Mexican Riviera Carnival Splendor vs Ruby Princess?

RPB123

Hi, I'm looking to book a cruise over Thanksgiving with one of my long-time girlfriends. It will be just the two of us and we are just looking to relax for a week without our kids. We both like good food but are not snobs. We plan on drinking a fair amount and will probably get some sort of drink package. To be honest, we aren't thrilled with the itinerary but as we live in the western US (SLC and Seattle) it just gets too complicated trying to do a Florida departure. So we don't care much about the ports in Mexico, we've been to most of them before. We want some pool time, maybe spa treatments, decent (at least) food, fun bars/dancing maybe shows too.

Both Carnival and Princess offer seven day Mexican riviera trips with the exact same itinerary. Carnival is about $70 less for an ocean view. Which cruise line would be a better fit do you think? People seem to have the impression that Princess is more upscale, but in reading the reviews that doesn't always seem to be the case. Also, I think the Mexican Riviera cruises are their own sort of beast, possibly lower caliber than other cruises.

Thanks!

We sailed that exact cruise on Princess and loved it. We did notice that it seemed to be mostly older retired people on Princess. The food was amazing. So much food. My favorite is the Atriums little coffee shop. We did not see too many children on the Ruby when we went. We haven't sailed Carnival yet, this November is our first time, so we are also curious how the two compare. To be honest though we had a fun time on both of our past cruises. Just be careful in the spa, because they will want to up-sell you. I ended up paying almost $400 for a massage even though I booked it online ahead of time, and didn't realize you have to take the print out of what you paid with you so that they don't change it. I am wary of the spas on cruise ships after that experience.

Having been on both ships, I'll give you my opinion. Unfortunately, Splendor misses the mark on just about everything that Carnival does well in the food area. No Guy's burger, no Blue Iguana, no Guy's BBQ. If you don't care about that, enjoy the 'pink ship'. Pizza and entertainment on Carnival is better, more 'fun' in my opinion.

That being said, Ruby is much more upscale, and happened to be our first Princess cruise. We left impressed, especially with the staff and food selection. The shows on Ruby weren't just bad, they were downright bizarre. We went the first night to one where it was like Alice in Wonderland on mushrooms, and we even overheard a lady the next day at breakfast comment how she had a nightmare about a tea party gone wrong... So we skipped the rest of the cast shows. Other than that we enjoyed Princess quite a bit.

Since you're going without kids, I'd select Princess for sure.

Okay, I'm pretty torn here. We are looking at a spa cabin (interior) on the Splendor. I think having the spa access will be really nice. I'm not sure how overrun with kids any cruise will be that week (thanksgiving). We are in our 30's/40's and would prefer not feeling like we are on a senior cruise. I just wish the west coast had better options.

We are one of those older folks who absolutely loved being on the Splendor.

I think Guys burgers are flat and tasteless and I don't need a taco bar to make me enjoy food on a ship!!

There is a BBQ station on the 2nd floor of the Lido deck and the Indian food station outside at the rear of the Lido was super!!

The spa area was wonderful!

Both ships will have families with children. We have been on Carnival at spring break and we think they do a great job keeping the kiddos occupied so that they don't bother us oldER folks!

I am not knocking Princess but just letting you know that Splendor was one of our favorite ships.Not too big and not too small!

I've been on Ruby Princess twice and absolutely love her, love the layout, the atmosphere, the food and the social vibe. But I booked on Splendor for my 14 day Hawaii cruise because Carnival was cheaper and I keep hearing about the Fun on Carnival. Princess was an older crowd, but not necessarily lacking fun. And the pool situation seems better on the Ruby Princess. If the time on board is more important than the locations, I'd go with Princess. But again, i don't have experience on the Splendor, just what I've been reading on here for months./

Okay, I'm pretty torn here. We are looking at a spa cabin (interior) on the Splendor. I think having the spa access will be really nice. I'm not sure how overrun with kids any cruise will be that week (thanksgiving). We are in our 30's/40's and would prefer not feeling like we are on a senior cruise. I just wish the west coast had better options.

On Carnival, Price out a Spa Cabin and a regular Cabin with a Spa Package added on. Many say the Splendor Spa is one of the best at sea.

Have sailed both ships several times. While I don’t truly like either of them, I’d choose the Splendor. You’ll see very few kids as they’re all in the kids clubs. Though over Thanksgiving there will be similar passenger ratios, lots of families.

Splendor IS, OV and balcony cabins are larger than Princess’s.

Carnival’s comedy is better, as is the piano bar.

Slight edge to the Princess production shows.

Karaoke songs put the differences into perspective. Rarely hear anything faster or newer on Princess than My Way or Blue Suede Shoes. Carnival pax sing more recent songs. Princess plays more oldies on deck, last week Carnival was playing more current songs that you’d never hear on Princess.

You won’t have a bad cruise in either ship.

Carnival is always a mix of adults and families. You’ll experience more families at holiday times and summer season but the ship won’t be overrun with kids.

Many kids use Carnival’s kids clubs so the kids stay organized. Also, west coast cruises are less kidsy than Florida cruises IMO.

Based on your ages, I’d choose spa cabin on Carnival. Spa Cabin areas are kid-free as spa cabins are usually adults only. So this area of the ship will be quieter than other ship areas.

We’ve cruised Carnival both with and without kids and during holiday/summer season and out of peak season.

Princess skews older. Not that you’ll be the youngest but that there will be fewer people in your age demo on Princess than Carnival.

And head to The Office in Cabo. Great food and drinks. The margs are always amazing. Pricing is California pricing but the food and drink are top notch and you’re on the beach enjoying it all.

Carnival is always a mix of adults and families. You’ll experience more families at holiday times and summer season but the ship won’t be overrun with kids.

Many kids use Carnival’s kids clubs so the kids stay organized. Also, west coast cruises are less kidsy than Florida cruises IMO.

Based on your ages, I’d choose spa cabin on Carnival. Spa Cabin areas are kid-free as spa cabins are usually adults only. So this area of the ship will be quieter than other ship areas.

We’ve cruised Carnival both with and without kids and during holiday/summer season and out of peak season.

Princess skews older. Not that you’ll be the youngest but that there will be fewer people in your age demo on Princess than Carnival.

And head to The Office in Cabo. Great food and drinks. The margs are always amazing. Pricing is California pricing but the food and drink are top notch and you’re on the beach enjoying it all.

The spa area is kids free but not the cabins. They are open to all ages.

Side note...it seems they are trying to make these cabins kids free on the new ships. We like the spa cabins and when looking at Vista, the balcony and suites only accommodate 2. There are only 2, I think, spa interiors that accommodate more than 2 people.

It seems they are trying to push families to the bottom of the ship by limiting cabin capacity in the spa cabins and placing the family harbor cabins on deck 2.