QM2 Vibration on Deck 13?

soraya

I've just read a couple of reviews mentioning terrible vibration of Deck 13 of the QM2. The reviews state that the vibration was bad in the harbour as well as at sea and that people were moving cabins. They also said that Cunard were aware that there was an issue. I've just booked a club cabin on Deck 13 rather than 12 as I read that the shower cubicle has a door rather than the shower curtain.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Cabin 12024 was mentioned.

I've just read a couple of reviews mentioning terrible vibration of Deck 13 of the QM2. The reviews state that the vibration was bad in the harbour as well as at sea and that people were moving cabins. They also said that Cunard were aware that there was an issue. I've just booked a club cabin on Deck 13 rather than 12 as I read that the shower cubicle has a door rather than the shower curtain..

Structural harmonics are a well-understood engineering phenomenon, explained better by chengkp75 than I could do.

Posted August 17th, 2018, 03:01 AM

"Vibrations can be caused by a few things. One is the infamous "azipod shimmy", which is caused primarily when the ship is in following seas, and to keep a constant heading, the azipods that steer will "sweep" back and forth, port to starboard and back, as the following seas swing the stern one way or the other. This constant sweeping of the propellers causes the water flow into and out of the propellers to sweep across the flat hull above the pods, and the ship vibrates horizontally. More noticeable the further aft you go. This problem was so severe on the QM2 at sea trials, that they had to take the ship back into drydock and add a "skeg" or vertical portion of hull between the port and starboard azipods for more lateral stability."

"The other vibrations are because the ship is a large "sounding box" like a violin or guitar. Externally produced vibrations, like the blades of the propellers passing the hull at the top of their rotation, or periodic waves striking the ship, can cause the ship's hull to vibrate. Due to the complex nature of the hull structure, various areas will have different natural frequencies, and so will start to vibrate at different times when different frequencies are induced. So, combinations of propeller speed, wave period, wave direction relative to ship's course, and the like will vary the input vibrations, and consequently an area might vibrate in the morning and not in the evening, if the environmental conditions change. Similarly, one cabin may vibrate at one speed, in a given weather condition, but not another cabin down the passageway, but if the propeller speed changes by a few rpm's, the second cabin may vibrate while the first does not."

Having said that, it seems unlikely that a "terrible vibration" would manifest suddenly on the QM2, unless they'd just lost a propeller blade or other significant event. Particularly on the upper decks, where any such vibration would be felt immediately by the OOW in the navigation bridge, mere steps away. By altering the engine speed by a few RPM, they could correct any harmonic vibration in seconds.

I don't suppose you could provide a link to any such reviews? I haven't seen any here on CruiseCritic.

Tell you what, I'm joining next week on Deck 12, forward. I'll report back if I am shaken out of my bunk.

Also, upgrading to a Club cabin (at considerable expense) in order to get a glass door instead of a shower curtain??

That's like upgrading to a Queen's Grill suite in order to get flexible dining hours.

I sure wish I could afford such a bespoke lifestyle!

Edited by VintageCCG
To make an attributed quote more distinct.

Here's a link to one such QM2 review I found from April. It discusses cabin 13024 which is probably what the OP meant (rather than cabin 12024) since the subject of this thread mentions deck 13. I have no personal experience to offer on this subject--just providing this link to possibly aid in further discussion.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=619392

Quoting the pertinent section from this review:

"Further to the stateroom there is significant vibration most of the time which is apparent to both port and starboard. Theses [sic] staterooms were a recent addition made during the last refurbishment. Cunard of course are aware of this and I'm told by a guest services executive that they are looking at ways of factoring it into the brochure stateroom descriptions. Too little to late for us, Cunard got our money, my wife got no decent sleep. As a matter of interest the vibration has nothing to do with sea conditions as it was present when the ship was on its mooring lines."

