Cruise ship evacuated off Greek island

kwas

"Cruise ship carrying 1,200 being evacuated off Greek island

ATHENS, Greece: A cruise ship carrying nearly 1,200 passengers and 400 crew was being evacuated off the Greek island of Santorini on Thursday, after issuing a distress signal, authorities said. The Greek-flagged "Sea Diamond" apparently had hit rocks and was listing near the island's main port, the Merchant Marine Ministry said. More than a dozen ships were involved in the evacuation effort. Four navy rescue helicopters, a military transport plane and four warships also were been sent to the area. Hundreds of people could be seen on the deck of the ship waiting to be rescued, witnesses told state-run NET television. Winds in the area were moderate. The Merchant Marine Ministry said 1,195 passengers and 391 crew members were on board. The "Sea Diamond" is operated by Louis Cruise Lines."

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/04/05/europe/EU-GEN-Greece-Cruise-Ship.php dot_h.gif

You might care to post your post on another board as it is downright rude to the O.P

Downright rude? Hmm, someone got up on the wrong side of the rock.

Nope, just a suggestion. If you took time to investigate Cruise Critic, you would find that there is a forum for "other cruise lines." That is the approporiate forum for this post!

Hmm... I do see "Other Cruise Lines"

Where were you when people were posting on the thread regarding the two that fell off of the Grand Princess?

Don't be such a stiff:rolleyes:

As far as I'm concerned, it's about cruising and it's nice that people post things from outside RCCL on here. Thanks for the info, OP.

Unlucky line - one caught fire off England last year...http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4979538.stm

Probably good idea to keep all RCCL posters in the loop. The media will portray this as happening to lots of ships, lots of lines etc. and bring in mishaps such as people falling off of lines that are mainstream in the US.

And if our Dubai poster cares to check, interested cruisers have also seen fit to post the same information on the Celebrity and Holland America boards and probably others I have not checked this morning. Matters of general interest such as this are not limited to just one cruise line - sorry:(

I think this is something of great interest for ALL of us cruisers, RCI or not, and thanks, OP, for posting it!

BTW, this type of thing happens once in a BLUE moon...no need to get anxious...and it's a good thing they are so close to the Santorini port! This is one place I've always wanted to go to! I'm sure everything will be fine.

From CNN's website:

"All the passengers are off the ship safely, and everything is OK," said Giorgos Stathopoulos, spokesman for Louis Cruise Lines, a Cyprus-based company that operates the 469-foot vessel. He said most of the passengers were from North America, with groups of U.S. college students on board.

Thanks for posting on this board, I would never have looked on other ships.

Saw some of the CNN information, there was a HS group from North Carolina on board and they talked to the mother of one of the boys. All seemed ok

Archived