RCCL first timer-Rhapsody of the Seas?

Nanner

I will be going on my first Royal Caribbean cruise in March. It seems that there is little here about the older ships, and we are booked on the Rhapsody of the Seas. Has anyone sailed her lately who can talk about condition of the ship?

Since she's a smaller ship, do I need to worry at all about making reservations for shows? I would guess not, but am not sure.

We are going on the cheap, 3 women in a verandah cabin on Deck 7. I fear it will be really cozy, but for a week we should survive.

I am looking forward to trying a new cruise line. DH and I have done one Celebrity cruise back in 2006. The rest have all been on HAL. I am not a megaship person, as I'm more interested in the destinations than shipboard activities. I am just wanting some idea of what I can expect.

Edited by Nanner

We are presently on Rhapsody, and I find the ship in fine shape. Crew has been exceptionally friendly, competent, and willing to go the extra mile to help us enjoy the cruise to the fullest.

No show reservations at all. Among other headliner shows, we will be seeing 3 production shows this week, one of which has a featured ballroom dance couple. I am convinced Ocean Boy would greatly enjoy this show (sorry, inside joke).

The covered adult Solarium has been very enjoyable, especially with the inclement weather we've had the first few days of the cruise.

Edited by clarea

We are presently on Rhapsody, and I find the ship in fine shape. Crew has been exceptionally friendly, competent, and willing to go the extra mile to help us enjoy the cruise to the fullest.

No show reservations at all. Among other headliner shows, we will be seeing 3 production shows this week, one of which has a featured ballroom dance couple. I am convinced Ocean Boy would greatly enjoy this show (sorry, inside joke).

The covered adult Solarium has been very enjoyable, especially with the inclement weather we've had the first few days of the cruise.

The most important question is how rare is the Beef on Weck at Park Cafe?!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The most important question is how rare is the Beef on Weck at Park Cafe?!

Sunday the beef was medium in my opinion.

Monday, no beef, it was pork loin.

Today, no beef again, it's ham.

Sunday the beef was medium in my opinion.

Monday, no beef, it was pork loin.

Today, no beef again, it's ham.

So. Have to check every day. No dawdling and assuming it will be available at all times. Good to know. I normally don't do the shows, but would you suggest they are worth watching?( assuming it's the same set up in December)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We sailed on her in October in the Mediterranean from Venice and had a great time. The ship was going into dry dock for 2 weeks after we got off, mostly just for maintenance. The crew are good we always find the crew on the smaller ships better and more connected to the customers than on the big ships.

We are doing the transatlantic from Tampa to Barcelona and our son is doing the fall transatlantic from Barcelona to Tampa in the fall. We have spent many cruises on these type of ships and always enjoy them a lot. We also enjoy the Radiance class ships which are sort of mirrored off the Vision class ships.

You will have a great time enjoy your cruise.

Brian J

So. Have to check every day. No dawdling and assuming it will be available at all times. Good to know. I normally don't do the shows, but would you suggest they are worth watching?( assuming it's the same set up in December)

Bias alert: I'm not the one to evaluate the shows as I really enjoy live orchestra music. If I enjoy the orchestra and the singing, the show is great for me.

We've only seen one production show so far, second one is tonight. Orchestra is good, and singing is excellent so far.

On Brilliance last week, I'd say the orchestra was fantastic (especially the drummer), and the singing was so so.

If anyone is going on Brilliance soon, don't miss the first night's show. The orchestra does a full rendition of "Sing, Sing, Sing" to open the show, and the drummer does a great solo.

I will be going on my first Royal Caribbean cruise in March. It seems that there is little here about the older ships, and we are booked on the Rhapsody of the Seas. Has anyone sailed her lately who can talk about condition of the ship?

Since she's a smaller ship, do I need to worry at all about making reservations for shows? I would guess not, but am not sure.

We are going on the cheap, 3 women in a verandah cabin on Deck 7. I fear it will be really cozy, but for a week we should survive.

I am looking forward to trying a new cruise line. DH and I have done one Celebrity cruise back in 2006. The rest have all been on HAL. I am not a megaship person, as I'm more interested in the destinations than shipboard activities. I am just wanting some idea of what I can expect.

