18:00 Flight from Miami, what to do after leaving the ship in Port Everglades?

TheSmashingCruiser

Hello Cruise Critic,

We are sailing Celebrity Silhouette this January, after debarking the ship in Port Everglades how do would you recommend that we a) get from the Port Everglades to MIA and also, how do we spend the afternoon. We really don't want to sit in the airport for 6 hours or so.

With Thanks,

TheSmashingCruiser

I’d recommend doing a Day room at a hotel. A shuttle will take you from the port to a hotel, then from the hotel to the airport when it’s time for your flight. While at the hotel, you can use the pool, or whatever.

This place does it:

https://cruiseshiphotels.com/dayrooms/#

Another suggestion is to rent a car for the day, one-way. These usually run about $30. You can then go wherever you want to go, and you have somewhere to store your bags, then you drop it off at MIA.

6pm flight means you need to check in around 3 pm as TSA can be slow!

We have previously got a private transfer (Larry's Limos) from Port Everglades to Dolphin Mall, to do a bit of shopping and have lunch before heading to the airport (USD 40 in taxi). Another option we have done is arrange for Larry's Limos to drop us to MIA, where we put our bags into the luggage storage then take the shuttle to Dolphin Mall. But, all these were based around a 9pm flight.

In your case I would be inclined to take ship's tour which would drop to the airport around 1 pm.

Uber to South Beach (about $35) and pay to store your bags at the Luggage Lounge. Then explore SB - art deco architecture, shopping, people watching, boozy brunch, etc. From SB you can either catch the airport flyer bus (about $3 each) or grab an Uber to MIA.

I would add a second vote for going to South Beach and storing bags at Luggage Lounge. You can walk around for hours. If you decide on this plan and would like some suggestions on what to see, please ask and we'll be happy to give you some suggestions.

The cruise ship excursion isn't a terrible idea either. You'll get dropped off at the airport after, well in time for your flight and it's a nice regimented experience. But I'd prefer South Beach. Relax, have some drinks on Ocean Drive and a nice lunch somewhere, etc.