Poor service

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:28 AM.
Amsterdam
20 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Over a year ago I expressed my interest for a single cabin on Cunard's world cruise, departing next January. As the available cabin were already booked, my name was put on the waitlist, for which I received a reference number: XGWD3W.
Never heard again from Cunard.

I also requested a visit to the QE when it would dock for a stop over in The Netherlands, two times this year (Amsterdam & Rotterdam). I was called by a Dutch speaking lady who promised she would arrange this for me.

No World Cruise on Q802H for me it seems.
Poor service from Cunard: really disappointing.

BH13 - England
2,528 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by Vronsky
Over a year ago I expressed my interest for a single cabin on Cunard's world cruise, departing next January. As the available cabin were already booked, my name was put on the waitlist, for which I received a reference number: XGWD3W.

I also requested a visit to the QE when it would dock for a stop over in The Netherlands, two times this year (Amsterdam & Rotterdam). I was called by a Dutch speaking lady who promised she would arrange this for me.

Just a thought.
Ask your PCC to 'move' your "Single" booking to a "Double" and volunteer to pay the 75% extra for the 'missing' person.
Larger stateroom could be the benefit, but check the costings.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
There are those who have, and those who have Yachts.
berkshire
1,160 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
If you didn't hear anything about your waitlist then you have to take it that no single staterooms came available for the sail date. Cunard wouldn't normally contact customers to advise them, unless one happens to have a personal ( Cunard) cruise agent.
I have occasionally been on a waitlist , if I don't hear within a month before sailing, I'll contact them to see what else would be suitable within my budget .
Oslo, Norway
898 Posts
Joined Oct 2001
On board visit passes are very rare these days, who was your contact? Did you contact them afterwards?

For this kind of bookings you need a solid Travel Agent, Cunard ground services are not terribly good.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
  • QM2 Westbound Transatlantic Sept 2016
  • Celestial Olympia Aegean Sea March 2016
  • Richard With (Hurtigruten) Bergen to Trondheim Aug 2015
  • Trollfjord (Hurtigruten) Bodø -Kirkenes Sep 10
  • Eurodam Aruba /Curacao (RSVP) Feb 2010
  • Nautica (Oceania) Black Sea Aug 2009
  • Eurodam Eastern Caribbean (RSVP) Feb 2009
  • QM2 Tandem Eastbound Transatlantic with QE2 Oct 2008
  • QE2 Last Westbound Transatlantic Oct 2008
  • Finnmarken (Hurtigruten) Trondheim-Bergen Sep 08
  • Zuiderdam Western Caribbean (RSVP) Feb 2008
  • Century Western Med Oct 2007
  • QE2 Channel cruise Oct 2006
  • Richard With (Hurtigruten) Tromsø-Bergen Sept 2006
  • Richard With (Hurtigruten) Ålesund-Tromsø May 2006
  • Brilliance of the Seas Med (Atlantis charter) Sep 2005
  • QE2 Norwegian Fjords June 2005
  • Kong Harald (Hurtigruten) Aug 2003 Trondheim - Bergen
  • Maasdam Eastern Caribbean Mar 2003
  • QE2 Westbound Transatlantic Dec 2002
  • Olympic Voyager Eastern Med Oct 2001
  • Arcadia (P&O) Caribbean/Panama Dec 2000
  • Oriana (P&O) Eastern Med Nov 1999
  • Jubilee Mex Riviera Oct 1991
  • Royal Princess Amsterdam-Tilbury August 1990
  • Royal & Island Princess Purser's Desk Crew1988-89
Market Harborough, UK
777 Posts
Joined Aug 2000

Quite often ship tours are easier to arrange through a cruise travel agent. Worth a try.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Trevor Lake
USA
44 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
This indeed is why God Invented the Travel Agent. Cruise lines today are built around web-based sales, not personalised service or "getting back" to anyone. You click, you pay, you go. Anything more complicated, you need a travel agent.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

FRANCE-RAFFAELLO-LEONARDO DA VINCI-STEFAN BATORY-QUEEN ELIZABETH 2-CANBERRA-UGANDA-GUGLIELMO MARCONI-EUROPA-CENTAUR-VISTAFJORD-BALTIKA-ORIANA-ACHILLE LAURO-OCEANIC-BRITANIS-AKDENIZ-ROTTERDAM-ST. HELENA-EUGENIO C.-BLACK PRINCE-BLACK WATCH-R7-PILGRIM BELLE-REGAL EMPRESS-VICTORIA-REGATTA-MAASDAM-CARONIA-QUEEN MARY 2-EURODAM-NIEUW AMSTERDAM-MARINA-RIVIERA-QUEEN ELIZABETH
Brooksville FL
3,609 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by laktex
Quite often ship tours are easier to arrange through a cruise travel agent. Worth a try.
Yes, Cruise TA's often have cruise line connections and can pre arrange a ship tour for a group of potential clients.
Trying to get a Visitor Pass on your own would be very difficult in this post 9/11 world.

Expecting a notification that your waitlist did not clear , won't happen.
Previous post suggesting waitlisting as Double Occ. rather than Single would increase your chances of clearing . Cunard prefers having 2 guests per cabin spending onboard .
Amsterdam
20 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
To summarize your comments >
  1. the Single Cabin option appears to be a scam to lure you into a Double Cabin
  2. their webshop is unreliable
At least their slogan 'More than you imagined' seems right.
UK
275 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
To summarize your comments >

1. the Single Cabin option appears to be a scam to lure you into a Double Cabin
  2. their webshop is unreliable
At least their slogan 'More than you imagined' seems right.
A limited number of single cabins are available, but you were too late to book one and, to nobody's surprise except yours, Cunard didn't contact you just to say none had become available. This may represent a "scam" to you but others wouldn't agree.
Amsterdam
20 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Originally posted by Teddy123
A limited number of single cabins are available, but you were too late to book one and, to nobody's surprise except yours, Cunard didn't contact you just to say none had become available. This may represent a "scam" to you but others wouldn't agree.
You're probably right, perhaps I am indeed expecting way too much for a >25,000 USD ticket
Staffordshire
1,973 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
You're probably right, perhaps I am indeed expecting way too much for a >25,000 USD ticket
Doesnt matter how much it costs for ticket if because there are so few single cabins they quickly sell out and unless there is a cancellation those on the waitlist will never get allocated a cabin.
Boca Raton, Florida
2,913 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
I saw nothing here about poor service. You went on a wait list, and you should not expect to hear anything directly from Cunard unless a cabin becomes available. As to an inspection tour prior to the voyage, a completely unrealistic expectation, as these all but impossible to achieve these days. Imagine if everyone booking the ship wanted such before-hand, regardless of the cruise cost. BTW, one can easily spend 25,000+ just on a 7 night QM2 trans Atlantic!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Best regards,

Lou Betti
Boca Raton, FL
Amsterdam
20 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Originally posted by loubetti
I saw nothing here about poor service. You went on a wait list, and you should not expect to hear anything directly from Cunard unless a cabin becomes available. As to an inspection tour prior to the voyage, a completely unrealistic expectation, as these all but impossible to achieve these days. Imagine if everyone booking the ship wanted such before-hand, regardless of the cruise cost. BTW, one can easily spend 25,000+ just on a 7 night QM2 trans Atlantic!
..sure wish I had more customers like you, Lou