rain and more rain

SeaBands

sailing on the 14th and it looks like there will be rain in every port for 12 days.

My experience of rain in Alaska is off and on during the day. I cannot remember where it just rained ALL day. Weather forecasters like to predict rain and be right the majority of the time. It is risky to predict a sunny day in Alaska.

Edited by Crew News

On our last cruise to Alaska, the crew said the week before us, it rained everyday, and it was to predicted to continue thru our cruise also.

Our cruise had one day of rain, the sea day, and the rest of the time, it was sunshine and more sunshine.

Long story short, you never know in Alaska.

Bring the rain gear and still enjoy the cruise.

Cheers

Len

Why do people even read the weather forecasts when they come to southeast Alaska? They are absolutely worthless. Don't get your panties all bunched up because the forecast predicts rain. Also, try to remember that all of southeast Alaska is a temperate rainforest. It's been that way for thousands of years......

So here's how Alaskans deal with the weather: Hope for the best, plan for the worse and have fun no matter what.

I think this is great advice. I also fretted about the weather forecast on our July Alaskan cruise. And although rain was forecast at about a 50% to 75% chance for each port day, it never rained once all week.

I know it is hard sometimes for locals to understand why us "novice visitors" are concerned about bad weather, but the other side of that issue is when you pay $5,000 to $10,000 for a cruise vacation including airfare, you hope that you're not going to be experiencing it in a cold rain all week. That can't be fun.

We found that a pack-back came in handy on the cruise for carrying the recommended layers of clothing, rain-gear, a small portable umbrella and whatever else you want to bring on shore (or come back with). For us it turned out to be shorts and a light jacket everyday but apparently anything can happed up there when it comes to weather. Have fun, it's a beautiful, pristine and historic place.

It is coming into the cooler rainier timeframe.

As already mentioned, it is essential to have GOOD rain gear.

I've had trips where it did pour all day over multiple days. Most tours still go.

I'm headed back to Alaska in a week for 3+ weeks (then a 16 day Transpacific). I expect about half the time to be raining. :)

We were on a cruise in July. It rained more often than not. We had purchased waterproof shoes and had cheap parkas. Ended up buying caps and umbrellas. It did not ruin our cruise. Alaska is lovely in the rain. You will enjoy regardless!

Almost always when we look at the extended forecast for AK, rain is included. But we've been very lucky (June twice and September several times) to not have near as much rain as was forecast.

It IS Alaska, so plan on bundling up/layering, and hope for the best.

Enjoy!

Let me start off saying I just posting the weather conditions we experienced on our 10 day Alaska Cruise Tour. We still had a great time regardless. The only disappointment was in the beautiful views we were hoping to occasionally see.

We were on the Radiance of the Seas's northbound Alaskan cruise the last week of July and the forecast said rain every day. Well this time the forecast was correct….it either rained or poured everyday... most of the day. It either drizzled or poured all day. We did not see the sun or a blue sky for four days straight (Inside Passage, Ketchikan, Icy Strait and Juneau). The clouds hung so low at times you couldn't see the top of mountains or Mt Roberts Tramway and at one point the fog blurred the horizon line. Visions of sitting on our aft balcony watching the beautiful scenery go by were gone since the chairs, loungers, floor and railing were always soaked.

On the fifth day in Skagway we saw a rainbow and some blue skies when we took a private van tour to Carcross/Yukon. We welcomed the beautiful views Alaska is known for and some blue skies. It was nice to shed the rain gear even for a couple of hours.

The sixth day was Hubbard Glacier and it started out foggy with the fog horn blowing but once we entered the bay the sun was out and the skies were blue….. it was absolutely gorgeous. We even saw a sunset this night.

We spent three additional days doing a land tour. The weather varied but we only experienced an occasional drizzle no downpours.

For the Denali Wilderness Tundra Tour the weather was overcast with a drizzle here and there. Our driver did his best wiping the mud off the windows when we stopped.

Although there were plenty of opportunity to see Mt. Denali from different places while on the land tour….it kept on hiding behind the clouds.

All our private excursions were completed regardless of the weather. We had a great time on them all!