Edited by bluemarble

Here's a link to one such QM2 review I found from April. It discusses cabin 13024 which is probably what the OP meant (rather than cabin 12024) since the subject of this thread mentions deck 13. I have no personal experience to offer on this subject--just providing this link to possibly aid in further discussion.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=619392

Quoting the pertinent section from this review:

"Further to the stateroom there is significant vibration most of the time which is apparent to both port and starboard. Theses [sic] staterooms were a recent addition made during the last refurbishment. Cunard of course are aware of this and I'm told by a guest services executive that they are looking at ways of factoring it into the brochure stateroom descriptions. Too little to late for us, Cunard got our money, my wife got no decent sleep. As a matter of interest the vibration has nothing to do with sea conditions as it was present when the ship was on its mooring lines."

Thanks for that John, it was very helpful to see the cited reference.

Clearly this was not a "whole ship" vibration the beleaguered passengers experienced; if not connected to the propulsion or the ship's motion then it sounds more like a rattle in the paneling or duct-work or fittings or something ... presumably linked to the HVAC system, since what else would be running while the ship is alongside?

Or maybe it was the shower door rattling (sorry, that was a cheap shot from us mere shower-curtain hoi polloi).

Annoying all the same, but often it's nothing a square of wadded-up paper won't resolve, so long as one has access to the source.

Judging from the rest of Brian72813's review, it sounds like he arrived for his Cunard experience with high expectations, which were clearly not met.

I am eagerly anticipating MY first Cunard experience next week.

Luckily after reviewing the CruiseCritic archives these past few weeks, I come forearmed with the sure knowledge that I will be inundated and besieged by under-dressed, poorly-fed, over-charged, prematurely-embarking disgruntled passengers surreptitiously sneaking glasses of wine from stateroom to dining room.

Anything above that low threshold should leave me delighted.

Cheers!

PJ

[/b]

Also' date=' upgrading to a Club cabin (at considerable expense) in order to get a glass door instead of a shower curtain??

That's like upgrading to a Queen's Grill suite in order to get flexible dining hours.

I sure wish I could afford such a bespoke lifestyle![/color']

I interpret the OP's comment differently. " I've just booked a club cabin on Deck 13 rather than 12 as I read that the shower cubicle has a door rather than the shower curtain." I get the impression that a club cabin was going to be booked and Deck 13 was chosen over Deck 12 for the reason given. The A2s are the same price whether on Deck 12 or 13.

But I digress. In October 2016 we had cabin 13035 which is on the starboard side. We noticed no vibration at all. At that time the Deck 13 cabins had been in service for only a few weeks so the vibration issues must have developed since then.

I interpret the OP's comment differently. " I've just booked a club cabin on Deck 13 rather than 12 as I read that the shower cubicle has a door rather than the shower curtain." I get the impression that a club cabin was going to be booked and Deck 13 was chosen over Deck 12 for the reason given. The A2s are the same price whether on Deck 12 or 13.

Fair enough, that sounds plausible.

Hi Soraya,

We were booked and sailed last July on Deck 13 and were in 13002. Yes the cabin were new from the refit and the Bathrooms did have the Glass Door instead of the Curtain. We were very happy with the assigned cabin thru guarantee status and enjoyed the experience. Yes we did first have reservations about being up there but had no regrets.

We did not feel any vibration in that cabin for the 6 days we were in it.

We did also sail on Deck 12 in Cabin 12052 in the past and had no vibrations.

We are assigned to Deck 12 once again on our upcoming sailing and look forward to the experience of Club Britannia.

Hope you have a pleasant and smooth sailing during your voyage on the QM2.....

Thanks for all the replies! I was indeed booking a Club Balcony cabin and chose deck 13 over 12 for the shower! Interestingly, not a big price difference on our sailing between Club and standard balconies.

Hopefully, the vibration issues will be be absent on our cruise. Enjoyed reading the v technical thread on vibration & harmonics!

We actually have booked 13035 so really good to hear from someone who has stayed in it.

VintageCCG - we did our first Cunard cruise this year - 4 day cruise on the QV from Southampton to Hamburg and really enjoyed it. Hope your 1st Cunard cruise is a good one and I look forward to reading your review which I'm sure will be in your own inimitable style:cool:

• 5 months later...

