UPDATE: Argentina Reciprocity Fee For Cruise Ship Passengers

dr__dawggy

• 2 weeks later...
I was surprised to see new lists to this thread. The "new" information in the

First post is now almost 4 years old and hopelessly out of date.

Just to be clear, if you are a citizen of the US, Canada or Australia, the reciprocity fee is mandatory, regardless of whether you enter Argentina by air, ship, or land. It does not matter if you stop off in another country before crossing into Argentina. Enter on a passport from one of these countries, and the fee is required and must be paid on line prior to departure for Argentina.

The fee for US citizens is US 160 and is valid for 10 years. The amount varies for residents of other countries, depending on how much each country charges Argentines for a visa to visit.

This is near-accurate. More accurate would be: If you travel on a passport from US, Canada or Australia.

Many holders of those passports are dual citizens with other, non-reciprocity countries. I have an Irish passport and plan to travel with that. It saves me $72 USD that I'd have to pay if I used my Canadian passport.

Plus, it saves me hundreds I'd have had to spend to get a Brazilian visa if we decide to stop in SP on the way home.

This is near-accurate. More accurate would be: If you travel on a passport from US, Canada or Australia.

Many holders of those passports are dual citizens with other, non-reciprocity countries. I have an Irish passport and plan to travel with that. It saves me $72 USD that I'd have to pay if I used my Canadian passport.

Plus, it saves me hundreds I'd have had to spend to get a Brazilian visa if we decide to stop in SP on the way home.

Thanks for that clarification. Good way to save some money that can be used for more important things like Jameson's or Guinness. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to recall a Chili "fee" if you flew into Santiago? (2010) I've flown into BA the last 2 cruises with another booked this year, however, the sailing prior, has price dumped :) and I may pick that up, flying into Chili instead. Any fees involved?

I seem to recall a Chili "fee" if you flew into Santiago? (2010) I've flown into BA the last 2 cruises with another booked this year, however, the sailing prior, has price dumped :) and I may pick that up, flying into Chili instead. Any fees involved?

I'm way behind. ;) I see the fee was discontinued in 2014. :)

We paid the Argentina reciprocity fee three years ago, but now have a new passport. The $160. fee we paid is good for another seven years, but when we applied, we had to give the passport number. We now have new passports. Should we bring the old passports with the reciprocity fee number written in them?

We paid the Argentina reciprocity fee three years ago, but now have a new passport. The $160. fee we paid is good for another seven years, but when we applied, we had to give the passport number. We now have new passports. Should we bring the old passports with the reciprocity fee number written in them?

Yes.

We have the same situation. We brought our old passports (our reciprocity fee document was pasted into our old passports) and new. We were asked to show both when we left Boston for BA, when we changed at JFK, when we arrived in BA at the airport, when we boarded the ship in BA, and when we got to the airport in BA to head home and at the gate when boarding the flight in BA. No one blinked when we handed them 4 passports for the 2 of us.

• 1 month later...

Reciprocity Fee to be Cancelled?

BA newspapers are reporting that on the agenda for meetings between the Presidents of the United States and Argentina this week is a discussion of a bilateral agreement to end Visa/Reciprocity fees for residents of either country to visit the other.

Watch for news of the meetings in advance of paying the reciprocity fee.

Reciprocity Fee to be Cancelled?

BA newspapers are reporting that on the agenda for meetings between the Presidents of the United States and Argentina this week is a discussion of a bilateral agreement to end Visa/Reciprocity fees for residents of either country to visit the other.

Watch for news of the meetings in advance of paying the reciprocity fee.

That is great news, thanks for sharing. If you hear anything, please keep us posted as to the outcome of the talks. We don't go until next January, so maybe there's hope of avoiding this expense! Now if Brazil would just do away with its visa requirement.......or extend the Olympic grace period......

That is great news, thanks for sharing. If you hear anything, please keep us posted as to the outcome of the talks. We don't go until next January, so maybe there's hope of avoiding this expense! Now if Brazil would just do away with its visa requirement.......or extend the Olympic grace period......

The fee has been suspended. There's a new thread on the topic. Posting here just in case you missed it.

• 4 months later...