Voice Mail From Norwegian Epic

Georgia_Peaches

I just received a voice mail from NCL regarding Epic's embarkation time changing to 2 PM and departure time being pushed back as well. Has anyone else received this message? Something about immigration? Could this new 2 PM time be pretty firm or is there some boarding flexibility?

Thanks for any insight!

CM

I just received a voice mail from NCL regarding Epic's embarkation time changing to 2 PM and departure time being pushed back as well. Has anyone else received this message? Something about immigration? Could this new 2 PM time be pretty firm or is there some boarding flexibility?

Thanks for any insight!

CM

Maybe it was just for your week? When are you cruising?

Yes probably due to getting the crew thru immigration. I believe that each person has to be seen by immigration cap it does slow things down. They are telling us to be out of our cabin by 9 AM so they can get them made up. Two things to note. I found one of our bags on the other side if the ship. We are on the even side and after a while I decided to look for our second bag. I decided to check the odd number side if the ship and there it was. Also to after 8 hour our room was still not made up.

Just posted the following in the roll call of this sailing:

Ok, here's the skinny. I'm on the Epic now and just got this from the hotel manager during our b2b meeting.

Because we never went to St. Thomas where we would have cleared US immigration, we now must clear at Port Canaveral. And that means a zero count of passengers AND crew. That's going to take extra time. Normally folks would just get off and and go straight to the curb. Not now. The terminal can only handle about 1,200 at a time. Add to this that there will be 3 other ships offloading at the same time. Non-US crew has to clear their season beginning US visa stuff before they can go back onboard. Want more? It's time for the Epic's annual Coast Guard bow to stern inspection. Crew has to demonstrate proficiency in all emergency procedures, etc, etc. Plus all you folks arriving and being put on hold for some time. Almost a perfect storm.

Even for us back-to-backers that would normally get off, quick clear immigration and then immediately reboard, they are not expecting us to be able to do that until at least 2pm if we're lucky. They say there's probably no way we're sailing at 5, but still they're asking us (if we decide to wonder off) to be back at the terminal by 3:30.

We're told to expect huge lines at immigration, no Global Entry or priority lanes.

So, in a nutshell...expect highly irregular operations and all-around delays.

The Captain is going to try to dock early to mitigate some of the delays, but many aspects are out of his control.

I know it's not how you want to start a vacation, but try to take it in stride and keep your cool. Once you get onboard and your first drink is in your hand, you'll forget all about it.

If anyone has any questions I might be able to answer while on board, post 'em here.

FYI, this transatlantic has been great. Except for 1 day we've had perfect weather and you'll see lots of tan and happy faces disembarking.

See you in a few!

We got the call too with instructions to be there to board at 2pm.

Wondering what time we should plan to arrive as have wheelchair reserved and standing for long time is not an option. We are parking off port and arriving by shuttle.

Guess there had to be a 1st time as we have 34 cruises to date and not had this issue previously. Did have an issue at Port Everglades when a freak storm struck around 7am and took out electricity at terminal, thus ended up being a big mess.

Have not sailed NCL since 2006 so really have no idea what to expect.

Lady on TA posted about this 2 or 3 days ago warning that there would be delays and that she was told crew had to get off first before passengers. Hope there are enough immigration/customs folks working to expedite the situation. Have seen massive back up at other ports due to lack of employees and ship was not allowed to let us off to go to terminal.

Just posted the following in the roll call of this sailing:

Ok, here's the skinny. I'm on the Epic now and just got this from the hotel manager during our b2b meeting.

Because we never went to St. Thomas where we would have cleared US immigration, we now must clear at Port Canaveral. And that means a zero count of passengers AND crew. That's going to take extra time. Normally folks would just get off and and go straight to the curb. Not now. The terminal can only handle about 1,200 at a time. Add to this that there will be 3 other ships offloading at the same time. Non-US crew has to clear their season beginning US visa stuff before they can go back onboard. Want more? It's time for the Epic's annual Coast Guard bow to stern inspection. Crew has to demonstrate proficiency in all emergency procedures, etc, etc. Plus all you folks arriving and being put on hold for some time. Almost a perfect storm.

Even for us back-to-backers that would normally get off, quick clear immigration and then immediately reboard, they are not expecting us to be able to do that until at least 2pm if we're lucky. They say there's probably no way we're sailing at 5, but still they're asking us (if we decide to wonder off) to be back at the terminal by 3:30.

We're told to expect huge lines at immigration, no Global Entry or priority lanes.

So, in a nutshell...expect highly irregular operations and all-around delays.

The Captain is going to try to dock early to mitigate some of the delays, but many aspects are out of his control.

I know it's not how you want to start a vacation, but try to take it in stride and keep your cool. Once you get onboard and your first drink is in your hand, you'll forget all about it.

If anyone has any questions I might be able to answer while on board, post 'em here.

FYI, this transatlantic has been great. Except for 1 day we've had perfect weather and you'll see lots of tan and happy faces disembarking.

See you in a few!