We have just got off QM2 today and were on Deck 13, Cabin 13012.  That is forward on the new top-row of cabins that were added in the last re-fit.   The vibration is DEFINITELY an issue to consider.  Had no idea until we were on board.  It is not constant, but it IS frequent and it IS quite severe at times.  So bad that the TV rattled and we had to stuff a rolled-up towel behind it.  The bed vibrates like one of those therapy beds and it drums through your entire body.  It woke me up on several occasions and when it was present before going to bed, you could not get to sleep.  You can feel it in your chest and it made us both feel sick. The floor by the sofa also shakes.   It was obviously an issue for previous guests as tape had been stuck over the corners of the full length mirror which housekeeping had tried to remove but failed.   And Deck 13 are all Britannia Club cabins, so more expensive.  I am shocked to read this Cunard have been aware for 2 years.  They have clearly done nothing about it.  I wish I had read this post before we set sail, we would have asked to change, but once on board the ship was full so no chance.  The cabin itself is nice, yes there is a double shower with glass door (where bath would normally be) and marble tops to the basin and bedside units.  We found storage space to be an issue as they have changed the wardrobe layout in these new bolt-on cabins on the new top-deck, there are no shelves and the safe is much lower.  Personally,  I would  never book one of these again as the vibration was present at some point every day and every night lasted for quite some time, hours in some cases.  It was there in  both calm and choppy waters, and also in the port when stationary.  We will be writing to Cunard for sure. 

Edited by COOLIDEAS
Missed out some information.
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Inside deck13 cabin on a December Round trip in 2016. Zero remembrance of any vibrations. But in as much as the entire 13th cabin deck was basically welded onto the open deck area maybe the rivets are coming loose. Hope they tighten it up before my full world in 2023 in the very same cabin. It would be bad form to have Cunard lose an entire deck of cabins to a rough sea.

• Like 1

"Has anyone been in 13030?  It is right next to the sun deck and I’m quite worried about the vibration. My other option is staying in a sheltered balcony as the ship is sold out…"

As per the previous discussion two years ago, there is no rational reason why the Deck 13 staterooms would be vibrating other than potentially some minor rattling from ill-fitting panelling or an HVAC concern, or something of that nature. Maybe even some wind-generated humming when underway, but that's not what was described.

There is literally no ship-related action that would cause the bed and the TV to vibrate in the manner described, especially in calm weather and when stationary secured alongside. It just simply doesn't make sense.

And of course rivets can't "come loose" when the structures are welded ... there would be no rivets.

Most responses seem to indicate that there was no such vibration, so I wouldn't worry about it.

8 hours ago, VintageCCG said:

"Has anyone been in 13030?  It is right next to the sun deck and I’m quite worried about the vibration. My other option is staying in a sheltered balcony as the ship is sold out…"

As per the previous discussion two years ago, there is no rational reason why the Deck 13 staterooms would be vibrating other than potentially some minor rattling from ill-fitting panelling or an HVAC concern, or something of that nature. Maybe even some wind-generated humming when underway, but that's not what was described.

There is literally no ship-related action that would cause the bed and the TV to vibrate in the manner described, especially in calm weather and when stationary secured alongside. It just simply doesn't make sense.

And of course rivets can't "come loose" when the structures are welded ... there would be no rivets.

Most responses seem to indicate that there was no such vibration, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Thats ridiculous VintageCCG.... anyone that owns any type of vehicle knows there are various quality levels....on any ship the least issue was the vibrations felt from the paneling onboard.  As Carnivore owns Cunard I would imagine they went with the cheapest shipyard....

Also there is the fact that the ships original engineering designs accounts for issues  such as vibration & should of been remedied already....these cabins were added well after the ships innaugural season.

I wouldnt sail in one of the discussed cabins ...ever

In 2017 we sailed after the refit on the QM2 in Cabin 13002 on the Portside. It is located not too far from the Bridge wing.

We never detected any problems with the noise level during any part of the cruise. I know the cabin mentioned is down the hallway from the one we experienced.

Spoken to others in the corridor and we all enjoyed the new addition recently added.

