Upsell offer

bimar

We received an offer for our 14 day upcoming Alaska trip on the Zaandam (two weeks out). Go from a Vista (Category A) to a Neptune for the low low low price of only $1,359 per person! Too much for us...for that price, I'd want someone to come to my house and pack my bags for me. :-)

We received an offer for our 14 day upcoming Alaska trip on the Zaandam (two weeks out). Go from a Vista (Category A) to a Neptune for the low low low price of only $1,359 per person! Too much for us...for that price, I'd want someone to come to my house and pack my bags for me. :-)

Lol.....that, and personally drive me to the port.

Maybe they will contact you with something better a week before. :)

That is a bit high IMO, even considering the big difference in sizes of the Vista and Neptune suites. Also, there are fewer Neptunes on the R and S class ships (the Vista class ships have twice as many), so fewer offers are normally made. I use a "rule of thumb" of paying 1/3 rd the price difference of the two categories, taking the lowest priced cabins in each category. In your case this difference is about $3000 normally, so 1/3 rd of that would be $1000. That would come to about $70 per day per person.

What the upgrade is worth is very subjective of course. IMO, if HAL drops the price to around $1000 pp someone will take it. Please let us know what happens.

Can someone explain how to find out what cabins are still available? Sounds like this would be very beneficial knowledge if looking for an upsell. Thx

I think a better way to do it is to study the deckplans and choose the ones you would like if offered. That way you can choose quickly and book before they are sold.

Can someone explain how to find out what cabins are still available? Sounds like this would be very beneficial knowledge if looking for an upsell. Thx

Just do a fake booking on the HAL website. Sometimes they will show up, other times not (if only offering guarantees for example). Keep in mind that while this may tell you which cabins have been assigned already, it really does not accurately tell you how many are left, as the real number left depends on how many guarantees have been sold.

Another point - as another poster already suggested, you should have a copy of the deck plan handy as a new cabin can become open at any time due to a last minute cancellation. This happened to me a month ago, when 5 days prior to sailing I got an upsell offer, even though the Neptunes had been sold out for months. Someone cancelled at the last minute and I got lucky.

Just do a fake booking on the HAL website. Sometimes they will show up, other times not (if only offering guarantees for example). Keep in mind that while this may tell you which cabins have been assigned already, it really does not accurately tell you how many are left, as the real number left depends on how many guarantees have been sold.

Another point - as another poster already suggested, you should have a copy of the deck plan handy as a new cabin can become open at any time due to a last minute cancellation. This happened to me a month ago, when 5 days prior to sailing I got an upsell offer, even though the Neptunes had been sold out for months. Someone cancelled at the last minute and I got lucky.

Depending on how many cabins are still available/unassigned, you may not see all of them in a dummy booking (never more than 10 appear in the booking process). After you look at the deck plans to see what cabins you might like, there is a way to enter a cabin number during a dummy booking. In the old site, I think it's on the page where you choose a category. Not sure about the new site.

Depending on how many cabins are still available/unassigned, you may not see all of them in a dummy booking (never more than 10 appear in the booking process). After you look at the deck plans to see what cabins you might like, there is a way to enter a cabin number during a dummy booking. In the old site, I think it's on the page where you choose a category. Not sure about the new site.

Great point! All the more reason to have a deck plan handy when you call them and to have an idea as to where you want to be.

We are also 3 star mariners and have never received an upsell offer or had much knowledge on the process. However based on the knowledge gained from reading this and other threads (thank you) I decided to see if we could get one for our upcoming Baltic cruise. We originally booked our cruise with one of the large online travel agencies to take advantage of a significant OBC deal. The downside is that apparently e-mails regarding upsells from HAL to the TP can get lost in the sauce and not make it through to the client. When calling HAL directly they will gladly let you know if upsells are available but the details must be handled through your TP. So that's what I did.

We are already booked in an AS vista suite so I was hoping that a move up to a Neptune would not be an exorbitant hike. My bubble was burst when the upsell cost turned out to be a 70% increase over the total cruise fare we are paying for the AS Vista. Well make that 63% if you consider the additional OBC that the agency was willing to kick in. I declined the offer. Since this was my first try at the upsell game did I have unrealistic expectations going in?

We are also 3 star mariners and have never received an upsell offer or had much knowledge on the process. However based on the knowledge gained from reading this and other threads (thank you) I decided to see if we could get one for our upcoming Baltic cruise. We originally booked our cruise with one of the large online travel agencies to take advantage of a significant OBC deal. The downside is that apparently e-mails regarding upsells from HAL to the TP can get lost in the sauce and not make it through to the client. When calling HAL directly they will gladly let you know if upsells are available but the details must be handled through your TP. So that's what I did.

We are already booked in an AS vista suite so I was hoping that a move up to a Neptune would not be an exorbitant hike. My bubble was burst when the upsell cost turned out to be a 70% increase over the total cruise fare we are paying for the AS Vista. Well make that 63% if you consider the additional OBC that the agency was willing to kick in. I declined the offer. Since this was my first try at the upsell game did I have unrealistic expectations going in?

While you likely got a great deal with the online TA, the downside is that not all of them respond well to upsell offers (some do a great job on this, others not). While you can call HAL and ask about upsells you run into two problems. First, if they are not ready to offer upsells to everyone, they will quote you a high price. Second, if they have opened up the sailing to upsells, you basically be the last to know and likely the real good deals will be gone.

