Balic Cruise/Amsterdam - When To Go?

I know this is a difficult question. I am just reading that August is a prime month in Amsterdam and I was trying to figure out if the latter part of August would be better in terms of cost & crowds.

We are planning our first Baltic Cruise August 2019. We are looking at two, both starting and ending in Amsterdam....12 days including Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Copenhagen, Estonia, Stockholm.

The first is 8/11/19 - 8/23/19 with 2/3 pre cruise days in Amsterdam

There second is 8/23/19 to 9/04/19 again with 2/3 pre days in Amsterdam.

In terms of hotel rates, airfare JFK>AMS, crowds and weather would there be a preference????

Thank you!

We've just returned from our second Baltic cruise, so it was July. We found most places very crowded and too hot. Previously we went mid September and the weather was still good, but far less people. I like the Baltic, but would not go back in July or August.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Both of these dates are high season and Amsterdam and the main sights will be very busy and possibly quite hot. You would do best to avoid July and August totally. You will enjoy it more at other times, as a recently retired couple, we will try to enjoy off peak periods, we had a great trip first 10 days of May this year to the Mediterranean, so much better than high summer.

Both of these dates are high season and Amsterdam and the main sights will be very busy and possibly quite hot. You would do best to avoid July and August totally. You will enjoy it more at other times, as a recently retired couple, we will try to enjoy off peak periods, we had a great trip first 10 days of May this year to the Mediterranean, so much better than high summer.

Agree - I would avoid the months of June through August.

Living near Amsterdam I can tell you at the moment it is hotter then any other year. However we have summer much cooler with lots of rain. Weather around here in Amsterdam isnot stable, so you just never know. We have had summers much cooler with lots of rain too.

Yes there will be many tourists in and around Amsterdam, but certainly not just in July and August, but during many months of the year. It is a populair place for tourists. Better make online reservations for some museums to skip the lines. Anne Frankhuis now accepts only people with reservation no more lines there.

On the other hand many dutch people are taking their vacation during these 2 months in summer and many of them go to Spain. Italy etc.

So it doesnot really matter when you go.

As above, Amsterdam is busy all the time. Don't depend on good weather for July & August as this year is exceptionally hot (also UK.) We have been in previous years in August and it was the heaviest rain we can remember!

We just did that cruise in late April - it was perfect....Fantastic weather and best of all we got to see the tulips at Keukenhof Gardens....something we will never forget....Loved Amsterdam and we were there for Kings Day celebration which was wild......I would go again from late April into early May.

eclue