The only down fall is that being in the Club Britannia Cat we had a long walk to the restaurant on Elevator D 2 Floor. It was convenient for the Show Room and the Sun Deck for leaving and entering Ports. 

So no issues.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 10:54 AM, RICHARD@SEA said:

Thats ridiculous VintageCCG.... anyone that owns any type of vehicle knows there are various quality levels....on any ship the least issue was the vibrations felt from the paneling onboard.  As Carnivore owns Cunard I would imagine they went with the cheapest shipyard....

Also there is the fact that the ships original engineering designs accounts for issues  such as vibration & should of been remedied already....these cabins were added well after the ships innaugural season.

Perhaps sir before commenting and seeking to contradict others, you might first consider whether you actually have anything of value to add to the discussion.

If you "imagine they went with the cheapest shipyard" then you imagine wrongly. Construction was by Chantiers de l'Atlantique (Saint-Nazaire) and the modifications were done by Blohm & Voss ... both are highly reputable yards.

I have spent four decades in the marine industry (at sea and ashore) and have overseen numerous shipbuilding projects and I can assure you that - while vibrations can indeed occur - the causes are traceable and correctable and the description cited here simply makes no sense. The comment describes the entire cabin shaking both underway and while secured alongside which suggests at worst a minor vibration in panelling or HVAC which would have been corrected easily and would not have shaken the furniture as described. Any possible causes of the event described simply don't withstand any scrutiny in this context.
Numerous other Deck 13 passengers have refuted any suggestion that there's any problem. I tend to believe them.
Personally I made a double Atlantic crossing immediately below on Deck 12 and noted an utter absence of whole-ship vibrations in that vicinity ... trust me I know the difference.
As to whether you deign to book one of those particular cabins or not (ever!), well I'm sure that is quite immaterial. Feel free to not book one, notwithstanding the absence of evidence for your rationale. I'm quite certain that Cunard will survive your decision.
Finally, the words are "should *have*", not "should of". Sheesh, man ... grammar matters. 

• Like 2

On 12/4/2021 at 10:54 AM, RICHARD@SEA said:

Where, and on which vessel(s), have you been "@SEA"?

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Where, and on which vessel(s), have you been "@SEA"?

Fulltime service as Navigation Officer / Commanding Officer aboard more than a dozen Canadian Coast Guard ships and a commercial cargo ship, and shorter stints aboard a couple of dozen more, of many descriptions. 
Also been involved with and headed up numerous shipbuilding projects.
Thus I know a wee bit about vessel vibration, and the description of this particular event seems highly suspect in terms of potential causes and effects.

Not saying the person experienced nothing at all, but there simply aren't a lot of plausible circumstances that would lead to the circumstances they described (which would require effectively at least a moderately high-amplitude vibration of the entire upper deck ... even while the ship is secured alongside!)

Their words: "It is not constant, but it IS frequent and it IS quite severe at times.  So bad that the TV rattled and we had to stuff a rolled-up towel behind it.  The bed vibrates like one of those therapy beds and it drums through your entire body.  It woke me up on several occasions and when it was present before going to bed, you could not get to sleep.  You can feel it in your chest and it made us both feel sick. The floor by the sofa also shakes.   ...  It was there in  both calm and choppy waters, and also in the port when stationary."

Combine these dubious accusations with comments saying that other occupants encountered no such vibrations in the same location, coupled with the OP's general tone of dissatisfaction with other unrelated aspects of their voyage, coupled with my own personal observations one deck below for two weeks, and I'm gonna conclude that it never happened ... or at least nothing close to what they described.

But you know ... please feel free to identify what could possibly cause such vibrations both underway in various sea states and while alongside.
Something that Cunard would be aware of (due to the inevitable litany of complaints affecting some of the priciest accommodations on board, short of the Grills) and would be utterly unwilling or incapable of mitigating.

