@srqbeachgirl

rtfnl

Saw your post on another thread that you had to be airlifted from a ship and I didn't want to hijack the thread. If you had insurance, did you have to pay for the medical services upfront and wait to be reimbursed or were you totally self-pay?

Thank you

Saw your post on another thread that you had to be airlifted from a ship and I didn't want to hijack the thread. If you had insurance, did you have to pay for the medical services upfront and wait to be reimbursed or were you totally self-pay?

Thank you

It was actually from a remote resort, not a ship. I did have trip insurance, but the company that owned the resort paid all of my expenses, including my emergency flight, getting my husband and I back to the U.S. with accompanying medical personnel, my hospital bills, ongoing medical expenses that lasted several months, full refund of the vacation, plus additional compensation. I never had to pay anything and we never even turned anything in to our trip insurance.

I almost died on that vacation at the age of 27, so it definitely taught me not to sweat the small stuff (and anything that isn't life or death is small stuff)! :)

It was actually from a remote resort, not a ship. I did have trip insurance, but the company that owned the resort paid all of my expenses, including my emergency flight, getting my husband and I back to the U.S. with accompanying medical personnel, my hospital bills, ongoing medical expenses that lasted several months, full refund of the vacation, plus additional compensation. I never had to pay anything and we never even turned anything in to our trip insurance.

I almost died on that vacation at the age of 27, so it definitely taught me not to sweat the small stuff (and anything that isn't life or death is small stuff)! :)

I'm glad that you were able to get the needed medical care to continue to enjoy the beautiful beaches of Sarasota and Bradenton. You are so right about not sweating the small stuff. I need to purchase travel insurance for my family before my final payment.

I'm glad that you were able to get the needed medical care to continue to enjoy the beautiful beaches of Sarasota and Bradenton. You are so right about not sweating the small stuff. I need to purchase travel insurance for my family before my final payment.

Thanks! Even though we didn't end up using our trip insurance then, we've never taken a cruise or vacation out of the country without it. It's so easy to think nothing will ever happen...until it does!

Thank you

It depends on whether your travel insurance is primary or secondary. We’ve had good experiences getting questions answered when figuring out which policy to buy.

If it's not too personal, what was the emergency? Was it caused by something the resort did?

There was an outbreak of severe food poisoning that affected both guests and staff. Unfortunately, I was the most severe case. By the time they got me flown out, I had become so dehydrated that I was unconscious. The doctors said if I hadn't gotten to the hospital that night, I probably would not have made it.

Even though we didn't end up using our trip insurance then, we've never taken a cruise or vacation out of the country without it.

Not just out of the country but in country for us as well...10 years ago next month on a family vaca at a beach on east coast, FIL slipped and fell on wet tile, hit back of head when he went down, emergency to local hospital, then life vac to a head trauma unit at bigger hospital, ended on life support and died within 24 hours...you have no idea the expense of getting a body back to the home state for funeral, the hospital bills, the life flight and more hospital bills coupled with the emotional trauma that the family was already experiencing (we were all together for the big family vaca, flew in from different states etc)...trust when I say everything had to be paid for up front (remains do not fly free and airlines charge a hefty change fee for entire families that need to fly back home for emergency purposes like a death on vaca)...that experience taught a very emotional and expensive lesson for all...primary travel coverage always!!!!

One of the reasons I requested that I get immediately cremated wherever I happen to die.
I thought I was the only one who thought like that.

I told my DH and fam cremate me at the cheapest place possible in whatever city I expire. Then use the life insurance and go on a cruise vacation to dump my ashes. I need to tell them how to contact the ship for the proper procedure. Hmm I might need to add this info to my life insurance file in the safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Wow! I've had a couple minor incidences (like being bit by a Monkey in Mexico, falling off a high diving board in Jamaica, stepping on a kabob skewer impaling my heel in Mexico, etc) but those are some pretty serious incidents!

There was an outbreak of severe food poisoning that affected both guests and staff. Unfortunately, I was the most severe case. By the time they got me flown out, I had become so dehydrated that I was unconscious. The doctors said if I hadn't gotten to the hospital that night, I probably would not have made it.

Glad to hear that you're ok now!

Even though we didn't end up using our trip insurance then, we've never taken a cruise or vacation out of the country without it.

Not just out of the country but in country for us as well...10 years ago next month on a family vaca at a beach on east coast, FIL slipped and fell on wet tile, hit back of head when he went down, emergency to local hospital, then life vac to a head trauma unit at bigger hospital, ended on life support and died within 24 hours...you have no idea the expense of getting a body back to the home state for funeral, the hospital bills, the life flight and more hospital bills coupled with the emotional trauma that the family was already experiencing (we were all together for the big family vaca, flew in from different states etc)...trust when I say everything had to be paid for up front (remains do not fly free and airlines charge a hefty change fee for entire families that need to fly back home for emergency purposes like a death on vaca)...that experience taught a very emotional and expensive lesson for all...primary travel coverage always!!!!

Oh my goodness, that's terrible! Just goes to show that we never know what can happen. I'm so sorry your family had to go through that.

One of the reasons I requested that I get immediately cremated wherever I happen to die.

That's a great idea! I've never thought about that, but it would make things so much easier. I've always said that I don't care what they do with my body when I die, since I won't be using it anymore! :')