, perhaps something I have not been able to find.

But for history on an international scale Nuremberg is the place.

Enjoy your cruise.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Additional information

• Members

One of Avalon's key points for 2018 is that they are adding new towns/ports along some of the more popular rivers, so passengers can go on a cruise multiple times and do something different each time. Sounds like Ama is doing the same thing. As someone who just had her fourth stop in Rudesheim last month, I applaud the trend!

Hello Chris,

inevitably, I fear, you will end up once more in Rüdesheim! Not sure for how long the ferry runs in the evening but you could go over to Bingen or even better try and make your way to Eltville monastery (now on a couple of itineraries as an excursion) and sample some wine in more sophisticated surroundings...

But on the Main Danube Canal, I must say Roth is getting more and more appealing to me. I could not just leave it at writing "I do not know what Avalon mean with textiles", me being a service by profession and a researcher at heart, so I had a look round and was able to find the unusual museum of industry in Roth: http://www.fabrikmuseum-roth.de/de/leonische-waren Not available in English, so here is a quick explanation. This is textiles in the broadest sense meaning fine metal wires spun to be used in clothing for example for epaulettes (you know, the bits showing military rank) but also for other things like Christmas decoration. It is akin to thin beaten metal as is so typical of Nuremberg and its famous angel: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rauschgold explains that it used to be brass but nowadays it is aluminium foil.

Roth also has a lake nearby. Looks nice. You will probably dock in the industrial area of Roth at the canal.

On the plus side for Nuremberg: there is the German national museum of railway!

A difficult choice.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
wonky English

We were on a recent Avalon ship and had the same choices. We chose Roth. While it was a lovely day, it was not our (me, DH, and a friend) favorite. In retrospect I think we would have chosen the tour of Nuremberg, not the rally ground.

Enjoy your trip!

Don't waste your time with the Nuremberg Rally Ground. Nothing to see or do. Granted, it has WWII significance, and it was kind of creepy imagining Hitler standing there, but that's all there is. I would opt for the Nuremberg tour, it's much more interesting. And, my husband and I are history buffs!

If the tour of the Rally Ground is only a drive through the area, I'd skip it. We were able to tour the Documentation Center, and found it to be extremely insightful. We could have spent more time there if we didn't have to return to the ship.

Paul