We still had a great time on our cruise! The only disappointment (for lack of a better word) was the constant low hanging clouds/fog which of course no one can control or predict. They had the nerve to block our view of the mountain tops…..lol. BUT we a great time experiencing everything else Alaska has to offer!

So my suggestion is go and enjoy your cruise and don't fret about the weather……not only prepare with gear but mentally too for the worst weather and if you see the sun consider it a bonus. lol

Note for those who like to take photographs……..have something to cover your camera with….I was constantly wiping water off my lens. Learn how to shoot in fog and low lying clouds….it really made it difficult for the camera to find something to focus on. I've spent a couple of months before vacation studying tutorials and practicing to learn how to use my new camera but not once did I give thought to what I will do if it's foggy or raining out. So now I will spend the winter learning how to shoot in cloudy rainy days and be better prepared for our next vacation. There is always something to learn.

Oh don't forget to make sure your backpack is waterproof, if you get caught in a downpour like we did everything in there will get wet. Umbrellas were useless in keeping the backpack dry.

Edited by starfish216

I have a friend who just returned from an Alaskan cruise. She advised me to take a rain coat/umbrella. She kept them in a back pack when not needed. She said carrying a back pack was the best thing she did.

Yes back packs are great for traveling, it keeps the hands free. Just make sure it's waterproof otherwise what's inside has a good chance of getting damp. Using an umbrella did no good in keeping our back pack dry, the pouring rain was coming down in every direction in Ketchikan my DH purchased a poncho and tied it around his back pack. We ended up using that poncho on more than one occasion to keep the back pack dry.

Let me start off saying I just posting the weather conditions we experienced on our 10 day Alaska Cruise Tour. We still had a great time regardless. The only disappointment was in the beautiful views we were hoping to occasionally see.

We were on the Radiance of the Seas's northbound Alaskan cruise the last week of July and the forecast said rain every day. Well this time the forecast was correct….it either rained or poured everyday... most of the day. It either drizzled or poured all day. We did not see the sun or a blue sky for four days straight (Inside Passage, Ketchikan, Icy Strait and Juneau). The clouds hung so low at times you couldn't see the top of mountains or Mt Roberts Tramway and at one point the fog blurred the horizon line. Visions of sitting on our aft balcony watching the beautiful scenery go by were gone since the chairs, loungers, floor and railing were always soaked.

On the fifth day in Skagway we saw a rainbow and some blue skies when we took a private van tour to Carcross/Yukon. We welcomed the beautiful views Alaska is known for and some blue skies. It was nice to shed the rain gear even for a couple of hours.

The sixth day was Hubbard Glacier and it started out foggy with the fog horn blowing but once we entered the bay the sun was out and the skies were blue….. it was absolutely gorgeous. We even saw a sunset this night.

We spent three additional days doing a land tour. The weather varied but we only experienced an occasional drizzle no downpours.

For the Denali Wilderness Tundra Tour the weather was overcast with a drizzle here and there. Our driver did his best wiping the mud off the windows when we stopped.

Although there were plenty of opportunity to see Mt. Denali from different places while on the land tour….it kept on hiding behind the clouds.

All our private excursions were completed regardless of the weather. We had a great time on them all!

We still had a great time on our cruise! The only disappointment (for lack of a better word) was the constant low hanging clouds/fog which of course no one can control or predict. They had the nerve to block our view of the mountain tops…..lol. BUT we a great time experiencing everything else Alaska has to offer!

So my suggestion is go and enjoy your cruise and don't fret about the weather……not only prepare with gear but mentally too for the worst weather and if you see the sun consider it a bonus. lol

Note for those who like to take photographs……..have something to cover your camera with….I was constantly wiping water off my lens. Learn how to shoot in fog and low lying clouds….it really made it difficult for the camera to find something to focus on. I've spent a couple of months before vacation studying tutorials and practicing to learn how to use my new camera but not once did I give thought to what I will do if it's foggy or raining out. So now I will spend the winter learning how to shoot in cloudy rainy days and be better prepared for our next vacation. There is always something to learn.

Oh don't forget to make sure your backpack is waterproof, if you get caught in a downpour like we did everything in there will get wet. Umbrellas were useless in keeping the backpack dry.

