Wine

Merly

I am trying to work out the most economical way to have wine in the speciality restaurants. We are D+ but prefer not to walk in the speciality restaurants with a full glass, (using our coupons) which we are happy to do in the main dining room. We are also in a party where we are the only D+.

So-we have purchased a dining package which entitles you to a 40% discount on a bottle of wine. What is the price range of wine in the speciality restaurants, and will the 18% gratuity be based on the full price or the discounted price?

Would we be better taking in a couple of bottles which we can bring on board and pay the $15 corkage fee? How much could we expect to pay to buy a bottle of wine in the US?

I appreciate that you can pay as much or as little as you want for a bottle of wine, we are not experts and are happy with cheap drinkable wine.

Hope this makes sense and any advice much appreciated.

Wine prices vary greatly, so when you ask how much can you expect to pay, there's no one answer. You can get wine at a US store for $3 and up to several hundred dollars. On the ship, I think the least expensive bottle is around $30.

On our last cruise 2 weeks ago the three other couples and us brought 3 bottles of champagne and two bottles of wine to dinner. Gave the bottles to the waiter as we sat down and he opened and poured and kept the champagne in a ice bucket, all the bottles were C&A gifts or came from a win at progressive trivia. Never a charge or question from where the bottles came from. We were on the Indy. Don't feel bad about taking a double Merlot to dinner from one of the bars, you spent a lot to get your vouchers..

Would we be better taking in a couple of bottles which we can bring on board and pay the $15 corkage fee? How much could we expect to pay to buy a bottle of wine in the US?

I appreciate that you can pay as much or as little as you want for a bottle of wine, we are not experts and are happy with cheap drinkable wine.

At a US liquor store, there are 750ml Cabernet Sauvignon at $8 to $15. Not being wine experts, this type is enough for us for occasional drinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am trying to work out the most economical way to have wine in the speciality restaurants. We are D+ but prefer not to walk in the speciality restaurants with a full glass, (using our coupons) which we are happy to do in the main dining room. We are also in a party where we are the only D+.

So-we have purchased a dining package which entitles you to a 40% discount on a bottle of wine. What is the price range of wine in the speciality restaurants, and will the 18% gratuity be based on the full price or the discounted price?

On any cruise lines that allow you to bring your own wine (whether it's one bottle or an unlimited amount), I suggest that you but what you want (and can carry aboard) from a decent wine shop with a broad selection like BevMo or Total Wine and then pay the onboard corkage fee to enjoy it with dinner. And, since the corkage fee is some fixed amount (e.g., $15-25 per bottle), a cruise would be a great opportunity to try some outstanding wines - perhaps a nice Gary Farrell or Martin Ray Chardonnay from Sonoma County or something else in the $50-100 retail arena. That cost plus the corkage fee will almost always be a better deal than what you could get for a 400% marked up bottle of mediocre-at-best wine purchased on the ship.

The only caveat is: if you're going through all the trouble to find/buy/cart your own wine (and then pay a cruise ship corkage fee), don't go buying cheap $20 wine.

At a US liquor store, there are 750ml Cabernet Sauvignon at $8 to $15. Not being wine experts, this type is enough for us for occasional drinking.

Thanks for qualifying that price range with the "not an expert" note. I'm no expert either but IMO a halfway decent bottle on "nothing special" Northern California cab would be more in the neighborhood of $25-50 retail. And my preference in the reds would be a Pinot Noir from Anderson Valley (Mendocino County) where a decent bottle would start at about $30.

Of course, wine (like spirits) is definitely an acquired taste. But the learning experience can be oh so wonderful!

OP: if you have some European favorites, you can google Total Wines or BevMo and check the US prices for those wines to give you a frame of reference. Then look to the California varietals for some possibly new and interesting experiences. BTW, if you like dry Rieslings, look at New York State wines from the Finger Lakes Region.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Thanks for qualifying that price range with the "not an expert" note. I'm no expert either but IMO a halfway decent bottle on "nothing special" Northern California cab would be more in the neighborhood of $25-50 retail. And my preference in the reds would be a Pinot Noir from Anderson Valley (Mendocino County) where a decent bottle would start at about $30.

Of course, wine (like spirits) is definitely an acquired taste. But the learning experience can be oh so wonderful!

OP: if you have some European favorites, you can google Total Wines or BevMo and check the US prices for those wines to give you a frame of reference. Then look to the California varietals for some possibly new and interesting experiences. BTW, if you like dry Rieslings, look at New York State wines from the Finger Lakes Region.

Good idea, thank you

The low end wines onboard are a pretty steep markup. For example Woodbridge White Zinfandel is about $7 a bottle in the Publix grocery next to Total Wine in Fort Lauderdale. Price varies onboard, but our last cruise it was $33 plus 18%. White and red low end have similar markups. So if you are sailing out of the US you might want to take your two allowed bottles onboard with you. Also, Dom Perignon was $145 plus $15 corkage from Total Wine and $235 plus 18% onboard. The D+ discount only drops that to $190 plus 18%.

The low end wines onboard are a pretty steep markup. For example Woodbridge White Zinfandel is about $7 a bottle in the Publix grocery next to Total Wine in Fort Lauderdale. Price varies onboard, but our last cruise it was $33 plus 18%. White and red low end have similar markups. So if you are sailing out of the US you might want to take your two allowed bottles onboard with you. Also, Dom Perignon was $145 plus $15 corkage from Total Wine and $235 plus 18% onboard. The D+ discount only drops that to $190 plus 18%.

Sadly, Woodbridge anything is pretty much the "bottom of the barrel" and "white" Zinfandel (including that KoolAid, Sutter Home) just adds insult to injury. I'd hate for the OP or any visitor from "across the pond" to come away from a cruise thinking that stuff in any way typifies California's noteworthy wines. Also worth mentioning is that we northern Californians are fiercely proud of our old vine estate Zins (http://top100.winespectator.com/article/zinfandel-riches/)

A story:

A few years back, professional endeavors found us spending quite some time in upstate NY. We often had to entertain for business and, when it came to wine, we were diplomatic and mixed our California locals (mostly from Sonoma and Mendo), with NY State wines (mostly German varietals) and international selections from those wine countries with whom we had professional relationships.

At one event, a "home growth" state legislator showed up a bit late and I quickly offered to pour him a glass. "Zinfandel, please" he uttered. So, I poured him some old vine Seghesio estate Zin. When I presented it, he said: "No, I want some 'Zinfandel'".

A sensitive conversation ensued and I am proud to report that, within a year of that event (and respectful of his continuing desire for "pink" wine, I had him, at least, onto Rosé of Pinot Noir (Angeline at larger events and Martin Ray estate at smaller dinners).

BTW, for those of you in NY or surrounding states that can receive shipped wines, check out Empire Wines (headquartered in Albany NY)- great selection and prices.

Depending on the ship (nothing in Royal is ever "fleet-wide" it seems), you will be able to use the 3 free drinks that are loaded on your sea pass in the specialty restaurants and the main dining room. It appears that you can on all Oasis class, and after that.....it varies.