Tower of Pisa- most economical way to get there from port

shenkean

Hello,

We would like to get to tower of Pisa on our own. What is the cheapest way to do it and makes most sense? We are a family of 4- 2 kids , ages 14 and 12. Also, do you recommend pre-booking the tickets?

Thanks in advance.

We hired a car for four people. It could not have been easier. The car was waiting for us at the port. I did a bit of research on parking near pisa, which I could help you with.

It meant we could stay as long or short as we wished. We then called into a fishing village on 5he way back for a pizza and a spot of lunch. Send me a pm and I'll give you more details.

Kevin

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Forums mobile app

We hired a car for four people. It could not have been easier. The car was waiting for us at the port. I did a bit of research on parking near pisa, which I could help you with.

It meant we could stay as long or short as we wished. We then called into a fishing village on 5he way back for a pizza and a spot of lunch. Send me a pm and I'll give you more details.

Kevin

Dear Kevin Dob, looks like pm is disabled on this forum. How else can I get in touch with you. Thank you for teh information - I would like to try to take that route, if possible

Our DIY experience in Livorno...

We were notified the night before that there was a "train strike" for our stop in Livorno. We cancelled our plans to travel by train to Florence and Pisa.

Once we arrived in Livorno, we decided to simply take the shuttle from the ship to town...and just walk around town. During the shuttle ride, a few passengers were mad because they found out there wasn't a strike and the trains were r actually unning this day. It was already late (we took our time getting off the ship), around 10am, so there wasn't enough time to go to Florence. Once we confirmed that the trains were in fact running...we decided to at least visit Pisa.

The shuttle dropped us off very near the tourist information office (close to Mcdonald's). From there, we crossed the street and took the bus to the train station. The bus took approximately 10 minutes. At the train station, we purchased roundtrip tickets to Pisa. Note: We did this "on the fly". If we had to do it again, perhaps we would share a taxi ride from the ship straight to the train station...and leave earlier if we were doing BOTH Pisa and Florence.

The train ride was very quick...ONE stop!...it was fun taking the train with school children, businessmen and women, and all the locals. They were all willing to help...someone will tell you the stop for Pisa. Don't blink because you'll miss it.

Outside the train station, you'll see a large map. You can take a taxi, a bus, or a leisurely walk. We decided to walk (we use the treadmill everyday so this was a good time to do our exercise)...it turned out to be a great idea. It took us approximately 30 minutes of slow walking among the locals, smelling the wonderful restaurants, cafes, shops,...and then just inside a wall...the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Pretty easy to follow the map, but if you get lost, again there's always someone to help you find your way.

There isn't much there, the Leaning Tower, a museum, the basilica, and numerous vendors. Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get back. Note: When you get back to Livorno, it's best to take a taxi from the train station back to the ship.

(Cost: This was years ago, so the prices may have changed...bus was approximately 1Euro each way, train was approximately 3.5Euros r/t...not sure how much a taxi would cost but would guess 15Euros one way from the train station back to the ship.) Happy Sailing and have a great day in Pisa. :)

Our DIY experience in Livorno...

We were notified the night before that there was a "train strike" for our stop in Livorno. We cancelled our plans to travel by train to Florence and Pisa.

Once we arrived in Livorno, we decided to simply take the shuttle from the ship to town...and just walk around town. During the shuttle ride, a few passengers were mad because they found out there wasn't a strike and the trains were r actually unning this day. It was already late (we took our time getting off the ship), around 10am, so there wasn't enough time to go to Florence. Once we confirmed that the trains were in fact running...we decided to at least visit Pisa.

The shuttle dropped us off very near the tourist information office (close to Mcdonald's). From there, we crossed the street and took the bus to the train station. The bus took approximately 10 minutes. At the train station, we purchased roundtrip tickets to Pisa. Note: We did this "on the fly". If we had to do it again, perhaps we would share a taxi ride from the ship straight to the train station...and leave earlier if we were doing BOTH Pisa and Florence.

