Walking/hiking sticks/poles

I’ve tried to read the security rules but it wasn’t specific enough.

Are walking sticks, like collapsible hiking poles, allowed on the ship? (Not for use on the ship, but at excursions.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok. Thanks. That list was the first one I think I saw. Then the list in the “Guest Ticket Book” it reads as “these and other similar items...” which is kind of vague so I was looking for a little more antidotal evidence.

Are walking sticks, like collapsible hiking poles, allowed on the ship? (Not for use on the ship, but at excursions.)

Brought mine along for an RCI cruise last year with a lot of hiking excursions. No problem.

Saw tons of these on our recent (last month) Celebrity cruise. Has anyone actually used them? Are they helpful or just one more thing you have to keep up with, like an umbrella?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Saw tons of these on our recent (last month) Celebrity cruise. Has anyone actually used them? Are they helpful or just one more thing you have to keep up with, like an umbrella?

I like to have something to hold onto on uneven ground. I also like to poke things with a stick.

They are usually super light weight and can be folded or collapsed and stuck in a bag so rarely do I feel it’s in the way or that I’m having to keep up with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Update!!

I took my poles. Mine are missing the rubber tips on the end and my bag was sent to the Naughty Room while my mom had her rubber tip and hers made it through fine.

At the Naughty Room the guy at the scanner made a big deal about them, asking why I needed them, how often I used them, if they were necessary, inspected the tips (without the rubber ends there is a metal “point” at the end)... then turned to the woman sitting at the table labeling the confiscated items and said something to her (like, “what about these?”) and she gave him a weird look, hardly glanced at the poles and said “those? Those are perfectly fine”. I was handed back the poles and my bag and left.

After that I secured them to the side of my backpack and they were never questioned again. (I feel if they had been that way when I boarded they wouldn’t have been questioned.)

They did come in handy in Tulum. (Well, one did. The other was never used. One is mine and one my son’s because he usually wants what I have unless I bring him his own and then I have to carry it) and past that they are lightweight enough that they weren’t a bother at all.

Glad I took them.

Just back from Alaska and had no problem bringing in hiking poles. The issue for us was flying with them. They must be in a checked bag not a carry on unless you actually use them like a cane for walking (which we did see several older people using).

Our friends did carry ons only so we had to pack their poles in our checked bags for the flight. They came in handy for our hike up Mt Roberts in Juneau!

My original poles I use for hiking wouldn’t fit in my suitcase so I index up ordering new ones that separate into 3 folding sections. They will be much easier to carry on my backpack when hiking locally so it was a win-win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just back from Alaska and had no problem bringing in hiking poles. The issue for us was flying with them. They must be in a checked bag not a carry on unless you actually use them like a cane for walking (which we did see several older people using).

Our friends did carry ons only so we had to pack their poles in our checked bags for the flight. They came in handy for our hike up Mt Roberts in Juneau!

My original poles I use for hiking wouldn’t fit in my suitcase so I index up ordering new ones that separate into 3 folding sections. They will be much easier to carry on my backpack when hiking locally so it was a win-win.

That's odd. I carry my hiking poles strapped to my carry-on on every flight for the last 10 years or more. Never been stopped or questioned about them.

That includes our trip to Alaska where just about every other person on the plane had hiking poles strapped to their backpack/carry-ons.

That's odd. I carry my hiking poles strapped to my carry-on on every flight for the last 10 years or more. Never been stopped or questioned about them.

That includes our trip to Alaska where just about every other person on the plane had hiking poles strapped to their backpack/carry-ons.

I based my comment on the prohibited items list on the airlines website. I would have much preferred to carry on for sure.

You apparently don't have any physical problems that make hiking difficult. I love to hike but my knees don't. My hiking poles allow me to do a lot of hiking with a lot less knee pain.

You apparently don't have any physical problems that make hiking difficult. I love to hike but my knees don't. My hiking poles allow me to do a lot of hiking with a lot less knee pain.

That’s a little unfair.

I don’t have any physical problems that make hiking difficult but I do enjoy to have a hiking pole handy.

I rather like having something in my hands. And while I don’t have any physical limitations, having a hiking pole at hand makes stepping up or down on rocks or shelves much easier. But, I also like to use a handrail when going up or down stairs.

You can get a retractable hiking pole pretty cheap at Walmart. They are decent poles and it would give you an idea if you like it or not. Being retractable, you can try several different height settings. Some people like a tall pole like a walking stick reaching up near their head, some people like it Low like a cane. I like mine so my arm is about a 90 (ish) degree angle (depending on what kind of hiking I’m doing.)

Hiking poles also come in handy when you need to poke something with a stick. You know, like that dead animal... you know the one! Or that weird looking bug! Or to knock down spider webs or to hold aside spiky vines or tall grass. Or to fish your hat out of the water when a big gust of wind blows it in.

There are just so many things to do with one besides just lean on it!

That’s a little unfair.

I don’t have any physical problems that make hiking difficult but I do enjoy to have a hiking pole handy.

I rather like having something in my hands. And while I don’t have any physical limitations, having a hiking pole at hand makes stepping up or down on rocks or shelves much easier. But, I also like to use a handrail when going up or down stairs.

You can get a retractable hiking pole pretty cheap at Walmart. They are decent poles and it would give you an idea if you like it or not. Being retractable, you can try several different height settings. Some people like a tall pole like a walking stick reaching up near their head, some people like it Low like a cane. I like mine so my arm is about a 90 (ish) degree angle (depending on what kind of hiking I’m doing.)

Hiking poles also come in handy when you need to poke something with a stick. You know, like that dead animal... you know the one! Or that weird looking bug! Or to knock down spider webs or to hold aside spiky vines or tall grass. Or to fish your hat out of the water when a big gust of wind blows it in.

There are just so many things to do with one besides just lean on it!

Who knew? Lol. Thanks!

Unfortunately yes, at least they were on Allure in 2013. If you are taking them for hiking on an island somewhere I apologize, but I've encountered them on the running tracks on many ships and I can't see why people would need them there. As annoying at the guy walking laps reading a book on his tablet and wandering all over the place.

Unfortunately yes, at least they were on Allure in 2013. If you are taking them for hiking on an island somewhere I apologize, but I've encountered them on the running tracks on many ships and I can't see why people would need them there. As annoying at the guy walking laps reading a book on his tablet and wandering all over the place.

Well I actually said “Not for use n the ship...”.

But why would you care if someone was using a walking stick or hiking pole on the track? The ship does move and maybe they feel more stable with something to lean against.

When someone says "I can't see" they usually can't.

There is actually an exercise regimen using hiking/trekking poles called Balance Walking or Nordic Walking. Perhaps that was what was going on.

I am a member of an international walking club. While I don't personally use walking sticks some of our members tend towards the older side and they feel more comfortable using walking sticks no manner the terrain.

A ship can rock, if someone feels more comfortable using walking sticks more power to them.

Any type of exercise is a good thing, no manner the age of the participant or how they accomplish it.

• 1 year later...
On 6/26/2018 at 5:10 PM, BillOh said:

I suffer from Peripheral Arterial Disease. The recommended treatment is walking. I try to walk 5km per day but need my Nordic Walking Poles to do so. I have a letter from my doctor confirming my need of the poles.

I sought clearance from Holland America to use the poles on deck on a forthcoming cruise. This was denied. I appealed, using photographs of the poles to demonstrate how harmless they are. The end result is that I will not be able to use them on board nor will I be allowed to store them in my cabin. Security will hold the poles and give them to me for days ashore.