WOW! I appreciate the information very much! I'm so excited to get out of town I'm not letting anything get me down. I think it helps a little when you know the "why" behind the delay.

Cheers!

Hope there are enough immigration/customs folks working to expedite the situation. Have seen massive back up at other ports due to lack of employees and ship was not allowed to let us off to go to terminal.

They specifically mentioned this as a possibility for us too. CBP controlling flow off the ship due to capacity in the terminal being reached. Especially with 4 ships arriving.

I think that's why the Captain is pushing hard to get in early. He's currently saying he's petitioned and trying to get in as early as 5am so disembarking can begin as early as 6:30am, to try to get a head start on the crowds. But it's up to the Port and CBP. And to quote him on the latest, "They haven't said no, but they haven't said yes either."

I honestly think they're doing their best to minimize delays. And I think they have been forthcoming about how bad it might be, while hoping it will turn out not so bad.

Fingers crossed.

If you don't need to board early I would arrive at about an hour before the ship sails, you will not have any lines at all.

Also note they are out of regular coffee for the rooms on my decaf and it looks like tea it us so weak. Speaking of tea also ran out of teabags believe it or not!

We got the call too with instructions to be there to board at 2pm.

Sooooo, does this mean that ALL passengers are being told to get there at 2pm?:eek::(:mad:...sounds like a nightmare a brewing....hard to guess what a good time to arrive would be.....???? don't want to go too early & wait & wait & don't want to go too late & not really sure of departure time...???

If you don't need to board early I would arrive at about an hour before the ship sails, you will not have any lines at all.

How would we know when an hour before ships sails is? NCL docs says you must be on board two (2) hours prior to sailing.

We are still trying to figure out what time to drop car off for shuttle to cruise. We have about a 2 1/2 hour drive across state to get to Port Canaveral. Since we will miss lunch on ship I would like to come a little earlier and have lunch at Fishlips or one of the other restaurants near where RCL docks. We would then need to backtrack as we are parking car before port entrance. Time will tell.

How would we know when an hour before ships sails is? NCL docs says you must be on board two (2) hours prior to sailing.

We are still trying to figure out what time to drop car off for shuttle to cruise. We have about a 2 1/2 hour drive across state to get to Port Canaveral. Since we will miss lunch on ship I would like to come a little earlier and have lunch at Fishlips or one of the other restaurants near where RCL docks. We would then need to backtrack as we are parking car before port entrance. Time will tell.

We are about 2 1/2 hours south of the port & trying to figure it out as well; I was thinking Fishlips too! We are likely to see a bunch of pre-cruisers anxiously trying to enjoy lunch!

I'm coming down from Jacksonville and am struggling with what time to get there. I don't do waiting very well but we are told to be there 2 hours prior to departure which would be 2:00pm...how are 4,000 people supposed to get on by then? Anyone have any thoughts? I don't want to miss the boat!

I'm coming down from Jacksonville and am struggling with what time to get there. I don't do waiting very well but we are told to be there 2 hours prior to departure which would be 2:00pm...how are 4,000 people supposed to get on by then? Anyone have any thoughts? I don't want to miss the boat!

If you're at the terminal by 3:00pm, I think you'll be fine. The Captain specifically said that if there are still a bunch of people waiting to check in due to the pileup, they're obviously not going to sail.

He just now came on the PA with an update: A very good slot was given. Pilot alongside and onboard at 4:15am. He expects the gangway to be secured by 5:30am. After that it's all up to CBP as to the time and flow of disembarkation.

So for getting all the pax off, at least there's a chance of a good head start on the crowds coming from the other ships. But they still have to get the crew processed and back on board and then go through the whole US Coast Guard annual top to bottom inspection. So they're still going to have their hands full, as he said. He did sound optimistic that all of that should go fairly smoothly though. Should.

That's it for now.

Edited by TexasCigarGuy

If you're at the terminal by 3:00pm, I think you'll be fine. The Captain specifically said that if there are still a bunch of people waiting to check in due to the pileup, they're obviously not going to sail.

He just now came on the PA with an update: A very good slot was given. Pilot alongside and onboard at 4:15am. He expects the gangway to be secured by 5:30am. After that it's all up to CBP as to the time and flow of disembarkation.

So for getting all the pax off, at least there's a chance of a good head start on the crowds coming from the other ships. But they still have to get the crew processed and back on board and then go through the whole US Coast Guard annual top to bottom inspection. So they're still going to have their hands full, as he said. He did sound optimistic that all of that should go fairly smoothly though. Should.

That's it for now.

Thanks for the update. Wonder why you don't have to vacate cabins until 9am. What time are cabins available for next cruise passengers? On Royal and Celebrity we must vacate by 8am. They like to have cabins ready by 1pm. Only fair to those waiting to board.

Thanks for the update. Wonder why you don't have to vacate cabins until 9am. What time are cabins available for next cruise passengers? On Royal and Celebrity we must vacate by 8am. They like to have cabins ready by 1pm. Only fair to those waiting to board.

NCL is usually 1pm as well.