The train ride was very quick...ONE stop!...it was fun taking the train with school children, businessmen and women, and all the locals. They were all willing to help...someone will tell you the stop for Pisa. Don't blink because you'll miss it.

Outside the train station, you'll see a large map. You can take a taxi, a bus, or a leisurely walk. We decided to walk (we use the treadmill everyday so this was a good time to do our exercise)...it turned out to be a great idea. It took us approximately 30 minutes of slow walking among the locals, smelling the wonderful restaurants, cafes, shops,...and then just inside a wall...the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Pretty easy to follow the map, but if you get lost, again there's always someone to help you find your way.

There isn't much there, the Leaning Tower, a museum, the basilica, and numerous vendors. Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get back. Note: When you get back to Livorno, it's best to take a taxi from the train station back to the ship.

(Cost: This was years ago, so the prices may have changed...bus was approximately 1Euro each way, train was approximately 3.5Euros r/t...not sure how much a taxi would cost but would guess 15Euros one way from the train station back to the ship.) Happy Sailing and have a great day in Pisa. :)

Thank you!

We went last year in August...plenty of minibuses at port...we found a driver and shared his minibus with another family...20 euros return per person..bargain...he dropped us near the tower and returned 3 hours later,,,this was long enough.... much cheaper than through cruise line

Hello,

We would like to get to tower of Pisa on our own. What is the cheapest way to do it and makes most sense? We are a family of 4- 2 kids , ages 14 and 12. Also, do you recommend pre-booking the tickets?

Thanks in advance.

When we disembarked there were lots of taxi / mini bus drivers offering trips we shared a mini bus there were seven of us and the cost was €140 in total.

We had two hours at Pisa which was long enough before the driver picked us up to return to the ship.

We paid at the end of the trip.

We used the train in town. I remembered it was a little way to walk to but that might be because we didn't have a map. Took the train to Pisa saw it, came back. All for about $4 euro. its a one and done kind of place. Really cute town too

Dear Kevin Dob, looks like pm is disabled on this forum. How else can I get in touch with you. Thank you for teh information - I would like to try to take that route, if possible
Hi.

If you post your email address on here, I'll send you the details. Happy to help. You probably don't want to... I'll put a big post together with the details and post it on here.

Kevin

These details and prices were for our cruise taken in 2016.

Car Hire:

We booked car hire through Avis with Rentalcars.com whichcost about £60.

We also took out CAREXCESS INSURANCE. This will cost youabout £5 (less than $10) and, if in the unfortunate event you have an accident,you have the excess covered too.

The car was at the port when we arrived. On return, we leftthe car with the keys on the seat. It was all so easy.

Parking Restrictions:

As you would expect there are many parking restrictionsaround the Tower and you must really be careful where you drive as you can becaught on a camera and fined through the rental agency. Please take time toresearch the traffic signs used in Italy, it can save you heartache later.

We found a car park which isabout a 10 minute, short walk, from the Tower. The walk is lined with touristbooths, so it is quite a popular car park.

Free parking-lotVia Pietrasantina

Restrooms:

Go before you go!!! At the Tower there is only one area ofRestrooms. The queue for the female Restrooms can be quite a challenge!!

We then drove up to the area of Viareggio for lunch. Thereare bars and restaurants along the beach. Take a look on any of the touristinformation sites for this area and they will give you some great ideas to suityou and your party.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

Thanks in advance.

If you mean tickets for the tower as you want to climb the tower you really have to book tickets. They do sell out and with 4 of you there would be little chance of getting standby. If you intend to go by train and mean train tickets there is no advantage to pre-booking

There isn't much there, the Leaning Tower, a museum, the basilica, and numerous vendors. Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get back.

The architectural ensemble is one of the most amazing in Italy, a country which boasts lots of wonderful architecture. The good and rich citizens of Pisa built a very large baptism chapel, an amazing cathedral, an astonishing cemetery and a tower outside the city center but still inside the wall. You have the best view when you come in through the city gate, something everyone does who starts on the huge parking lot.

If architecture and history are not your thing, you are wasting your time in Pisa.