Hello!

We just got off the beautiful Rhapsody of the Seas from the Jan 21-28 cruise. This was our first cruise and I truly believe it was a great choice to pick a smaller cruise ship for our first one. We never felt overwhelmed we were able see basically everything that we wanted to on a daily basis. We are young, 21 and 22 and found the crowd on board to be a little bit older. However, they were very active and the ship had events, gameshows and nightly shows in the Broadway Melodies theatre that everyone can enjoy. Being that this was our first cruise, we may be quite bias, but we loved it. The staff was great and friendly, willing to answer all our questions and help us through all our needs. The entertainment on board is amazing. We missed the marriage game show and regret it. From what we heard it was the funniest show all week.

Each night they have a production show and we attended every one aside from the opening night when we were stuck in the dining room a little late (first night, seating issues). We enjoyed every show and would get there early (7:50 for an 8:30) showing to make sure we got our seats where we liked them as it is first come first serve seating. The ship has great games shows. Make sure to find Max and the young Brazilian gal. They are SO funny together. They had us rolling laughing every single night.

Last but not least, go into the cruise with an open mind. Know that you are on a little bit of an older ship and it isn't going to have the bells and whistles of the Oasis Class big guys RCCL has these days. If you are willing to have fun and keep a great attitude, it will be an awesome time.

Also, one last tip. Show up to Tampa Cruise terminal around 10:30am. They start boarding the ship at 10:30 and the terminal gets REALLY busy starting about 11:00-11:15. We got there and through security and on board by 11:15, 45 min in line. But the line sure filled up behind us quick.

Enjoy your trip and if you have waiter Alex at table 226, tell him HI!

-Josh

Just want to thank all of you for the feedback, and I'm looking forward to the trip even more now! The photos from gumbypee were great, the ship looks in fine shape for us to board next month.

I'm sorry I won't get to experience beef on weck. My traveling buddies don't want to spend the money for the restaurants on board. I may ditch them for a night and go solo, just to compare to our usual haunts on HAL!

• 2 months later...
Correct.

Thanks for the info! We're wondering what time Park Cafe opens for coffee...we're midship on Deck 8 for the Rhapsody transatlantic and wondering where the closest coffee service will be (we're usually up by 6:30 or 7:00). Thanks!

Thanks for the info! We're wondering what time Park Cafe opens for coffee...we're midship on Deck 8 for the Rhapsody transatlantic and wondering where the closest coffee service will be (we're usually up by 6:30 or 7:00). Thanks!

I'd be looking at Park Cafe and Windjammer.

Here's a recent Compass with hours for the venues:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=52075806&postcount=231

Thank You so much! Looks as if it will be the Windjammer or the Diamond Lounge for coffee! LOL!

The DL coffee is available 24 hours. I like that the location on Rhapsody is not up in Viking Crown, so you're not stuck waiting for one of the two elevators that go up there.

The DL coffee is available 24 hours. I like that the location on Rhapsody is not up in Viking Crown, so you're not stuck waiting for one of the two elevators that go up there.

Though, TBH, the wait for an elevator isn't too bad at 0630... :halo:

I think Vision class ships are the last class built to have enough elevators to accommodate the number of passengers onboard. We were on Rhapsody and rarely had to wait for elevators.

Great! We're excited! Ten days until we sail! WooHoo!

Thanks again!

Elayne

Compared to HAL, you'll find the public areas to be a little more open and lighter. The central atrium area is much more of a main centerpiece than it is on HAL ships. It's really impressive, even on the older Vision Class ships.

The closest thing Rhapsody has to HAL's Crows Nest is the Viking Crown Lounge. The views are excellent up there. However, the coffee bar isn't up there or any other services during the day so you'll find it isn't frequented as much as the Crows Nest on HAL. At night, though, it comes alive because it's the nightclub.

The piano bar is the Schooner Bar. In my opinion, the Schooner Bar on Vision Class is a thousand times more comfortable and open than the piano bar on HAL ships.

I've always found RCI service to be excellent, but there's something special about HAL.

All in all, I think you'll enjoy the Rhapsody.