Uber from POM to Ft Lauderdale Airport question

loug1601

Hi all,

We will be on the Symphony of the Seas, returning to Miami on Saturday 12/08/18.

Are uber cars able to enter the port area? We are thinking of booking our flight home to Newark NJ flying from Ft Lauderdale at 11:53 am. Just us two adults. Should we have enough time to make this flight? Has anyone recently done this?

Our next choice is to fly home from Miami, but the flight doesn’t leave until 1:57 pm and is $144.00 more

Thank you,

Pat and hubby Tom

Yes - Uber is allowed in the port. For your 11:53 flight you need to be at FLL NLT about 10:30 - and 10 would be better given the crush usually found at FLL TSA lines. That translates into off the ship, with bags, clear of customs/immigration and loading into an Uber by about 9:00 or just after. Fare from POM to FLL should be about $35+

We will be doing this in September. When would be a good time to call the Uber? When in line to get off? Or after clear customs? TIA

When you get to the curb. The drivers will likely be hanging in the area, and can show up very quickly.

Thanks CruiserBruce. We are flying in a day ahead of our cruise into Ft Lauderdale. Does anyone happen to know where the Uber drivers park to pick up clients and how do you/we/they know who we are? Sorry all so new to this.

You'll confirm your location and they use GPS; the driver may text or call to confirm your location.

Remember, the neon pink Hawaiian shirt that makes you easy to spot everywhere else, will just blend in with the south FLA crowd.

Perfect thread for me! We are sailing on Celebrity. Come into Miami port and fly out of Ft. Lauderdale at 4:30. From what I read here, looks like UBER is a better plan than paying $30 per person (family of 4) for the transfer transportation? It would come out to $120 for us to do the shuttle. Just want to confirm I am understanding this advice correctly. Thanks!

Perfect thread for me! We are sailing on Celebrity. Come into Miami port and fly out of Ft. Lauderdale at 4:30. From what I read here, looks like UBER is a better plan than paying $30 per person (family of 4) for the transfer transportation? It would come out to $120 for us to do the shuttle. Just want to confirm I am understanding this advice correctly. Thanks!

Most of the shared shuttle charge $15 per person each way, so $30 r/t per person is correct.

For 4 plus bags you'll need UberXL, which will run about $60+ each way for the vehicle -- so price wise it is a wash for your family, but having a dedicated vehicle instead of a shared shuttle is a benefit.

With a 4:30 flight you have hours to kill. I would transport to FLL airport, pay to store your bags, and then head out for a fun lunch or maybe ride the water taxi. The FLL airport is not where you want to sit for extra hours! :(

Most of the shared shuttle charge $15 per person each way, so $30 r/t per person is correct.

For 4 plus bags you'll need UberXL, which will run about $60+ each way for the vehicle -- so price wise it is a wash for your family, but having a dedicated vehicle instead of a shared shuttle is a benefit.

With a 4:30 flight you have hours to kill. I would transport to FLL airport, pay to store your bags, and then head out for a fun lunch or maybe ride the water taxi. The FLL airport is not where you want to sit for extra hours! :(

So helpful. Have never done that. Had not considered storing the bags but we weren't looking forward to a day in the airport either. How does one go about storing bags? $30 seemed high but both Celebrity and our booking agent quoted us the same price, so I guess that is what it is. We were only considering from the port to the airport, so I will need confirm that quote is indeed only one way. I really appreciate your help.

We are 2 adults with 2 large bags, a small rollerbag traveling from Symphony of the Seas in Miami to Fortuna Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. I think because of the luggage we need an Uber XL. Is the $60 quotes I am seeing accurate. When I try the online calculators it comes up more than $90, which is accurate? Maybe we should use a share van, any suggestions there?

So helpful. Have never done that. Had not considered storing the bags but we weren't looking forward to a day in the airport either. How does one go about storing bags? $30 seemed high but both Celebrity and our booking agent quoted us the same price, so I guess that is what it is. We were only considering from the port to the airport, so I will need confirm that quote is indeed only one way. I really appreciate your help.

You can pay to store your bags at FLL (most airlines will not accept bags until 3-4 hours prior to departure), or if you'd prefer to explore South Beach you can pay to store your bags at the Luggage Lounge.

We are 2 adults with 2 large bags, a small rollerbag traveling from Symphony of the Seas in Miami to Fortuna Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. I think because of the luggage we need an Uber XL. Is the $60 quotes I am seeing accurate. When I try the online calculators it comes up more than $90, which is accurate? Maybe we should use a share van, any suggestions there?

Typical UberX is a Toyota Camry or something similar in size - although I've had king cab pick-ups and small Honda Fits. For 2 passengers and bags you should be able to use UberX instead of UberXL - and the fare should be closer to $35-40

You can pay to store your bags at FLL (most airlines will not accept bags until 3-4 hours prior to departure), or if you'd prefer to explore South Beach you can pay to store your bags at the Luggage Lounge.

Wow! You may have just turned a very boring, frustrating day into a great last day of vacation! I appreciate your advice.

With a 4PM departure, I'd do luggage lounge in South Beach since you are already in Miami. Have lunch at Noon, then head back after lunch and go straight to the airport. Luggage Lounge is just off Ocean Drive and you can walk the area easily.

With a 4PM departure, I'd do luggage lounge in South Beach since you are already in Miami. Have lunch at Noon, then head back after lunch and go straight to the airport. Luggage Lounge is just off Ocean Drive and you can walk the area easily.

I love this idea. I really do appreciate your help. This plan is much better than sitting around at the airport. I would have never known about the Luggage Lounge. We had thought about getting a day pass but the flight was too early. With the Luggage Lounge, we can still have a nice lunch and one last taste of vacation before heading home.

Another option is to use Luggage Valet on the ship if it is available. This way your luggage will be transported to the airport and you wont need to worry about them until you reach your destination.

When we asked last week, they said this was not an option, which surprised us. But we will keep an eye out and see if they end up offering it.

When we asked last week, they said this was not an option, which surprised us. But we will keep an eye out and see if they end up offering it.

Because it depends on the cruise line, and the time of the flight. Those are key criteria.