As to what is a "good deal" on upsells, it depends on the person of course. I have come up with my own formula (which I do vary from somewhat depending on how badly I want the upsell). I take the lowest fare in the category I want to be upgraded to (Neptune in this case) and subtract from this the lowest fare in the category I am in (Vista) and then divide the difference by 3. This is what I consider to be a fair deal. Remember, HAL often runs several rounds of upsell offers, starting high and working lower (naturally) as it gets closer to the sail date.

I hope this helps.

While you likely got a great deal with the online TA, the downside is that not all of them respond well to upsell offers (some do a great job on this, others not). While you can call HAL and ask about upsells you run into two problems. First, if they are not ready to offer upsells to everyone, they will quote you a high price. Second, if they have opened up the sailing to upsells, you basically be the last to know and likely the real good deals will be gone.

As to what is a "good deal" on upsells, it depends on the person of course. I have come up with my own formula (which I do vary from somewhat depending on how badly I want the upsell). I take the lowest fare in the category I want to be upgraded to (Neptune in this case) and subtract from this the lowest fare in the category I am in (Vista) and then divide the difference by 3. This is what I consider to be a fair deal. Remember, HAL often runs several rounds of upsell offers, starting high and working lower (naturally) as it gets closer to the sail date.

I hope this helps.

I have never failed to get a much lower price by using a TA so I will be sticking with that route. ( That is with choosing the specific cabin I am happy with). That is a more important criteria than a possible good deal on an upsell. Plus, I plan to check on upsells often so that closes the gap for me between a low price and a good upsell. If I call and the price is too high , I can always call again later to see if anything has changed. Agree, I lose an instantaneous switch to the upsell, but I do have a limited budget on what I spend on a cruise so that takes precedence overall for me.

I have never failed to get a much lower price by using a TA so I will be sticking with that route. ( That is with choosing the specific cabin I am happy with). That is a more important criteria than a possible good deal on an upsell. Plus, I plan to check on upsells often so that closes the gap for me between a low price and a good upsell. If I call and the price is too high , I can always call again later to see if anything has changed. Agree, I lose an instantaneous switch to the upsell, but I do have a limited budget on what I spend on a cruise so that takes precedence overall for me.

Good points! You have to weigh the tradeoffs (which you have) and make a decision on which way works best for you. As they say. "one size does not fit all".

On our last cruise onboard the Rotterdam last November, we had booked an obstructed view cabin on the lower Promenade deck. A few weeks before the cruise, I contacted our travel agent and got him to contact Holland America and ask what they would charge us to move up to a suite.

We were able to move up to a guarantee suite on Deck 6, for $375 total for both of us. One day before the cruise, we were assigned a great port side, mid ship cabin.

You never know, sometimes it pays to ask.

Happy cruising

On our last cruise onboard the Rotterdam last November, we had booked an obstructed view cabin on the lower Promenade deck. A few weeks before the cruise, I contacted our travel agent and got him to contact Holland America and ask what they would charge us to move up to a suite.

We were able to move up to a guarantee suite on Deck 6, for $375 total for both of us. One day before the cruise, we were assigned a great port side, mid ship cabin.

You never know, sometimes it pays to ask.

Happy cruising

Good deal!

Just want to let you know what our upsell offer is that we have received a few days ago for our cruise on the Koningsdam 13th May. I always find it interesting to see the offers from other people.

Upgrade for select bookings from your Interior (Category IQ to N)to the following best available:

Unobstructed Verandah (Category VQ to VF) for an additional 199pp EURO

Family Ocean View (Category FA to FB) for an additional 149pp EURO

Ocean View (Category C to F) for an additional 129pp EURO

I hope we receive more with better rates

:D:D:D:D:D

Received a new offer today:

Upgrade for select bookings from your Interior (Category IQ to N) to the following best available:

Unobstructed Verandah (Category VQ to VF) for an additional 179pp EURO

Family Ocean View (Category FA to FB) for an additional 99pp EURO

Ocean View (Category C to F) for an additional 99pp EUR

Upgrade for select bookings from your Interior (Category IQ to N) to the following best available:

Since you still have over 2 weeks to go, there could be one more round yet to come.

Not sure of the exchange rate , but $179 pp sounds good to me.

Just did the current exchange rate....that is $216 pp. I guess I would have to think about that, but not too bad.

Received another upgrade special

Upgrade for select bookings from your Interior (Category IQ to N)to the following best available:

Unobstructed Verandah (Category VQ to VF) for an additional 149pp EURO

Family Ocean View (Category FA to FB) for an additional 79pp EURO

Ocean View (Category C to F) for an additional 49pp EURO

We didn't take any of these offers.

But the next day we received a new confirmation and saw that we where upgraded for free to an OV cat C

Because the cabin was below the BB King we didn't know if we should be happy about this.

Called HAL the day after and asked if an upgrade to verandah was possible. They had to check with the headoffice.

And it was :cool::cool::cool:. We are now in an aft verandah for eur 99 per person.

But the next day we received a new confirmation and saw that we where upgraded for free to an OV cat C

Because the cabin was below the BB King we didn't know if we should be happy about this.

Called HAL the day after and asked if an upgrade to verandah was possible. They had to check with the headoffice.

And it was :cool::cool::cool:. We are now in an aft verandah for eur 99 per person.

FANTASTIC. Thanks for sharing. This is very helpful to others. Have a wonderful cruise!

I figured last week that another, better one was coming your way.

Yay!

An aft cabin!!!! Fabulous upgrade. Have a wonderful cruise.....very happy for you!