Jewelry of the Caribbean

95south

Here's a thread topic that people might want to talk about. Do you buy jewelry in the Caribbean, if so where do you go, and "today at 2pm your cruise director will be talking about where Royal Caribbean recommends buying jewelry at (insert Caribbean port here)". I've seen people who say they got good deals and at the other end people with absolute horror stories.Lets here what you got to say!

I think, if you see something you would enjoy, and it's at a price you like, buy it. I wouldn't make a major investment from a store I couldn't easily return to...for repairs or "check ups"....

There really are no "bargains" anymore. But, you buy jewelry because it pleases you...not to invest in your future!!

I think, if you see something you would enjoy, and it's at a price you like, buy it. I wouldn't make a major investment from a store I couldn't easily return to...for repairs or "check ups"....

There really are no "bargains" anymore. But, you buy jewelry because it pleases you...not to invest in your future!!

Too true.

Buy jewelry because you like it.

I bought, following recommendations, a sapphire ring in Colombo (Sri Lanka), because I liked the stone.

The ring itself and the setting was quite horrible, so I had the stone re-set at home. The jeweller offered me nearly four times the amount I paid for the ring ....

The shop looked quite dodgy. Sold jewelry, second hand watches, leather jackets, pirates DVDs....but Hey, the recommendation came from a trusted source.

Bought funky modern gold - platinum - titanium stuff on Mykonos. Expensive but unusual.

Bought black pearls off a boat in the Cook Islands. Not perfect pieces, but again at far less than half the price at home and the pearls had a story for us. Bought cheap, handcrafted silver and leather fashion jewelry on Kho Samui and I wear it every summer. Knock on wood, I wasn't dipped off so far. Point is, that if I am happy with the price I pay on the day, that's good enough for me.

I think the more of a deal and again the sales person claims the purchase is, the more likely it is you'll be ripped off.

Bought cheap, handcrafted silver and leather fashion jewelry on Kho Samui

Yes, totally off topic. My husband and I will be visiting Koh Samui next year and I'm looking for recommendations on where to stay. We are in our 70s and prefer simple and quiet.

Can you make a suggestion or two? And so not to totally hijacked this thread please email me. My address is my username at gmail.com. thank you!

The only expensive ring I bought was a Lavender Jade ring in Guatemala

I had it appraised when I got home it was worth the $550 I paid

I liked the ring so DH bought it for me

All my other purchases have been $100 or less & again because I liked it I bought it

Buy it because you like it

Agree. Buy it because you like it.

Some observations:

-who can really judge the value of a semi precious stone?

-how do you know that the karat count or the weight is truly accurate?

-the appraisal provided by the jewelry store is a meaningless piece of sales bumph

-the appraisal that you get at home is next to useless. It is an inflated appraisal for insurance purposes and bears little or no relation to the actual value of the item. If you don't believe this....ask someone in the business. Failing that, just try to sell that item for anything close to the stated appraisal value.

We have spent thousands first purchase was a engangement ring in 1990, always use a credit card, if diamonds are fake you can work with credit card company , ring was appraised for way more than we paid. We have bought many other things there imperial jewelers in st Thomas.

We have spent thousands first purchase was a engangement ring in 1990, always use a credit card, if diamonds are fake you can work with credit card company , ring was appraised for way more than we paid. We have bought many other things there imperial jewelers in st Thomas.

...on their Christmas card list. :) Have been there many times and have always been pleased with our purchases. To the OP's question we avoid those sponsored by the cruise lines as their pricing includes an advertising/marketing agreement fee with the cruise lines.

Yes, totally off topic. My husband and I will be visiting Koh Samui next year and I'm looking for recommendations on where to stay. We are in our 70s and prefer simple and quiet.

Can you make a suggestion or two? And so not to totally hijacked this thread please email me. My address is my username at gmail.com. thank you!

Lots of variety of hotels on Kho Samui.

Prices from under $50 ( for something adequate) to several thousand $ per night .

Big price differences between the seasons!

We like K.S. because it has action if you want it, but also nice and quiet areas.

For the latter, we like Bang Po(h) beach, Choeng Mon beach, Chaweng Noi beach, even parts of Chaweng (main) - the Novotel Resort for example are reasonably quiet. That last one has a pretty busy road in front, but the beach there is quiet. You can walk to the action in 15 to 20 minutes.

Some of these places look close to the airport when you look at the map, but there are not all that many flights, so that should not be a bother

Lots of variety of hotels on Kho Samui.

Prices from under $50 ( for something adequate) to several thousand $ per night .

Big price differences between the seasons!

We like K.S. because it has action if you want it, but also nice and quiet areas.

For the latter, we like Bang Po(h) beach, Choeng Mon beach, Chaweng Noi beach, even parts of Chaweng (main) - the Novotel Resort for example are reasonably quiet. That last one has a pretty busy road in front, but the beach there is quiet. You can walk to the action in 15 to 20 minutes.

Some of these places look close to the airport when you look at the map, but there are not all that many flights, so that should not be a bother

Thank you !