Interesting, we sailed southbound the same week and I got sunburned. The only rain we encountered was late in the day in Icy Strait Point, as we were heading back to the ship. As for photographs, on our first cruise to Alaska the weather was much like you describe, and the photos are actually much better than the blue sky, bright sun that we experienced on our last two trips. I believe it is a matter of choice if you allow weather to impact your enjoyment, in some ways our rainy trip was superior, and it rained just about all day, everyday except the last day at sea.

Does anyone know what the temperatures will be like during the first week of September? We have already got some rainproof boots and slickers from LL Bean that should cover us for the rain.

We are starting to pack today and determining what we should bring, I know lots of layers, has been difficult as we are use to doing Caribbean cruises!

Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know what the temperatures will be like during the first week of September?

Yep, Gypsy Ruth does.

Or you could check a weather website for average temps for the ports you'll be going to.

Yep, Gypsy Ruth does.

Or you could check a weather website for average temps for the ports you'll be going to.

Thanks Sheep. We have been checking the sites only for average temperatures. Just wondering if anyone had travel during that time and had first hand experience. Our concern is the "wind chill factor" as I know the "feel like" temperature can be much different than the actual temperature on the thermostat.

I've sailed every cruise, timeframe in Alaska, and always, my packing is the same. a sweatshirt, sweatshirt jacket, lightweight lined jacket, hat, gloves, an extra pair of walking shoes, t shirts, no jeans. I always have laundry done, and I take 1 bag for 2 people. I do have a decent dress top plus an extra one due to my flying requirements. I usually pack enough for 5 days, extra underclothes. This was all I took for my recent 4 week trip.

This week I will be leaving for 6 weeks. 3 more Alaska cruises, then a repo Hawaii 16 day sailing. I also need to take my snorkel gear, swim stuff, shorts, sandals. I probably will have to take a small second bag.

I've sailed every cruise, timeframe in Alaska, and always, my packing is the same. a sweatshirt, sweatshirt jacket, lightweight lined jacket, hat, gloves, an extra pair of walking shoes, t shirts, no jeans. I always have laundry done, and I take 1 bag for 2 people. I do have a decent dress top plus an extra one due to my flying requirements. I usually pack enough for 5 days, extra underclothes. This was all I took for my recent 4 week trip.

This week I will be leaving for 6 weeks. 3 more Alaska cruises, then a repo Hawaii 16 day sailing. I also need to take my snorkel gear, swim stuff, shorts, sandals. I probably will have to take a small second bag.

Thanks Budget Queen. That is helpful. The stress of packing was getting to us today as we were trying to get things squared away for day and night time outfits. My wife loves to dress up for dinner and definitely gets all dolled up for formal nights, so trying to figure everything out and get it shoved into our suitcases finally took its toll.

Thanks Budget Queen. That is helpful. The stress of packing was getting to us today as we were trying to get things squared away for day and night time outfits. My wife loves to dress up for dinner and definitely gets all dolled up for formal nights, so trying to figure everything out and get it shoved into our suitcases finally took its toll.

Good luck, it will come together for you. :) I haven't done "formal nights" in over 10 years, just not important to me, after 93 cruises. With that priority, I still find a single bag can be managed per person. Mix and match, goes a long way.

Good luck, it will come together for you. :) I haven't done "formal nights" in over 10 years, just not important to me, after 93 cruises. With that priority, I still find a single bag can be managed per person. Mix and match, goes a long way.

93 cruises!!:eek:. That is so amazing. One day we hope to have traveled that much. We really starting getting the cruising bug after Allure of the Seas in 2013. We have our upcoming Alaskan cruise and then three more cruises lined up in the next 18 months. A slow and steady club to Diamond on RCI!

Thanks again!

Why do people even read the weather forecasts when they come to southeast Alaska? They are absolutely worthless. Don't get your panties all bunched up because the forecast predicts rain. Also, try to remember that all of southeast Alaska is a temperate rainforest. It's been that way for thousands of years......

omg where is the LIKE button!?? priceless info. Unfortunately the vast majority of cruisers seem to forget that whole temperate rainforest info. :rolleyes:

I'm coming from the desert southwest, and actually look forward to maybe getting some of that wet stuff ....:cool: