Breakaway - Coast Guard medevac in progress, on live shipcam now @8:28 EDT

mking8288

Breakaway @ 21 knots on a 198 degree heading (south) is off the coast of North Carolina, north of Cape Hatteras now - on ship's live webcam ... USCG chopter hovering on station, doing what it's trained best to do, another life saving mission.

Update - looked like patient transfer hasn't been and copter has lifted safely away earlier. It has now returned to hover very low above the bow, waiting to bring up the rescue basket ... Thoughts & prayers, that all is well and best medical care being rendered ... whatever that might be.

P.S. Let's respect patient and family privacy and not ask those detailed questions, etc. USCG will typically release an official statement later, at an appropriate time via its public affairs office.

f65ba5cd9e42031cd49b4110e345e7aa.jpg

40e45033e24a393fff4ab25ce56ee008.jpg

372910171346820cf35e217bc15803d0.jpg

ab5bdc5447515731eab398592f1581e7.jpg

Chopter moving away @ 8:48 AM (cross wind blowing across the bow, starboard to port side)

1cf64aed53fa668f8435cf635b50468f.jpg

Chopter & para-rescuer now seen on shipcam again @ 8:53 AM

Edited by mking8288

On board in a Forward-facing Penthouse suite and I heard the helicopter. We had a front row seat to the entire event and watched with amazement as the entire process took place over about 20+ minutes. It looks like a nurse went with the patient along with a family member. She went up in the basket first.

The rescue efforts were definitely hampered by the strong winds. The helicopter had a difficult time staying over the pickup area and the involved personnel on deck had all they could do to stand between the winds from the helicopter and the stiff winds blowing across the deck.

The medical staff, firefighters and other ship's personnel along with those brave Coast Guard men and women deserve every bit of praise. I always have respect for all that work to save others. This is no exception.

I pray for the recovery of the individual airlifted stateside.

I have friends on board too hopefully everyone is okay. They are supposed to check in with me tomorrow when they get to Florida.

Any idea if they are having a rocky sail?

The seas were defined nicely rocking us late last evening but we have finally run out of the white caps as of around 3 PM. This ship really handles the rough seas nicely!

USCG 5th District, Mid-Atlantic @ Portsmouth, VA released the following this afternoon. It identified the vessel as the Norwegian Dawn ( ?? that is down in the Caribbean) - probably, it was the Breakaway. Three hoists conducted under challenging wind conditions onto the MH60 Jayhawk helicopter based at CG Air Station @Elizabeth City, NC and transported to Norfolk, VA for care - sounding good & positive. Said to be a 2nd. medevac from the same cruise ship in two weeks ...

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/1c642bf

Video released by USCG - bow of the ship looked like the Breakaway & not the Dawn class ship - https://www.dvidshub.net/video/567118/coast-guard-medevacs-man-cruise-ship-off-nc-coast

Job well done ! for all those involved.

Breakaway has been sailing much closer to land all day, passed Myrtle Beach, SC heading south toward Charleston. ETA for arriving at Port Canaveral tomorrow is 11:30 EDT (16:30 UTC) ... probably for a smoother ride down the coast with the cross wind.

Edited by mking8288

Ugh...sorry for all those involved. Hope they are OK. This kind of incident is my worst nightmare when booking and taking a cruise. Being out at sea and needing emergency medical attention for my husband or myself. On land one can be quickly transported, but not so easy on a ship............not to mention it ruining your cruise.