Structural vibrations are typically due to resonance with the propulsion; due to slamming while proceeding at speed through heavy seas; due to icebreaking; or due to somebody operating a chipping hammer on the adjacent deck or bulkheads.
Minor rattling of panels might be due to any of those circumstances or maybe due to an HVAC ducting issue, but those are both easily identified and remedied.
Since the Deck 13 accommodations are open to the elements I considered the potential effects of high winds blowing through the passageways if the doors (both the inner and outer doors) were opened simultaneously at both ends, but that would be far-fetched and more likely to produce a humming sound and not to shake heavy furnishings to the extent described.

• Like 1

NavyBankerTeacher,

I come from a maritime famiily going back to my grandfather who was managemnet in the Brooklyn Navy yard, my father was in the USNavy during WW2(including DDAY) Uncles who retired from ship building firms here in the US.  personally Ive been fortunate enough to sail  in ships since the 1970's... QE2, FRANCE, most of the Italian Line, Sitmar, Home Lines, HAL(pre & post Carnival) RCCL  & more recently w MSC.  Trans Atlantics, Carib, Panama Canal 2x, QM@3x.

I am also personal   friends w several  officers onboard HAL,Cunard & RCCL.

Vintage - me thinks  dost  thou  protest too much....Hope the grammar is correct.😁..

So w all your experience you know how ship building has changed in the 40 years . that you  claim you have experience with.

QM2 is MARKETED as an Ocean Liner where  in fact is a multi purpose ship - Crossings & cruises.  The last of the true Ocean Liners were QE2 & the  FRANCE.

As with most business when a contract goes out for refit etc - most times today it is awarded to the lowest bidder..... Cunard has cut staff, quality of food & build outs on all its ships after the Carnival takeover. 

I enjoyed sailing on QM2 3x but she's an over sized cruise ship w a reinforced hull to handle the North Atlantic.

And just because someone's experience is not the same as yours does not make it invalid.

No more need to be said on the topic.

8 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

NavyBankerTeacher,

I come from a maritime famiily going back to my grandfather who was managemnet in the Brooklyn Navy yard, my father was in the USNavy during WW2(including DDAY) Uncles who retired from ship building firms here in the US.  personally Ive been fortunate enough to sail  in ships since the 1970's... QE2, FRANCE, most of the Italian Line, Sitmar, Home Lines, HAL(pre & post Carnival) RCCL  & more recently w MSC.  Trans Atlantics, Carib, Panama Canal 2x, QM@3x.

Does any of this cause massive vibrations?

On 12/9/2021 at 12:33 PM, RICHARD@SEA said:

NavyBankerTeacher,

I suppose the hereditary vs. environment question applies to maritime matters.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 12:43 PM, RICHARD@SEA said:

QM2 is MARKETED as an Ocean Liner where  in fact is a multi purpose ship - Crossings & cruises.  The last of the true Ocean Liners were QE2 & the  FRANCE.

I enjoyed sailing on QM2 3x but she's an over sized cruise ship w a reinforced hull to handle the North Atlantic.

Sorry sir but your statement, and your reasoning, are incorrect.
The QM2 was built with the scantlings, the configuration, and the capabilities of an ocean liner rather than those of a cruise ship ... you know, the "reinforced hull to handle the North Atlantic" and that sort of thing.
Besides that, Cunard runs the QM2 on a scheduled series of crossings for most of the year [i.e. the definition of a "liner"] rather than the sort of circumscribed voyages that define a cruise ship. The fact that they also run a series of cruises for a limited period of the year does not alter that fact, just as it did not render the ocean liner QE2 a lesser entity when it, too, ran a few cruises as a sideline.
If they made an occasional run from Southampton to Cherbourg in between ocean crossings and worldwide voyages, I guess you'd insist it's a ferry!

I don't know that there's any further need to argue the toss.
Due to its construction and its primary usage, the RMS Queen Mary 2 does in fact fulfill the two fundamental requirements to be deemed an ocean liner.

• Like 1

Hello

I have sailed on deck 12  port side in a club cabin and it was fine.  A few years ago, I sailed in 13030,  (A winter crossing to UK.) the last one on the port side.  Nice view.   I felt no vibration.  The only downside was the walk to get to elevators as mentioned by a previous correspondent.  The situation is odd.

Deck Chair.